"John Muir in the New World" on PBS April 18

9:42 a.m. on April 10, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,169 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article ""John Muir in the New World" on PBS April 18"

John Muir is getting the American Masters treatment on PBS. John Muir in the New World will air on Monday, April 18, at 9 p.m. (ET) on PBS (check local listings) in honor of Earth Day (4/22) and John Muir Day (4/21, Muir's birthday). The Scottish American preservationist, naturalist, author, explorer, activist, scientist, and farmer is revered as the father of the environmental movement and the f...

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2011/04/10/john-muir-pbs-documentary.html

7:48 p.m. on April 10, 2011 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

For me, this will be a must see

8:03 p.m. on April 10, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I'm with Mike on this one. DVR is already set. Thanks for the heads-up Alicia.

12:19 a.m. on April 11, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Thanks for the reminder! I "liked" it on facebook a couple of months ago and promptly forgot all about it. Can't miss this one.

8:47 a.m. on April 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Pretty good documetary. Beautiful scenery footage. My wife and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

1:54 p.m. on April 19, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,622 reviewer rep
5,399 forum posts

Overall, it was very good. I was a bit disappointed at some of the things left out, but there is limited time to cover such a full life of such an influential person.

There were some rather glaring anachronisms, though. In a couple places where "Muir" was climbing a slab (in Tuolumne, for one, and on Ritter for another), he was wearing rock climbing shoes - don't think they had them at the time. For another, in Alaska, he and his Alaskan Native friend were in a very nice kevlar canoe (I couldn't quite make out the brand, though the shape of the emblem was vaguely familiar). Again, a few years out of date.

As a reader of Muir's writings since I was a kid, and a long-time Sierra Club member (plus living just across the SFBay from his home in Martinez, currently a California State Park), I was very familiar with most of the history. But there were a number of interesting items quite new to me. One was how much pushing his Eastern publishers were on getting him to complete his writings. The view in these parts has mostly been that he was the one out there leading the cause.

December 29, 2014
Quick Reply