About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

How to Fuel Up on the Trail

9:40 p.m. on August 27, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "How to Fuel Up on the Trail"

Whether you are trail running, hiking, fastpacking, or backpacking, you need to fuel yourself properly before, during, and after your time out on the trails. Eating the right foods at the right times will keep you on your feet, gears cranking, and all four cylinders roaring.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/fuel-factors-nutrition-on-the-trail.html

11:22 a.m. on August 28, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

Thanks! Great article, I enjoyed it because I work out quite a bit and I can apply many of these tips to my workout nutrition.

12:08 p.m. on August 28, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,938 forum posts

Thanks for a great article on what to eat for trail energy. I have found that since turning 50 a few years ago, that it takes more foods to do the same amount of energy build-up than it took thru my younger days. And because I am not as active as I was between my 20's and 40's, a lot of what I eat ends up as fat in my stomach area. What can I do to help fatty foods go on thru my gut and stop adding wieght I can't seem to burn as well after 50?

1:53 p.m. on August 31, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

After 30 too!

3:07 p.m. on August 31, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

Mackenzie -- Great article!!

GP & mahosimayhem - Foods with a lower glycemic index help to keep one energized for longer and also help in curbing appetite spikes that come from foods with higher amounts of simple sugars. Hope that helps.

9:05 p.m. on September 16, 2009 (EDT)
213 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Thanks for this article––I haven't had the energy to read it yet (okay, it just popped into my "in box" ) but I am hoping it might have some answers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xSLpM8XPRQ&feature=channel

I just finished JMT#9 and although I always feel wasted once the trip is over––this time I am feeling especially drained––perhaps because, unlike past trips, I was not able to sit around for a week and rest, upon my return, but rather, went right back to work.

someone tossed out the idea that returning to sea-level might have something to do with my fatigue, but I'm going to assume that my trail-diet, which was far less, calorie-wise, than it should have been, is the culprit.

So what have I been doing? not really resting, but eating a lot of whatever I want and I think it's time I zero in on wether I should start eating more proteins versus carbs, or what . . . should I (at 51) just guzzle a bottle of geritol? maybe I'll go for the chocolate milk.

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply