About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Nemo's first sleeping bags new shape for side-sleepers

4:42 p.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Nemo's first sleeping bags new shape for side-sleepers"

Side sleeping is the most common sleep position, preferred by as many as two-thirds of people. But mummy bags are designed for back sleeping. Nemo's new Spoon Shaped bags are designed with side-sleepers in mind.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2011/08/09/nemo-spoon-shaped-bags.html

1:46 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts
Re: Nemo's first sleeping bags come in whole new shape

I confess.  I'm a side sleeper.  That will be worth looking into.

2:08 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Hmm ....

At least they are thinking.

I am a side-sleeper.   I HATE mummy bags; have about five ... getting rid of a few, soon.

I LOVE Primaloft.

I would like to see a Primaloft bag (instead of down) similar to the Extreme Conditions Technology bag ... WITH the center-zip.  NON mummy.

Apparently, the  'Bag of My Dreams' does not exist, nor is it on the horizon.

~r2~

5:49 p.m. on August 16, 2011 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Now we're talkin!  Side sleepers unite!

7:37 p.m. on August 16, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

This sounds like a damn good idea.

8:09 p.m. on August 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

I may have mentioned this before, but I still have my OLD Sierra Designs "Sandman - Flex" bags (bought both a LZ and a RZ, but that's another story).   They're pretty good for side-sleeping, too, but not because of the shape so much as the actual design.   The center/torso portion of the bag stretches, and the hood is designed such that if you're a belly-sleeper you can fit both bent arms in the hood, under your pillow.  A bit heavy for backpacking, but comfortable as hell, and really, if you're not sleeping well at night, then all the lightweight gear in the world won't make your trip enjoyable IMO.

11:20 p.m. on August 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Got one coming in a week to test on a few fall trips to Lake Superior, BWCA, etc.  I'll let you know.  Also a committed side-sleeper/spooner.  :-)

5:43 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Not a bad idea.  Still prefer my Selk'bag.  They have a Primaloft version coming out in December that is supposed to be very, very nice.

10:17 p.m. on August 23, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

The Strato Loft is the only quality rectangular sleeping bag that I can find on the market.  I now I'll have to wait a few years, but I will search the world for a used one sinceI flop around all night, kinda like a slow motion fish out of water.  Not a pretty sight I would guess

11:50 p.m. on August 23, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

My Wiggy's insulated ("Lamilite")  semi-rectangular  / somewhat tapered overbag, with select liners (depending on temps) has worked pretty darn well for me, over the years.   Think it's mil-spec.  The material is definitely "bomber", without any exaggeration.   Massive YKK zipper.  Also, has inner-zipper ... apparently for a companion zip-in liner, but I neglected to buy one at time of purchase.   I've used it down to about zero degrees (with a liner ... an old Moonstone job).

My 'go-to' bag.   Have sold a couple high-end (MH, TNF) down mummy bags that simply were not providing me a good night's rest.  

The liners that are available these days are not really roomy enough ... but, not bad.   They are sort-of a cross between a mummy and a semi-rect-.   I have about a half-dozen liners, of various temp-ratings and materials, including Cool-Max and impregnated with 'insect*shield'.    Can't find any that have a zipper or snaps.  I did run across a TNF liner-Summer rect-  (45-50-degree ?) that had a zipper ... but, it was about $100.

See if you can find one (Wiggys), Brian.  You seem to find great deals on Craig'sList.   You might be surprised.

Got mine at Cabela's about 10 years ago.   They no longer offer the exact same one ... but, a few similar.   They have an XL-size that is HUGE.

Must be something good.   I've had several friends borrow it, and I had a tough job getting it back.   They all wanted to buy it.

~r2~

12:15 a.m. on August 24, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,040 reviewer rep
1,006 forum posts

I'm a stomach(!!) sleeper most of the time, though I also sleep on my back and side. I think these Nemo bags truly do have cool ideas and innovations, and I applaud their contribution to the evolution of sleeping bags, but they are overly complicated, and thus, heavy for their temp. ratings. They would be great options, I think, if I was interested in carrying so much weight. For my needs, I've found an impressive solution in a Jacks-R-Better quilt. I have the collaboration they did with Titanium Goat. For comparison: it's a 900 fill, 21 ounce flat quilt that measures 82"x 52" in the long version. It's good to around 25F, and I haven't had one down feather leak through the Intrepid fabric in over 10 nights of use. Omni-Tape and a drawstring close up the foot-box when needed, while lacing tabs provide ways to rig a light cord system under the torso, providing, with supplemental clothing as necessary, options which allow comfortable sleeping from 70F down to 15F.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply