About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Gorrilla or Buzzing web sites.

8:46 p.m. on October 27, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

If you dont know these terms, you should. There are many sales teams that use the internet forums to sell products. Sometimes they team up and just point at their products. Some give products glowing reviews. Others just join and post as an expert in the field. These are mostly just sales people that can be easly spoted. But some are clever and slowly gain your trust. They dont come out and push the product, but piont you toward them slowly.

What does that meen to trailspace? Everything! High end gear is big buisiness. And marketing is everything. I dont blame these ppl at all. I would do the same thing.

What can you do? Research everything you can. If a review is just to good, though it out. Do check out who post and where. See if they focus more on the newer products. If they do, they might just be in sales for somebody.

Realy, just how many people do you know that has the all newest  stuff on the market?

9:40 p.m. on October 27, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey Mike, I am aware of this "tactic" that some use to generate revenue or promote a product.

That is one of the reasons that members are asked to do the following:

13) Disclose industry relationships.
If you have any personal, professional, or commercial affiliation or relationship with an outdoor company, its products, or its competitors, you must fully disclose that relationship in your member profile and in any relevant posts or reviews.

9:47 p.m. on October 27, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
570 forum posts

I've found this site to be great at weeding out, and in some cases, deactivating members with a clear agenda. Kudo's goes to the moderators on that as well as the community as a whole. People here are protective of this site and keeping everything civil and their motives transparent. I do agree with you though Mike and this does happen and you need to learn, through observation and attention who is here with other motives.

3:57 a.m. on October 28, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

Ok you outted me, I confess: all my advocating of camp side whisky and spirits is a gise to promote the Betty Ford Substance Abuse Clinic.  They're having a happy hour special, two admissions for the price of one.  Pretty sneaky eh?

Ed

9:00 a.m. on October 28, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
924 forum posts

This is something we're aware of. I won't go into details here, but we do keep any eye out for this sort of suspicious activity. We have and will continue to investigate an take appropriate action, including deleting illegitimate reviews and banning offending user accounts.

That said, there are almost certainly some that we miss. If you see any reviews that look fishy, please feel free to report them to Seth, me, or one of the moderators.

[since it's Trailspace-related, I've moved this thread to the Feedback forum]

1:32 p.m. on October 28, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
397 reviewer rep
962 forum posts

Ed - given my membership in the American Homebrewers Association it looks like you and I are going to have some disagreements!

Seriously though, it seems to me as if a certain level of detail is important in maintaining the reliability of reviews.  "Review mills" seem to create reviews that are seldom more detailed than "three thumbs up!"  The more detailed the review, it would seem, the more likely to be reliable?  Is this a consideration of the Trailspace community when reading reviews? 

2:23 p.m. on October 28, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

I don't even pay attention to reviews that aren't articulated and reasoned, and certainly don't factor them into my evaluation of what to buy. 

2:43 p.m. on October 28, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Seth said:

Is this a consideration of the Trailspace community when reading reviews? 

It definitely is as far as I am concerned. When I read a review on a product I want to get as much info as I possibly can. 

Granted I am lucky that there is a plethora of outdoor stores here in the area where I reside. This may not be the case for everyone. 

For instance when I do a review of a product that I own I try to give the viewer all of the info I would want. I also like to take tons of photos because it helps tremendously when it comes to explaining certain aspects of a product.

Alot of people do not have the liberty of getting a product in their hands prior to purchase. This can be somewhat of a crap-shoot when ordering a product that one has never seen first hand in person.

I look at it like this, the more info one can gain on a product the better one maximizes their dollar spent. 

I do read the short reviews(not getting into specifics) and sometimes there is something useful to be taken from them but alot of the time I just find myself wondering. 

W/o getting too far off subject I think this is something to be read by many if not all prior to firing out a review:

http://www.trailspace.com/about/review-tips.html

I just wanted to respond to Seth's inquiry and hope I did not steer this too far off the original topic although this is a subject that is somewhat applicable to the op. 

5:15 p.m. on October 28, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
924 forum posts

One thing that we can all do to help the good reviews come to the top, and the low-quality ones fade away is to use the "helpful? yes/no" buttons. the more people who give that sort of feedback, the more the really good stuff will rise to the top.

5:22 p.m. on October 28, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Dave said:

One thing that we can all do to help the good reviews come to the top, and the low-quality ones fade away is to use the "helpful? yes/no" buttons. the more people who give that sort of feedback, the more the really good stuff will rise to the top.

+1

5:30 p.m. on October 29, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
570 forum posts

Dave said:

I always do this, never knew if it made a difference or not.

1:12 p.m. on October 31, 2011 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

I have no relationship with any vendor nor do I work for any. I am, however, pursuing a sponsorship from a particular company for a trek...do I need to disclose this ONLY if I am awarded one? I have no qualms about it, it is Eddie Bauer. I have reviewed one Eddie Bauer product and the quality of the product is what actually lead to my pursuit of the sponsorship...If I am in need of some further disclosure, just tell me when where how sort of stuff. I have not submited my request for sponsorship and my review preceded it completely so there is nothing in my review that discloses that...should I ammend it? Whoever can send me a private message if need be.

5:17 p.m. on October 31, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Giftogab, I hope that you get that sponsorship. Heck I would be so happy I would talk about it all the time. But thats me. :) IMHO a sponsorship for a trek is much differant than being in sales or being a rep. Be proud of it!

4:23 p.m. on November 1, 2011 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

Thanks, Mike.....will do once I get the video app sent in! But also did not want to be in any violation here....

7:55 p.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
397 reviewer rep
962 forum posts

Hi Giftogab,

First - as you point out, your review preceded your consideration of a sponsorship.  You don't have to amend it.

Second - our Community Guidelines State:

13. Disclose industry relationships.
If you have any personal, professional, or commercial affiliation or relationship with an outdoor company, its products, or its competitors, you must fully disclose that relationship in your member profile and in any relevant posts or reviews.

Whether this applies to you if you are applying for, rather than currently in, a sponsorship situation isn't explicitly addressed in this guideline.  However, our community always appreciates more disclosure than less.  I don't see how it could hurt to disclose your aspirations.

Good luck on your trek!  I'm looking forward to reading posts about how you're preparing!

11:24 p.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

I agree! Will do!

3:07 p.m. on November 8, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

Gift good luck with that sponsorship - if you do have luck, please let me know how it goes.

It is my understanding that a sponsorship for a climber or hiker is extremely difficult to get...they need to benefit for it someway typically to provide one.

12:03 a.m. on November 9, 2011 (EST)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

Yes. This is one they are soliciting openly and I am applying and have my "pitch" for them.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply