Lightweight Backpacking: Backpack Makeover

8:00 a.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Lightweight Backpacking: Backpack Makeover"

Consider a backpack that weighs between 1 and 3 pounds and can carry 20 to 30 pounds of gear. Learn how to size one, how to choose a pack made with durable fabrics, and how backpack suspensions work.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2011/06/27/lightweight-backpacking-backpack-makeover.html

3:06 p.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Good info Philip. Thanks for doing this series.  

4:00 p.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

I think it would be best to clarify the differences between full Dyneema fabric and Dyneem Gridstop used by many UL pack makers.  Full Dyneema is much, much stronger and much, much more expensive.  Dyneema Gridstop, as has been presented here, is provided as a grid woven within 210d ripstop nylon.  It is strong but in my experience, no more abrasion resistant than a comparable 210d Cordura.

4:56 p.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Yes that is correct CWF. The Dyneema Gridstop used in UL packs is only 9% Dyneema in a nylon rip stop blend instead of 100% Dyneema fabric, for a bulletproof vest.  There are a lot of other varieties too, but going into that much detail seemed like overkill for this article. The important takeaway is that the lightweight pack manufacturers have figured out that durability is important and they're building it into their products.

5:45 p.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

I have full Dyneema fabric for the shoulder straps on my Mchale.  Slippery as the dickens.

6:29 p.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Thanks Phillip, I learned a few things.

I will soon be adding a lightweight pack to the list of gear I want to purchase since I have been putting together a new lightweight kit.

Your article was a big help in doing my research.

11:27 p.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

trouthunter said:

Thanks Phillip, I learned a few things.

I will soon be adding a lightweight pack to the list of gear I want to purchase since I have been putting together a new lightweight kit.

Your article was a big help in doing my research.

I really enjoyed Phillips articles trout. These are the things I was learning and asking along the way about my AT Trip. I even asked on the offtopic section to pillowthread and read his post's to other backpackers about alternative shelters. I asked him about Ula packs and try one first and liked it. I ended up buying a Catalyse used. Alot of lighweight hikers start alittle heavy then shift packs. But Love my Kelty also..LOL

7:19 a.m. on June 28, 2011 (EDT)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Happy to help. Shoot me a personal message if you want any more advice out of the public glare. I have owned or tried a lot of different gear in my time and might be able to steer you to some alternatives you hadn't considered. I learn more about this topic every time I try to explain it to someone.

5:40 p.m. on June 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Great series, and well written. I'm a recent convert to the 'lite weight' methodology and series like this ( without unwarranted opinion/bias) have shaped many of my new gear choices. Yesterday I took delivery of a Granite Gear Blaze for what I hope is the basis for my thru hiker base gear. Keep it going!

6:29 a.m. on June 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Thanks for the precious info. I didn't know a couple of the brands you named and they really carry interesting stuff.

I have  a question though: you list the Hornet 46 among the foam pad backpacks. I've never had the chance to try one myself but Osprey states that the 46l model also has a twin plastic stay (while the smaller versions don't).

Can you confirm that?

7:55 a.m. on June 29, 2011 (EDT)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Raul - that is correct. I actually forgot about them when I wrote this post even though I've personally tested that pack, and rather extensively. Osprey gave me a sample of the Hornet 46 and I have a long review on my site.

The problem with the Hornet 46 stays is that they don't do anything (which is why I forgot about them) and might as well not be there. I think listing them together with the GoLite foam frame packs is still the right place for it.

Good catch!

9:22 a.m. on June 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Thanks for mentioning Granite Gear’s Blaze AC 60 (the first pack featured above) and CORDURA® brand fabric! This durable pack features CORDURA® Ultralite fabric and CORDURA® Lite fabric. It is recognized for integrating Granite Gear’s ultra-light technology to create a pack with the ultimate combination of comfort, load control and durability.

INVISTA

CORDURA(R) brand Account Manager

1:32 p.m. on July 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Hi Tina,

I'll be giving a full account (good or bad) of the Blaze when I get some miles under me.

9:43 p.m. on July 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

CORDURA >>>> Good stuff.

~r2~

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply