About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Q&A with Seth Levy, Trailspace's Community Evangelist

7:00 a.m. on November 20, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Q&A with Seth Levy, Trailspace's Community Evangelist"

We know him as Seth Levy, Trailspace Community Evangelist and Review Corps Coordinator. But, there's much more. Today we turn the Q&A on Seth.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2013/11/20/seth-levy-community-evangelist.html

9:57 a.m. on November 20, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
924 forum posts

Seth is way too polite to say it, but his typical workday also involves a heavy dose of decoding and reconciling the often cryptic and sometimes contradictory priorities that Alicia and I throw at him. He handles all of it with aplomb. We're grateful to have the benefit of his good nature and sound judgement.

10:31 a.m. on November 20, 2013 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,629 reviewer rep
586 forum posts

Licking deer! Hilarious and frightening. I still have a tarp moment involving a raccoon on it's hind legs sniffing at me in my hammock...the thing is, I'm not sure if it was a dream or if it really happened.

12:29 p.m. on November 20, 2013 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,269 reviewer rep
317 forum posts

Awesome Seth!

I too have had a deer lick me while sleeping once (in a hammock)...this is nothing to laugh at...deer tongues are very gross looking...I might have a little PTSD from the whole affair:-(

Oh!...and the The Complete Walker is probably one of my favorite all-time books...great read even if you're not a gear head:-)

12:58 p.m. on November 20, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

Thank you, Seth! You rock and are a wonderful, positive asset for Trailspace and our community.

I am also grateful that Seth said the worst part of his job was spreadsheets. Whew.

3:05 p.m. on November 20, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
488 reviewer rep
1,109 forum posts

Awesome, thanks for the read! The Review Corp has already expressed appreciation to Seth (his efforts are clearly evident with that group) so it's really good to see an article of this kind.

I love my shaped tarp (I don't use a bivy) and I do get the occasional curious visitor but none as funny (or terrifying) as that! I say kudos to that girlfriend for even being able to sleep in an open tarp; my wife would try it but she would be up all night for sure.

4:53 p.m. on November 20, 2013 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,953 reviewer rep
386 forum posts

You're a brave man, Seth!

I finally did without a bug net on my last trip, but opted to keep a few feet above the ground in a hammock! Don't know how y'all can manage on the ground like that! 

Thanks as always to a kind fella whose hard work's always appreciated here on TS - nice, too, to learn a little more about ya!

9:44 p.m. on November 20, 2013 (EST)
2,249 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts

Never had a deer lick me (or a girlfriend). But when I was Nature Counselor at Camp Emerson (Idyllwild, CA) and had taken a troop of Boy Scouts out for an overnight, I was rudely awakened in the middle of the night by something forcing his way under my hammock. I looked out to see a 6-point buck staring at me over his shoulder - seems I had picked two trees to attach the hammock that marked the deer herd's trail to the nearby meadow. Some of the young scouts woke up and were staring in disbelief. I think I was lucky that deer know when to duck their heads and antlers as they go through the night.

A tip of the Trailspace cap and all hail to the Chief of Gear Reviews!

9:47 p.m. on November 20, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
571 forum posts

Some of the top beards of all time, in no particular order.....

Gandalf, james harden, the entire boston red sox team 2013, tom hanks in castaway, wolverine, abraham lincon, seth levy.

Take a bow good sir. That is some elite company.

9:24 a.m. on November 21, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
397 reviewer rep
963 forum posts

Thanks Jake! My beard has been shorter these days. I got tired of it getting caught in zippers, dipped in ice-cream, etc.. But I have noticed my neck gets colder now!

The young lady and I had a conversation about WHY the deer choose her. She contended that it was because she smelled better. I contended that her face was saltier!

3:47 p.m. on November 21, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,107 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

It's funny how the story of the tarp and deer licking caught everyone's attention, including mine, perhaps because we all have similar experiences. While in a bivy, I've woken up to mice bouncing over the top of me and also to a toad staring me in the face...I think that was my one true chance of finding my prince but alas, I passed it up. I tarp-camped for several nights in the Smokies once and couldn't shake the idea of bears having a taste of my face...luckily none did. As thin as that nylon is, it's amazing the sense of security that a tent provides. It's also almost a must in Everglades country, because of the hordes of mosquitoes. Now we have the added threat of 15' pythons trying to snuggle...all the more incentive to go with a hammock.

Thanks for all your work with the review corps Seth, and for sharing all the rest that you do! Intriguing!

7:35 p.m. on November 21, 2013 (EST)
2,249 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts

Seth said:

The young lady and I had a conversation about WHY the deer choose her. She contended that it was because she smelled better. I contended that her face was saltier!

Ummm, Seth, you are old enough to know better than that! The lady (young or old) is ALWAYS sweeter than any male, even well along on a thru-hike. And, if you make permanent arrangements, she is ALWAYS and forever 21 years old (even after 45 anniversaries of pledging your troth).

11:58 a.m. on November 23, 2013 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

You sound like one busy guy Seth!

I also appreciate your outlook on outdoor pursuits.

April 21, 2014
Quick Reply