Outdoor Retailer: Design Your Own Headlamp (or at least its looks)

3:00 p.m. on August 1, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
700 reviewer rep
3,110 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Outdoor Retailer: Design Your Own Headlamp (or at least its looks)"

Princeton Tec wants you to know its lights are made in America, and give you a hand (or rather mouse click) in the process. Design your own flashy or classy Fuel4 or Remix headlamp.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2011/08/01/princeton-tec-spectrum-headlamp.html

6:00 p.m. on August 1, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Given the emergence of CRE LEDs in head lamp products I consider marketing this type of lamp in this manner similar to personalized buggy whips.

Ed

2:18 a.m. on August 2, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I suppose this will be appealing to some folks. I am not one of them for 2 main reasons:

1) Its a headlamp(I can't see it when I am wearing it)

2) Its worn in low light levels(good chance noone else will see it either)

I suppose this would be kinda cool for the kiddies, I am more worried about durability, battery performance, lumens, etc.

Seems to be more of a novelty than anything....

10:51 a.m. on August 2, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

If its your thing, its good.  If its not, who cares?  Not mine.

11:31 a.m. on August 2, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
700 reviewer rep
3,110 forum posts

I agree it might be fun for kids. Or maybe as a giveaway for outdoorsy companies or groups with certain brand colors (maybe a Trailspace special?).

I find it interesting that despite the novelty factor, the price is the same or similar to the same headlamp in its standard color. I was prepared to dismiss it if it had a premium price based on looks, but there isn't one.

Despite the "cool" factor, Princeton Tec seems to want to highlight the fact that actual humans, in the United States, are making headlamps for you with their own hands.

3:52 p.m. on August 2, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Alicia said:

Or maybe as a giveaway for outdoorsy companies or groups with certain brand colors (maybe a Trailspace special?)

 Thats a cool thought Alicia. Out of curiousity(w/o letting the cat out of the bag) are there by any chance any upcoming contests or anything going on in the not so distant future?

 

8:46 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

Alicia said:

 I was prepared to dismiss it if it had a premium price based on looks, but there isn't one.

Despite the "cool" factor, Princeton Tec seems to want to highlight the fact that actual humans, in the United States, are making headlamps for you with their own hands.

I hadn't thought of that.  Nice angle.

8:28 a.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
700 reviewer rep
3,110 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Alicia said:

Or maybe as a giveaway for outdoorsy companies or groups with certain brand colors (maybe a Trailspace special?)

 Thats a cool thought Alicia. Out of curiousity(w/o letting the cat out of the bag) are there by any chance any upcoming contests or anything going on in the not so distant future?

 

No cats in bags right now. We'll think about contests, maybe for late fall or winter. I know there have been requests for another photo contest.

October 31, 2014
Quick Reply

Please sign in to reply

 
More Topics
This forum: Older: Exped and NEMO help users live outdoors comfortably Newer: Mad River Canoe launches Serenade 13, lightweight solo hybrid canoe
All forums: Older: Wanted--SINGLE yak trak size 10 womens or 8 mens Newer: Report: Fatal polar bear attack in Norway