CamelBak's All Clear UV Bottle Purifier Available for 2012

2:14 a.m. on August 5, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "CamelBak's All Clear UV Bottle Purifier Available for 2012"

Two years ago at OR, CamelBak announced its noteworthy All Clear, an in-bottle microbiological UV water purifier. After a lengthy wait and redesign, the All Clear finally will be launched in a new and improved form for 2012.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2011/08/05/camelbak-all-clear-uv-purifier.html

11:34 a.m. on August 5, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Not to be overly anal, but what is the expected weight?  Thanks,

3:43 a.m. on August 7, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Is there a backlight on the display for low light use? 80 cycles for charge sounds pretty good. If I were to treat 4 liters a day this would hold me for 20 days. Hmmmm. I kinda like this.

10:54 a.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

I'm asking for that info and will report back as soon as I have it. Thanks.

2:32 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

I've added the weights above:

Weight: 6.9 oz (UV cap only), 3.7 oz (bottle only) 10.6 oz (total unit)

CamelBak says:

The crucial components that make up the weight of All Clear are:

• Battery power / charge density: The All Clear features two rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries that deliver 80+ cycles per full charge. From a user perspective that's 3 bottles per day for 26 days.
  • Cap functionality. The other driver of added weight is that the fact that the All Clear is a full cap solution that enhances both ease of use and functionality as a stand-alone cap. Features like the threads and handle add weight.

On the backlight question:

Is there a backlight on the display for low light use? No. This was decided against because it drives significant increased battery/energy use and most users are already using a headlamp or other light source, so the energy efficiency cost wasn't worth the benefit.

2:41 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Alicia said:

On the backlight question:

Is there a backlight on the display for low light use? No. This was decided against because it drives significant increased battery/energy use and most users are already using a headlamp or other light source, so the energy efficiency cost wasn't worth the benefit.

I thought my question was somewhat silly after I fired it out. I have been sick(strep) for a few days so I my motor functions are pretty slow at best.

This makes sense. After a bit more thought the backlight would be more of a convenience as opposed to a necessity. I  can also understand that it would take more away from the battery and in turn that would cut away from the 80 cycles.

I would much rather have the ability to be able to use this unit for a longer period of time as opposed to a shorter time with a light. I really like the idea and design of this unit. 

I have a head lamp so viewing the LCD shouldn't be a problem at all. 

The only thing left for me is how well does it hold up during "extended use?" I am looking forward to future reviews on the unit before I drop the dough on one.

This may be a silly question but is the unit compatible with other wide mouth bottles? I know alot of companies have used DuPont Lexan for their bottles, any chance CB utilized this in their bottle here? So many questions. 

Anything can look great on paper or hanging in the local outfitter hands on tells the tale. :)

6:14 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Yes, does it have standard, wide mouth Nalgene threads?

10:52 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Where made ?

~r2~

2:33 a.m. on August 18, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

This is a good looking unit and if compatible with other lids it will surely be a winner

3:07 p.m. on August 30, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

I've got some answers for you from CamelBak:

While the thread pattern is the same (63 mm), yes it will fit, but it is not designed for a different cap ... hence the All Clear "all-in-one" system.

FYI, you can exchange the All Clear cap/purifier for a standard CamelBak Classic Cap. So, you're not stuck with just the purifier cap on the bottle once you're done treating. It's an interesting question to see how it would work out if exchanged between other 63 mm bottles...

I am fairly certain it is made in China.

5:35 p.m. on August 30, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,141 forum posts

CWF asks: What is the weight. The ad says:

• Weight: 6.9 oz (UV cap only), 3.7 oz (bottle only) 10.6 oz (total unit)
6:07 p.m. on August 30, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Alicia said:

While the thread pattern is the same (63 mm), yes it will fit, but it is not designed for a different cap ... hence the All Clear "all-in-one" system.

I was leaning in the direction that if I were to purchase this unit and was on the trail with a partner can I screw the cap/light onto another bottle(Nalgene, etc.) so we can share the unit in a sense? No point in carrying multiple units. I suppose one could filter in the Camelbak then pour the UV treated water into another bottle duh... Or one could contact Camelbak direct and purchase exrta individual bottles for said purpose. 

Sometimes I think too much.

7:19 p.m. on August 30, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Alicia said:

I was leaning in the direction that if I were to purchase this unit and was on the trail with a partner can I screw the cap/light onto another bottle(Nalgene, etc.) so we can share the unit in a sense? No point in carrying multiple units. I suppose one could filter in the Camelbak then pour the UV treated water into another bottle duh... Or one could contact Camelbak direct and purchase exrta individual bottles for said purpose. 

Sometimes I think too much.

I don't think you were thinking too much. It's a good idea overall, if it will work. It's always good to have options and know what will work together in advance.

I think it's a matter of trial and error, since CamelBak isn't specifically recommending it, but it's probably worth a shot.

10:00 p.m. on August 30, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Alicia said:

I don't think you were thinking too much. 

Thanks for the reassurance Alicia... Sometimes I get so consumed by gear, specs, weights, material, blah blah blah that I drive myself borderline bonkers.

I suppose it could be worse. At least my main goal is to still get out there and use this gear as much a humanly possible. 

1:51 a.m. on September 30, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Very timely review.

Was looking at a steri pen but may hold off now.

Thanks very much.

6:12 a.m. on January 30, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hello Alicia

Thanks for this valuable info.

I have been looking for a water purification system and this looks simple to use yet efficient.

I guess there is no option for internal replaceable batteries which would have been a nice backup option because if I can purify 80 cycles at 4 liters per day then as Rick- Pittsburgh calculated this would last me 20 days. but if I, have no access to a USB charge connection after 20 days I am screwed.

I charge my iPhone from my car with a USB compatible charger. Does USB compatible chargers mentioned above include the cigarette lighter in motor vehicle for the bottle and will it work with the charger I use for my iPhone.

How about suggesting a backup water purification method in case my batteries run within this device.

And last: Could you please notify us when this product will be available for shipping?

2:32 p.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Has anyone bought and used one yet ?

review ?

2:41 p.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Callahan said:

Has anyone bought and used one yet ?

review ?

Bill S(OGBO) tested it:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/camelbak/all-clear/#review24842

5:13 p.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

You can see all All Clear reviews (we've got two so far), and submit your own, here:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/camelbak/all-clear/

9:43 p.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
27 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

I had the opportunity to see and play with one at my last Camelbak Clinic at work. THe thing I really really like about it is that its pretty much fool proof. WIth stuff like the steri pen you have to guess it the treatment was good  but with this bottle you can only do a preset amount of water and the instructions have been engraved on the bottle. There is no excuse for screwing up the treatment.

-MG

9:55 p.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

nice n thx

12:07 a.m. on May 4, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Bought one on a pro deal. Going to try it out on the Backpacking Prep course I'm leading May 19-22nd.

The water will be beaver pond/slough water. If no one dies, I'll let you know.

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply