About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Keeping it Light with NEMO, Patagonia, and Sea to Summit

2:27 a.m. on August 2, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
397 reviewer rep
963 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Keeping it Light with NEMO, Patagonia, and Sea to Summit"

Gear gets lighter every year, but NEMO, Patagonia, and Sea to Summit strike the balance between lightweight performance and comfort with these new products.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2013/08/02/keeping-it-light-with-nemo-patagonia-and-sea-to-summit-at-outdoor-retailer.html

9:56 a.m. on August 2, 2013 (EDT)
1,347 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Why do I get nervous when I hear the phrase 'highly water-resistant'?

12:12 p.m. on August 4, 2013 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Peter1955 said:

Why do I get nervous when I hear the phrase 'highly water-resistant'?

Lol, I guess we share the same fear. It is just another way to say "it might keep ya dry, but then again it might not." ;)

8:09 a.m. on August 7, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,629 reviewer rep
586 forum posts

I've noted lately that fewer and fewer products are claiming to be waterproof. That's fine, since I've often questioned how something that is waterproof can also be "breathable."

Seth, do you have a pic of that Sea To Summit Tarp deployed?

11:48 a.m. on August 7, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,040 reviewer rep
1,006 forum posts

Maybe the Alipne Houdini is just made of uber-light SilNylon?...regular Houdinis weigh around 5 oz, and are highly breathable/moderately water resistant...an ounce of weight for seam tape and a silicone coating would kinda check out...

11:52 a.m. on August 19, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
397 reviewer rep
963 forum posts

Hi Goose - here is an official image from Sea to Summit:

Sea-to-Summit_Escapist-Tarp.jpg

5:59 p.m. on August 19, 2013 (EDT)
2,249 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts

I have had a Houdini for a number of years (the Alpine Houdini is a new version). The Alpine has the pocket oriented differently (vertical zipper instead of horizontal). Mine has a really long-lasting DWR, but is quite breathable. It continues to shed a light drizzle quite well, though not a full-on "fire-hose" thunderstorm. Mine measures 4 ounces. I am posting a review of it in the next few days.

10:05 p.m. on August 19, 2013 (EDT)
3,629 reviewer rep
586 forum posts

Thanks, Seth. Interesting set up.

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply