Recommend Your Favorite Outdoor Store

5:53 p.m. on January 7, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
670 reviewer rep
3,092 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Recommend Your Favorite Outdoor Store"

Recently I extolled the virtues of local specialty outdoor stores for their knowledgeable salespeople and customer service. I’m still a believer, as long as it's the right store. On Monday morning I was in the parking lot of our local ski shop, Aardvark Outfitters, before it even opened for business. While I was away over the holidays I’d received a message that the rest of my new AT ...

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2009/01/07/recommend-your-favorite-outdoor-store-to-others.html

11:32 p.m. on January 21, 2009 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

At risk of making them busier than they already are, Backcountry Outfitters in Traverse City, Michigan is tough to beat. The employees are knowledgable, friendly and helpful; the store carries quite a bit for being small (2 stores helps), but can order anything they don't carry. They don't hesitate to make recommendations, but aren't pushy. Just a pleasure to shop.

8:11 p.m. on January 22, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,493 forum posts

Hi possum,
Hey...your avatar looks more like a river otter than a possum.
Just joking of course.

Rock Creek Outfitters in Chattanooga TN also had two stores, one for hikers and backpackers, and one for canoers and kayakers. Both within walking distance of one another.

They had a large pool set up so you could try out canoes and kayaks.

Is canoers a word?

7:30 p.m. on February 19, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I've had great experiences at Mountain Gear www.mountaingear.com in Spokane, Washington. They have lots of esoteric stuff, not only the usual brands. They seem to care about me and that I enjoy my trip rather than just trying to make a sale. They also know the local area and get involved with the community putting on events from Film and athlete tours to learn to climb and canoe classes.

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply