Hikers Needed for Wildlife Research

6:00 p.m. on February 26, 2013 (EST)
NONPROFIT REP
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Adventurers and Scientists for Conservation (ASC) is offering PCT hikers the opportunity to be part of an important citizen-science effort.  We need hikers to record observations of pika, the smallest member of the rabbit family, along the entire length of the trail.  It’s easy and won’t distract from your time in the wilderness, in fact it may enhance your experience.  For more info please visit www. adventureandscience. com/pika

8:20 p.m. on March 1, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Cute but are they dangerous? Back east we have a similar looking creature but they are very dangerous man eaters. Locals call these rock weasels but i doubt they are any part of the weasel family as they only live above tree line.

5:47 p.m. on March 2, 2013 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

I wonder if they are anything like marmuts. they are in the sierra and love to munch on horse terds.

9:16 p.m. on March 2, 2013 (EST)
NONPROFIT REP
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

They are a little like marmots and they live in those rocky outcrops like marmots, but they are much smaller and have a lighter coloring.  They make a very high pitched sound and are an indicator species of climate change.  Check out our web page for more info.  www. adventureandscience .org/pika.  There are some photos and a description of the project.  

12:29 p.m. on March 3, 2013 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,078 forum posts

Pikas are the cutest animals in the West and great company on solo jaunts above treeline.  I have watched them for hours many different times.

5:13 p.m. on March 3, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

IDK, sound a lot like the man eaters we have back east to me. All cute and fuzzy looking until it's too late! 

12:10 p.m. on March 4, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
875 forum posts

Adventure, do you just want info on pika along the PCT?

In college I initially did field work with a professor who was working with Olympic Marmots. Later, I became interested in pika and did a paper on them. Great little creatures.

Lodgepole, there are rumours that in the pleistocene there were pikas that could fight off a short faced bear. There may be a few still around.

Your website doesn't seem to come up. Could you post again?

8:59 p.m. on March 4, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

Be more interesting to get the Pika to count the hikers?

11:31 a.m. on March 6, 2013 (EST)
NONPROFIT REP
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Erich,

We are collecting data on pika world wide!  The PCT is a unique opportunity because there are so many people passing through the same areas.  We are using an app called iNaturalist where people can log the GPS coordinates and upload photos.  These points all show up on a map, and we can see where pika are as well as where they aren't.  This map and data can be used by pika researchers all over the world.  

We would love to have you collect data on pika, especially with your background.  Or maybe you want to work on another citizen science project?  The best way to get involved is to go to our website and fill out a find an advisor form.  This forum won't let me post a link so just search Adventurers and Scientists for Conservation and you will find our website.

10:19 a.m. on March 7, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
875 forum posts

Adventure, I'll go to the site. I know that pika are sensitive to temperature variations and climate change has forced population to move higher. Some populations don't have the option, so will likely die out, if they cannot move. I'll be happy to help.

11:40 a.m. on March 8, 2013 (EST)
NONPROFIT REP
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Erich,

Thanks so much!  We look forward to receiving your form and matching you with the project!

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply