Independence: Pass it on

7:17 p.m. on February 16, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,993 forum posts
This thread is for comments on the article "Independence: Pass it on"
My father died from cancer this month. It goes without saying that this is a grievous event in my life. However, death is also an event each of us will come to eventually, a realization that naturally brings forth thoughts of how one is living his or her ...
Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2009/02/16/independence-pass-it-on.html
7:59 p.m. on February 16, 2009 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

When you're a kid, every day is independence day. Your father was your George Washington. Though I never met him, I can tell from your story that he was kind and wise.

I too had a dad like that. Every life-molding mistake I made, I made because I was allowed to. It helped me grow. He knew it, and watched as I grew into a man. I only hope that in the short 19 years I got to spend with my father that I learned enough to be half the man he was.

You were blessed, Alicia, to have a dad who loved you and the outdoors equally. May his final journey be a peaceful one.

9:05 p.m. on February 16, 2009 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

Alicia, My thoughts are with you. your story hits home quite a bit and I too appreciate the independence and self sufficentcy my I was taught by my parents.

6:33 p.m. on February 18, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Alicia,

My wife and I extend our condolences. My wife Susan lost her mother to cancer Dec. 22, 2008 and had to hold the funeral on Christmas Eve. It was unexpected and hit the family hard.

So we understand what you are going through, God bless. My wife says it is the memories of her mom's strong commitment to their family that gives her the strength to cope with the loss.

9:34 p.m. on February 19, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,993 forum posts

Thanks to the many kinds words posted above. I appreciate them all.

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply