Got Gear? Write a Review

12:04 p.m. on December 27, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,169 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Got Gear? Write a Review"

Did you get the gift of outdoor gear? Do you search the gear reviews before buying new equipment? Submit your own gear review and help your fellow backcountry enthusiasts select great gear.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2010/12/27/write-a-review.html

8:25 p.m. on January 6, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,407 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Hello Alicia. Happy New Year. I've noticed that many duplicate reviews are being submitted (by mistake of the reviewer I assume) and are skewing overall ratings of gear.

Case in point: The Outbound mercury guide 6 is a tent that I reviewed that received 4.5 stars. The 3 other were from a ill-informed "guest" writing a poorly composed, unsubstantiated review giving it one star and submitted it 3 times, destroying it's overall ratings. Here is the review:

1.gifMercury Guide 6

Reviewed by Themobilelibrarian (Guest)
January 5, 2011

This is a great tent - for the right person -well constructed - great to sleep in and to look at - - however it was sold to me with the female sales person knowing I'm a single parent with one child - I stand just under  5' 4" and my daughter  was about 4' 8" when we purchased it.  Even with two adult sized females now (child is now 5' 3.5") it is a struggle to get up.  So.... great tent - not so easy to set up. And if you have any disability in your arms - which I now do - its now time to sell it and find something that works better or give up camping completely.

Price paid: 300ish

I just thought that I'd let you know. Thanks and best wishes to your family!

9:27 p.m. on January 6, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,169 forum posts

Hey XterroBrando,

Thanks for pointing that out. There was a glitch and I hadn't seen those reviews yet. Thanks for letting us know there was an issue. I've got Dave working on it.

I usually read every review and delete all the duplicates. So all extras do get deleted. Reading all the reviews also helps us notice any issues that arise.

I appreciate hearing when something is amiss. We can still miss occasional issues and in this case I hadn't been alerted to the duplicate reviews yet.

Thanks!

10:33 p.m. on January 6, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,169 forum posts

Fixed.

The reviewers briefly weren't getting an acknowledgment screen after review submission, so kept hitting submit. All is better now.

3:16 p.m. on January 7, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,407 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Thank you so much. Now if I can get my IT dept to respond to issues here at work in the same expeditious manner, all will be well :)

3:37 p.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,561 forum posts

I just wrote a review and did get the acknowledgment screen. It all worked fine for me.

December 25, 2014
Quick Reply