Blazing a Good Trail: The AT in Maine (Part Three)

9:48 a.m. on November 19, 2007 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,050 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Blazing a Good Trail: The AT in Maine (Part Three)"

Getting to the top of C Bluff Mountain is our next mission. From shore it looks steep, rocky, dense, though the Bates party made it to the summit, ultimately blazing a spur trail for the AT. Surely we can gain the ridge without too much trouble.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2007/11/19/blazing-a-good-trail-the-at-in-maine-part-three.html

9:22 p.m. on November 19, 2007 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

Alicia, I thoroughly enjoyed your AT trail article. I'm going to put a comment over in the Backpacking section, since I believe every backpacker and outdoors person, whether a newby or experienced, ought to read it. It is especially great to read the thoughts of someone who has the connection of a relative who helped build the trail.

9:30 p.m. on November 19, 2007 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts
Alicia's article on Blazing the AT

I just finished reading the third section of Alicia's article on the Blazing of the AT (http://www.trailspace.com/news/2007/11/19/blazing-a-good-trail-the-at-in-maine-part-three.html). If you haven't read it, and the first two parts, I strongly recommend it. First of all, it is really fantastic to have the thoughts of someone whose relative was instrumental in blazing an important section of the AT, and even more fantastic that it is Alicia, one of the principles in Trailspace (don't tell Dave I said this - Alicia is really the most important of the Founders and Keepers Trailspace - just kidding, Dave).

Anyway, that's the kind of thing we need more of - people's thoughts on their trips, whether newbies (like Blackbeard's First Backpack) or Alicia's viewpoint of a very experienced outdoorsperson, who is part of a familial line of woodsy folk.

Great writing, and a great read, Alicia! (yeah, yeah, I know, I should have put all this in the "article comments", and I did say something there, too. But I want to encourage people to read all 3 installments).

10:27 p.m. on November 21, 2007 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,050 forum posts
Re: Alicia's article on Blazing the AT

Thanks a lot, Bill. I appreciate the kind comments.

Following my great-uncle's scouting route was a unique opportunity to hike his same original section of trail and have that historical perspective. I'm really glad I went and did it this past summer. It's something I've been interested in for years.

Originally I thought of it as a simple hike from point A to point B. But like many an interesting hike or project, it left me with more unanswered than answered questions. And like all good hikes and projects, it challenged a lot of my expectations and taught me a lot in the process (cliche but true).

9:41 p.m. on November 29, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
141 forum posts
Re: Alicia's article on Blazing the AT

Maine's a section of AT that relatively few hikers see, and one which commands much respect.

I was struck in Waterman's account regarding history of Northeast hiking trails, about the AT's Connecticut section history, and the political conservatism of early trail builders -- a topic that bears little relevance to Maine.

The extreme deferance to landowners seems, in retrospect, perhaps foolish, given the relatively recent federal government's involvement.

Personally, I very mucy eny the United Kingdom's policy that enables hikers and campers to go nearly anywhere they like without much reference to "property rights."

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply