Lightweight Backpacking: Sleeping Bag Makeover

7:00 a.m. on June 20, 2011 (EDT)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Lightweight Backpacking: Sleeping Bag Makeover"

Lightening your load? Learn how to choose a sleeping bag under three pounds. Evaluate different sleeping bag and quilt designs, insulation, temperature ratings, sizing, and more.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2011/06/20/lightweight-backpacking-sleeping-bag-makeover.html

8:12 a.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Useful information here; some of which I was unaware.

However; I am ever dubious of spending more money just to save ounces.

I will ALWAYS  maintain that time and money spent in physical conditioning and healthier lifestyle implementation provides MUCH MORE in "benefits", aside from being able to carry heavier weights while backpacking, without strain or stress, and being able to travel greater distances afoot with less fatigue.

Please ... tell me where I am 'wrong' ....

I eagerly await a valid response.

~r2~

8:59 a.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,086 forum posts

good article Philip. I do agree with you Robert about being in shape and your body can adjust better to heavy loads. But there is no reason to carry heavy loads. Even BIll S pointed that out to me on my gearlist.He said he carries less to Antartica.. Robert scan your local craigslist. My brother in SC came across a WM bag for $100 the guy only used it once. It's rated at 30 degree's.Not kidding.

5:37 p.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

denis daly said:

good article Philip. I do agree with you Robert about being in shape and your body can adjust better to heavy loads. But there is no reason to carry heavy loads. Even BIll S pointed that out to me on my gearlist.He said he carries less to Antartica.. Robert scan your local craigslist. My brother in SC came across a WM bag for $100 the guy only used it once. It's rated at 30 degree's.Not kidding.

Thanks for the 'tip', Denis ... but, I already have two "30s", and a "20".

~r2~

7:15 a.m. on June 28, 2011 (EDT)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

No doubt - being in shape will definitely help lighten your steps, but even this has it's limits as you get older.

There's also a point that I didn't make in the post which is worth considering. Lightweight bags, especially highly compressible ones like those from WM, take up way less space in your pack. This means that you need less pack capacity, and can downsize you pack and pack weight. Same with your shelter. Weight and volume are pretty closely correlated.

10:33 a.m. on June 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Welllll ....  Hmmm ....

A pound of  down-feathers (very compressible) weighs the same as a pound of lead (already compressed?).

I am not really sure of a "point" I am trying to make, here.

I tend to be more of a "minimalist" than obsessing over pack volume and pack weight.  I do rather well (in my opinion) with my methodology.

I mean, really, how long does one intend to be away from civilization, and all the attendant conveniences?

I know hikers that just "gotta have" their iPods / iPads and such.

Huh ???

They should just "hike" to the nearest StarBucks, or Wi-Fi 'hotspot'.

~r2~

November 20, 2014
Quick Reply