National Trails Day is Saturday, June 4

8:27 p.m. on June 2, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,011 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "National Trails Day is Saturday, June 4"

Find the trails near you on National Trails Day, June 4. This Saturday, June 4, is National Trails Day and outdoor events are happening all weekend around the country. Find out what trail events are scheduled in your area on the American Hiking Society's website. With more than 2,000 National Trails Day events registered in all 50 states — from hikes and nature walks to trail maintenance wo...

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2011/06/02/national-trails-day-is-saturday.html

9:53 a.m. on June 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I am planning a day-hike somewhere along the C & O Canal Nat'l Trail.

Wondering (?) if anyone here at Trailspace is a member of the American Hiking Society, and might care to comment on it.   I am not a member.  

~r2~

2:16 p.m. on June 3, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,042 forum posts

Hi Robert,

I'll be on the C&O tomorrow too!  As a former employee of AHS I can say that National Trails Day is one of the organizations most significant events.  It unifies all of us hikers for a day of enjoyment and celebration of trails.  If you're interested in joining them - visit the website www.americanhiking.org, and give them a call.  It's a small staff, always available to answer questions.  Happy hiking.

3:33 p.m. on June 3, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,011 forum posts

Trailspace is a member of the American Hiking Society, as well as a number of other outdoor-minded non-profits.

You can see the full list: http://www.trailspace.com/about/giving-back/

10:17 p.m. on June 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Thank you both for the nice endorsement.

I plan on joining. 

~r2~

12:13 p.m. on June 5, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,011 forum posts

Thanks for thinking about this issue and bringing it up. I'm curious about what outdoor groups other members support.

For Trailspace, we aim to support a variety of organizations — large, medium, and small — that benefit backcountry enthusiasts and the places they go.

Not to dissuade you from joining AHS, but I also often recommend people join their local trail, land, and/or outdoor organization.

I personally find it most engaging to be active and involved with a group that's working to maintain and protect the trails I regularly run and hike on. It's very tangible, especially when a group is working to protect a specific area.

That's not mean to say, don't join larger organizations that work to protect the outdoors and outdoor activities — they can do a lot of good for a lot of people and places — but just to remind people of the small organizations that may already be working in their own backyard.

Either way, whatever outdoor non-profits you join will likely be very appreciative of your interest and support. Thanks!

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply