Outdoor Retailer: Packs from Sierra Designs, Granite Gear

7:13 a.m. on August 12, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Outdoor Retailer: Packs from Sierra Designs, Granite Gear"

A look at Sierra Designs' "Fulcrum" pack suspension, and Granite Gear's Nimbus Core, built to wrap around a bear canister.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2010/08/12/outdoor-retailer-packs-from-sierra-designs-granite-gear.html

10:19 p.m. on August 16, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I missed seeing that Granite Gear pack at the OR show, that is pretty cool. Its nice that it seems to work independently of what bear canister is being used.

12:45 p.m. on August 17, 2010 (EDT)
41 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I was not that impressed with the wrap around pack mainly because there was not much space left for the resy of your gear. The two vertical pockets did not look like they would hold much. I think a better design would have been to have the canister carry horizontaly on the bottom of the pack.

10:31 p.m. on August 17, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Who needs gear! <grin> Too bad about that design flaw. Guess thats what I missed by not checking out Granite Gear's booth.

10:49 p.m. on August 17, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

The GG booth was very busy ... while I was there some guys came by pitching GG to contribute to some kind of reality/adventure show kind of thing.

12:05 p.m. on August 18, 2010 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

This is the first I've seen of coverage of what Granite Gear had, other than some new dog packs... Surprised I haven't seen it mentioned on BPL, even in passing!

I hope the Nimbus Ozone itself continues to exist- the Nimbus Trace seems like a 16 oz step in the wrong direction for the kind of folks who would pick a Nimbus Ozone over something like the Nimbus Meridian. I'm not a gram counter myself, and enjoy my Nimbus Meridian quite a bit. My only complaint is the super-insulated back panel... I've been impressed with the Escape AC 60's ventilation- I hope that the Advection/Topoflex brings similar ventilation to the Nimbus line.

I'll have to stop by the Granite Gear outlet store soon, and see if they have any prototypes kicking around! :) I'd love

10:56 p.m. on August 27, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I agree that the Trace seems like a step in the wrong direction, and quite possibly into the light of the already famous Nimbus Meridian. I don't see how that will improve anything, but oh well...

The Ozone is supposed to stick around with the 2011 model hitting stores next February. As far as specs, I am not 100% sure. I was told that the Ozone was probably going to weigh a little more than the current Ozone as well as carry a slightly higher price tag. The specs are supposed to be released sometime soon on the GG website.

November 23, 2014
Quick Reply