Staying found with map, compass, and GPSR

12:26 p.m. on May 26, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts

June 15-17, 2012 at the Sierra Club's Clair Tappaan Lodge on Donner Pass.

Details of the course are given here under the heading Land Navigation Workshop. Contact the Lodge here.Their phone is 1-800-679-6775.

I have been giving this workshop in the beautiful High Sierra for a number of years. The weather this year promises to be beautiful, though there was snowfall yesterday.

We gather for a short time Friday evening (June 15) to get acquainted and review what you need for our hikes (this is a hands-on, hike the woods and hills course, not a sit-around and get lectured-at course!). Saturday starts with how to wander the woods and hills with nothing other than your eyes, ears, and brain. Then we introduce maps, followed by use of the compass. Use of altimeters is added. Sunday concentrates on use of handheld GPS receivers, with hikes to Lytton Lake, the old Warming Hut, and some huge old-growth red firs. The lodge manager tells me that a major GPSR manufacturer is supplying loaner units, plus I have a small set to loan. Bring your compass, altimeter, and (if you have one) your own GPSR.

Clair Tappaan charges a fee which covers 2 nights lodging and all meals (Friday dinner through Sunday lunch), with a discount for Sierra Club members. You do need to bring your own sleeping bag, boots for hiking, water bottle, layers for the cool mornings and evenings.

The Lodge is located on old US40, taking the exit from I80 at Soda Springs.

6:56 p.m. on May 29, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Wish I had something like this out here. As I'm seen as the king of backpacking out here, and I have a great deal of trouble mapping out with a compass.

9:15 p.m. on May 30, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts

Mike,

It's only a long day's drive down from Reedsport to the beautiful Sierra and a chance to meet the infamous, er, I mean, famous OGBO. Opportunity of a lifetime!

9:27 p.m. on June 7, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I would love to do that but this year isn't looking very good. Keep me me posted. :)

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply