About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

SteriPEN Freedom: smaller, lighter, rechargeable UV purifier

10:58 a.m. on August 6, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
397 reviewer rep
962 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "SteriPEN Freedom: smaller, lighter, rechargeable UV purifier"

SteriPen introduced its smallest, lightest, and first rechargeable water purifier: the Freedom.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2011/08/06/steripen-freedom.html

11:31 a.m. on August 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Cool.

~r2~

12:41 p.m. on August 6, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hmmm, it treats a half liter at a time, it has a built in flashlight, and it is rechargeable.

Ok, I like the fact that it is small. The flashlight is pretty cool too.

Here is what I don't like. Its good for around 40 treatments which to me equals out to 20 liters of water. 

My last trip, counting my cooking water I burned thru 20 liters in a little over 3 days because I was sweating so much I needed to consume more than my usual amount of water in order to balance out my hydration levels. I would hate to be out on day four and the battery crap out with no way to recharge the unit. A situation like this can put one in a hairy spot.

I did not see or hear of being able to pop out a battery pack and fire in a set of batteries for extended trip which I believe would have made it more convenient(especially if one gets stranded/lost.).... hey it happens. 

I dunno, for me a Steri-pen just doesn't cut the mustard for my uses. 

For simple(weekend, etc.) solo use this may be a good unit.

One of the reasons I am so fond of my filter is all I have to do is clean and pump. No dead batteries.... and if you pre-filter by using something like a coffee filter over the inlet cleaning is very minimal.

12:51 p.m. on August 6, 2011 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Camelbacks uv bottle will hurt them in this years sales if they can keep the price reasonable.

2:06 p.m. on August 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

I'm with Rick when it comes to hiking.  I wouldn't mind having one for trips to places like Mexico where you could recharge daily.

8:06 p.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I'd certainly like to check this product out - but I also understand what Rick is saying regarding it's limited use...  However, at the same time, knowing the limitations you should be able to plan accordingly - like using it only for drinking water.  You can always employ a water pasteurization (150 degrees for a couple minutes) method for cooking water...  It's as safe as boiled water but faster and easier...  For emergencies have chemical tablets.

I prefer filtered water for A LOT of reasons - but the weight and size savings of this product makes it very hard to ignore.

~Rich

8:28 p.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Welcome aboard, Iddings.  Hope you enjoy the discourse and discovery.

~r2~

3:46 p.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
397 reviewer rep
962 forum posts

Rick, the product specifications for the Steri-Pen Freedom state that the internal battery is rechargeable, not removable.

4:02 p.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Seth said:

Rick, the product specifications for the Steri-Pen Freedom state that the internal battery is rechargeable, not removable.

Hmmmm, I think this would be a good option for the weekend warrior but for multi-day treks it may not be a smart choice. If it was designed to where one could pop out the rechargeable battery pack and maybe use disposables it could open it up to a wider market in regards to people who may purchase this product.

If I were to take this out on a trip I would be worrying how much juice I have left and how soon I would be resorting to Aquamira. 

Is there any type of low battery indicator on the unit?

The Camelbak All Clear is $20 cheaper and will handle twice the water in between charges.

9:19 a.m. on August 12, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

How do you know when it stops working for other than battery reasons?  Murphy is my middle name.  Had dysentery before, don't want to do that again.

1:24 p.m. on August 12, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,219 reviewer rep
5,180 forum posts

You can recharge the batteries with a solar panel. I have the older Adventurer SteriPen that comes with a box that has a small solar panel on the lid, though I normally have my large Brunton foldup panel (24 Watt) along on long trips (same one Gary has). It charges my camera batteries as fast as plugging them into my home wall socket. I also have one of the small GoalZero panels (7 watt) that will charge the SteriPen, though it takes a long time. I keep a spare battery set charged at all times. I used the SteriPen when I hiked Kilimanjaro (6 days) for most of my drinking water (the required cook boiled water in camp).

2:17 p.m. on August 12, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Rick, sounds like you will need to buy a solar charger too

4:44 p.m. on August 12, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I have one. I also have a Callpod Duo. just seems like a pain in the rear end having to deal with all of this on an extended trip when my filter will do the same thing.

I understand the whole thing Bill S is stating but I think they may have made a mistake when it comes to the Freedom because the battery pack in this model is not removable. 

Basically until you recharge it when its done, you're done.

Just seems like one more unnecessary thing to be worried about on the trail.

7:15 a.m. on August 13, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

...  a mistake when it comes to the Freedom because the battery pack in this model is not removable. 

Basically until you recharge it when its done, you're done.

Just seems like one more unnecessary thing to be worried about on the trail.

x2

~r2~

9:36 a.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

X3

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply