The Lure of a Long Trail: Planning a Thru-Hike (Part 4 of 4)

1:09 p.m. on December 2, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "The Lure of a Long Trail: Planning a Thru-Hike (Part 4 of 4)"

In the last of four columns on planning a thru-hike, two trail angels offer advice based on the hundreds of thru-hikers they've befriended and assisted along the Pacific Crest Trail.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/planning-thru-hike-4.html

3:11 p.m. on December 2, 2009 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Thanks for the Lure of the Long Trail. It's very helpfull when planning a family hike with my husband & daughter ages 11 & 13.

3:27 p.m. on December 2, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

If you are planning a long distance hike you must check out this book. I have hiked with Michelle and she know her stuff.
The Nitty-Gritty Details of a Long-Distance Trek

You can get it on Amazon.com at http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=+The+Nitty-Gritty+Details+of+a+Long-Distance+Trek&x=0&y=0

happy hiking!

8:41 p.m. on December 2, 2009 (EST)
11 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Thanks so much for such an informative series of articles. They've helped to put a lifelong plan of thru-hiking the AT on my 5 year (or less) plan. Take care!

9:15 a.m. on May 19, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Nice series! Barbara missed one notable book recommendation though. The best book on the thru-hiking experience (not a how to, but a narrative) is AWOL on the Appalachian Trail, by David Miller. Most narratives, including Barbara's, keep the reader at arm's length. They can be funny, informative, and well-written, but in my opinion, don't come close to AWOL in leading you down the trail, and giving you a real sense of the experience. David is a great writer capturing the highs and lows of the trail, his inner experience of the same, the amazing scenery, and the characters who choose to walk for 4-6 months. The book is self-published, which I find strange since the reviews on Amazon are even more glowing than this one, and the quality of the writing equals the best of the trade publications. Check it out, you won't be disappointed!

4:56 p.m. on August 18, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Good reading, very useful information. I am still thinking about the hike, and still not sure if I will take on the trail. Even if I decide not to, and go for short trips the information is very good.....thank you.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply