Outdoor Retailer: Solar power in small packages

3:00 p.m. on January 29, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,256 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Outdoor Retailer: Solar power in small packages"

Several sources of solar power panels and solar powered devices were shown at the Outdoor Retailer winter trade show. Many of the newest solar chargers Alicia and I saw are intended for recharging small items like smartphones, iPods, digital cameras, flashlights, and rechargeable batteries. However, larger capacity models also are available from most companies, for those who need greater charging...

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2010/01/29/solar-power.html

5:09 p.m. on January 29, 2010 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

I currently own a Brunton Solaris 26 foldable charger that I have had a couple years. It will power my laptop, charge my camera and flashlight batteries and my cell phone all from direct sunlight.

I paid $350 for mine new a couple years ago, now it costs about $600. But it works great and unfolded is about 4 x 3 feet, folded its 8 inches x 11 inches. It weighs about 1 lb and has a carrying bag and the attachments for everything.

3:30 a.m. on February 4, 2010 (EST)
155 reviewer rep
99 forum posts

I currently have a Powerfilm Solar folding flexible AA/AAA charger. About two months after I bought it Powerfilm Solar started selling an AA/AAA & USB version of the same model. If I had konwn, I'd surely have waited and bought that one.

The one I have.

The one I wish I had.

http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/

Sweet charger! The AA/AAA charger I have ain't so bad either. It will charge 4 "name brand" AA batteries in less than one day of full sunlight. It's water resistant, squishable, squashable, has a bunch of grommets to make mounting to your pack or wherever easier, and folds down to about the size of a melted Kit-Kat bar. I like it!

Later!

10:44 a.m. on February 4, 2010 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

This is the Brunton Solaris 26 that I have. It powers my laptop with normal sun conditions in the same amount of time that plugging it into a wall socket will do. And charge my camera and flashlight batteries as well. With the adapter plug it will charge a car battery and run a electric camp lamp.

Price: $620.20

Features Overall dimensions: 21.5"x37.5" Overall dimensions folded: 11"x8.5"x1" Weight: 28 oz Panel type: CIGS Max output: 26 watts

12:27 p.m. on February 6, 2010 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
70 forum posts

has anyone used a wind up generated power source? and if so is there a good one out there someone could suggest?

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply