About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Outdoor Retailer: MSR Stoves Go Hybrid and Micro

11:00 a.m. on August 1, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,916 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Outdoor Retailer: MSR Stoves Go Hybrid and Micro"

Cascade Designs has loads of new gear for 2012: trekking poles, sleeping pads, tent accessories, and two new stoves, the small and light MSR MicroRocket and MSR's first hybrid-fuel stove, the WhisperLite Universal.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2011/08/01/msr-microrocket-whisperlite-universal.html

11:26 a.m. on August 1, 2011 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

Keep an eye on those hybrid-fuel stoves!  Very interesting.

Also... barefoot running is all the rage right now.  Are we going to start seeing any of that trend in hiking boots?  Some of the minimalist companies already claim that light hiking is possible in their models.   If there is anything at OR, I'd be interested in hearing about it!

12:14 p.m. on August 1, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I like the stoves, but then again how much I like them will be dependent upon what kind of hit I will take in the wallet for one.

Alicia, I would like to hear about the new MH tents coming out. There is one in particular which is the model that Ueli Steck utilizes. I am almost certain it is a single wall. I have a hunch it incorporates the Dry Q laminate into the design. I have only seen pics of it and I saw it in the Project Himilaya preview. I haven't found any info on it.

Thanks...

3:25 p.m. on August 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Amazing how much lighter and (in this case) smaller stoves are becoming.

At what point do we say, "ENOUGH!" ?   Much as Rick (above post) is inferring, acquisition is value-dependent.

Most of us have some sort of small, portable stove, already ... and are likely, pleased.

This somewhat reminds me of the folks that enscribe the Preamble to the Constitution, or the Lord's Prayer, on a grain of rice.

"Gulliver's Travels",  anyone?

~r2~

2:43 a.m. on August 2, 2011 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

+1 for more info on the MH line designed with Ueli. A date on store availabilty for the camelback bottle with the UV light would be nice.

11:43 a.m. on August 2, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,916 forum posts

Got it, guys:

Cleric, We'll see these stoves (and others!) in person. We're also keeping an eye on the barefoot/minimal trend and how it affects other outdoor footwear. Advance word is that hikers are lightening up and getting more colorful, though not everyone is trying to be the lightest out there.

MH Tent: Rick, I think you're referring to Mountain Hardwear's Direkt 2 tent:

Weighing in at only 2 lbs. 8 oz., the Direkt 2 is the lightest 2-person tent capable of withstanding extreme high-alpine conditions. Its DAC Featherlight™ NSL poles and our proprietary Evolution Tension Arch™ tent-stabilizing technology are now mainstays of our expedition tent collection.

Louis-Alexis, I will definitely report back any news on that elusive CamelBak UV bottle filter. I ask for an update at every OR, and am hoping they can tell me something definite this time around. We'll see.

Thanks!

11:55 a.m. on August 2, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Alicia said:

MH Tent: Rick, I think you're referring to Mountain Hardwear's Direkt 2 tent:

Weighing in at only 2 lbs. 8 oz., the Direkt 2 is the lightest 2-person tent capable of withstanding extreme high-alpine conditions. Its DAC Featherlight™ NSL poles and our proprietary Evolution Tension Arch™ tent-stabilizing technology are now mainstays of our expedition tent collection.

Hmmmm, it uses the same poles as my solo and is based on the EV2 but stronger... interesting.

Here is a vid on it...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2047786485328838547#

Thankyou Alicia.

Wait a sec, that tent was out in 09... Is there a new model or any new models that utilize Dry Q laminate?

I was under the impression the one that is utilized in Ueli's vid was a model that has yet to be released. Hmmmm....

8:05 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

I'm definitely interested in getting the details on any new stoves.  I think the changes with the Whisperlite Universal are pretty exciting, particularly if it makes a "hybrid" (gas and liquid fueled) stove more accessible.  The current crop of hybrid stoves (e.g. Primus Omnifuel, Brunton All Fuel) are pretty expensive.

Add'l photos much appreciated if possible.

HJ

11:54 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

Oh, and a photo and/or information on the new Windpro II would be most welcome as well.

HJ

11:33 a.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,916 forum posts

On the off-chance anyone missed it, there is a post with videos of the three new MSR stoves — WhisperLite Universal, WindPro II, and MicroRocket — here:

http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2011/08/07/3-new-msr-stoves.html

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply