Many sunscreens get low marks from Environmental Working Group

3:53 p.m. on June 14, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
0 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Many sunscreens get low marks from Environmental Working Group"

The fourth annual Sunscreen Guide by Environmental Working Group gives low marks to the current crop of sunscreen products, recommending only 8 percent of beach and sport sunscreens (like ones from Badger) on the market.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2010/06/14/ewg-sunscreens.html

8:28 p.m. on June 14, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,314 forum posts

It is rather disturbing to find that the maximum rating for any of the recommended sunblocks is only 30 or so. Those of us who go to high altitude regularly generally find SPF 30 woefully inadequate. And I have found in equatorial regions (Kilimanjaro, for example) that certain drugs (like the antimalarial you take prophylactically) make you more sensitive to UV (it even says so on the information sheet that comes with the prescription). Maybe it's back to the old days when we used to use Clown White (basically pure zinc oxide). Yeah, you look like a clown, but it's better than burning, and in the case of many of us who spent many years getting "healthy tans" and are now paying for it with regular visits to the dermatologist, maybe it reduces the number of necessary visits, spritzes of liquid nitrogen, and slices cut off for biopsies (and sometimes to remove the malignancies).

Even worse is the comment that so many of the products include vitamin A, which might exacerbate the skin damage.

Guess I will be wearing my ski mask and broad brim hat more often.

9:39 p.m. on June 14, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,497 forum posts

Interesting about the Vitamin A, I didn't know that.

I was glad to see 'Badger SPF 30 Unscented' rate well. I have been using it for a few years and I like it.

Plus the little badger on the front of the tube is kinda cool too.

Seems like big tubes for badgers though, they only have to apply it to their nose don't they?

11:06 p.m. on June 14, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

Seems like big tubes for badgers though, they only have to apply it to their nose don't they?

lol that got a good laugh, I guess I have to agree that this would be a big tube for them.

Is it puncture proof so their claws dont cause problems?

11:34 p.m. on June 14, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,082 forum posts

I just bought two tubes of crap.

11:52 p.m. on June 14, 2010 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

lol Alan.

This was the information I have been looking for. Thank you for posting.

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply