About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Outdoor Retailer: Day 4 - All good things come to an end

11:59 p.m. on July 24, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,219 reviewer rep
5,180 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Outdoor Retailer: Day 4 - All good things come to an end"

Bill S offers his take on Day Four, covering Injinji, Hilleberg, Leki, Adventure Medical Kits, Lowrance, Grivel, Bushnell, Petzl, Omega Pacific, and Bluewater.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2009/07/24/outdoor-retailer-day-4-bill.html

10:17 p.m. on July 28, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

The Hilleberg tent, like the rest of their lineup, looks like the real deal. I've thought of a similar idea for winter camping. In Minnesota you can just guy this to trees without the need for poles.

Bill, what do you think of the bivanorak? I don't need one, but the idea seems sound. Basically an oversized cagoule.

11:31 a.m. on July 29, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,219 reviewer rep
5,180 forum posts

alan,

It looked really good when a friend of mine was trying it on. Like everything that tries to be all things to all people (Swiss army knives, Leatherman, the sporks with knife-edge, etc), it has some deficiencies in some areas. In particular, it is a bit on the large size, which makes me worry a bit about it catching on branches when going through heavily wooded and bushy areas. I am tempted to get one myself, though, because it does so much so well. Bo told me it was designed originally for the Swedish military, though it is really lightweight for something made for military units.

2:53 p.m. on July 29, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

The interesting thing about the bivanorak is that no other firms really make anything similar. As a stash-in-the-rucksack-just-in-case item it's got a lot going for it. I really wish Hilleberg and Tarp Tent had local dealers as I would love to examine each and every product.

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply