NASA Develops New Emergency Response System

9:51 p.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "NASA Develops New Emergency Response System"

NASA's forthcoming DASS promises quicker relays of information from emergency locator beacons using GPS satellites, than the current COSPAS-SARSAT system.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2010/06/21/nasa-dass.html

8:20 a.m. on June 22, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Technology is a tool, with room for use as well as abuse.

I haven’t felt the need to have AN EPIRB-like device on almost all of my ventures, since I usually travel with others, and the road head is usually only a long jog out. I prefer any outside rescue attempt be informed before launching, to avoid taking unnecessary risk upon themselves. Many of the more remote venues we go on also have manned ranger outpost camps, or trail maintenance worker camps in the general area, both with outside radio contact which we could always avail ourselves to if an emergency occurred. On our really remote treks, such as climbing the less frequented Alaskan or South American mountains it is temping to have an EPIRB like device for when the entire team is in a fix and unable to self rescue, but I question the logic of summoning help when the entire party is in trouble, since such trouble often would jeopardize the rescuers as well. Hence we carry walkie talkies, mainly for team communication - and sometimes for scheduled check-ins with outside parties - and choose instead to self-rescue. Fortunately we have always been able to get out on our own power, the worst situations we’ve endured were broken bones on occasion, and an incident where most members of our party sustained some frost bite due to particularly savage weather, and bad timing. Knock on wood!
Ed

3:09 p.m. on June 23, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Thanks for the article Bill,

I enjoy learning how things work, I read this twice to put it all in perspective, a lot to learn!

Thanks again!

8:20 p.m. on June 23, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,050 forum posts

I enjoy learning how things work, I read this twice to put it all in perspective, a lot to learn!

Me too! I like to learn new sorts of things as well, especially subjects that many of us just assume much about or take for granted.

Editing Bill's articles always gives me the chance to learn new things, because if I don't truly understand the technical aspects of the content I can't edit and publish it. So, it forces me to answer lots of questions that come to mind, which is a good learning opportunity.

For this one I got to read info on NASA, NOAA, and the COSPAS-SARSAT sites and get the step-by-step info on how beacons really work (and how they don't work). I now am glad to know the differences between LEO, MEO, and GEO satellites (thought none of my newfound knowledge even comes close to Bill's scope).

11:28 p.m. on July 28, 2010 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Really good info. I've shared is with others. I'm on 2 SAR teams in Maine, an avid hiker and I teach ground nav. so I got a lot out of this excellent article.

8:57 a.m. on July 29, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,050 forum posts

Thanks, Grey Eagle. I'm glad you found it helpful.

By the way, where in Maine are you located?

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply