Outdoor Retailer: Post-OR Thoughts

8:30 p.m. on July 27, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,157 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Outdoor Retailer: Post-OR Thoughts"

We’ll continue our post-OR coverage this week, as we still have some gear to point out to you. In the coming months, you’ll also see some of that gear tested by Trailspace. In the meantime, here are some personal post-OR thoughts:

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2009/07/27/outdoor-retailer-post-or-thoughts.html

11:25 p.m. on July 29, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Alicia, Copycatting is a peril at any trade show. Toy shows are notorious for reps from certain unnamed Asian countries taking pics of new items that will soon appear as knockoffs at your local discount store.

Copies of designer dresses at the Oscars appear within days at department stores.

I see the flashsticks in the photo. The OR vendors need to take some lessons from film industry trade shows. Flash drives, dvd's, swag of all kinds (hats, t-shirts, etc.) are still popular items. I have a bunch of small bags from various exhibitors that I use for shopping or carrying camping gear in the car.

Film commissions are now putting their reels and resource guides on flash drives and handing them out like candy. Of course, they all have websites as well.

One of my favorite freebies from the Location Expo was a mini-multi-tool from the Mexican Film Commission. Got a couple of mini flashlights from them as well.

1:24 p.m. on July 30, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,157 forum posts

Yes, you're right about the counterfeiting, Tom. Interestingly, this was the first time I've ever been approached (twice) and asked for my credentials. I didn't mind, and completely understand the need to do so. I'm sure I'd be as vigilant if it was my gear and company.

What was interesting was showing that I'm media made it all good. Anything else and I would have been in trouble. Obviously, I'm not taking the same pictures counterfeiters would.

Many to most OR exhibitors and PR reps are very good about getting out info in some form, either electronically or on a stick -- and some swag too, though I think swag was down considerably this year, though the GoPro guy gave away multiple cameras daily. Alas, I never won.

I actually aim not to carry lots of swag home (unlike some who'll take anything for free or go hunting for freebies). I just don't need another tote bag.

I like when companies offer you something useful that relates to their company. The Gerber booth had Shards (non-knife, multi-tool with screwdriver, bottle opener and small pry bar) in a bowl in front of their booth. For meeting with their PR rep I got a sample of their new Descent knife (not out yet).

Stanley handled it quite well by asking me if I wanted some water before our meeting and giving it to me in a new Stanley stainless steel bottle. Teko gave me some socks, and nuun some of their hydration electrolytes, since I'd never tried the drink. These are things I can actually use and continue to tell me something about the company; that's good for everyone.

But, then I'm surprised when someone manning a booth has no idea if there's a press kit or info, where to find it if there even is one, and so on. Those are rare instances, but they boggle my media relations mind. I always wonder if they realize the opportunities they might be missing.

2:20 a.m. on September 2, 2009 (EDT)
36 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

This is really good stuff, sorry I haven't been here until now! It's important to be vigilant as an exhibitor against copycat types, but they aren't just asian. Everyone working for Outdoor Retailer is trained to clamp down on random photography in the aisles... we check credentials regularly.

The reason it's okay to allow qualified media to take pics is because you're qualified media; the exhibitors trust that the show management realizes the damage done by having a poorly managed media experience at the show, and vets media accordingly. We have a brand reputation to protect, like every exhibitor on the show floor.

Thanks for the solid writing, gear reviews, and insightful comments.

1:15 p.m. on September 2, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,157 forum posts

Thanks for the comments, Kenji.I completely understand where OR and the brands are coming from.

I'm glad you found your way over to Trailspace!

1:28 p.m. on September 2, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,359 forum posts

Kenji -

Welcome to Trailspace. I gather you work for Outdoor Retailer. Could you say what your affiliation is, maybe add it to your profile? It is always useful to know this, especially when someone posting here has questions and they can be directed to someone with the background and experience.

November 23, 2014
Quick Reply