Images in Reviews

5:26 p.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

I was wondering why so often there are no images of the gear that is being(has been) reviewed in the "Gear Reviews". Do you only use the promo shots provided by the manufactures? What about older gear in which there aren't any more promo shots due to the fact that it's not being made any more? This would greatly help us in discerning many older pieces of equipment where ID'ing can be challenging or someone give's or shows use a piece of equipment that they think is one thing but in fact has been misidentified and is another.

6:59 p.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
614 forum posts

I love the more in depth reviews with additional photos. It lets you see the dimensions, angles, size, etc that you couldn't elsewhere. All of the gear reviewed by the review corps team is awesome. I like to look at those even if I'm not in need of a new piece of gear. Ricky P has also done some great comprehensive reviews. I also hate the "I just recieved these boots..." or "I've had this tent for a week now and...". Its hard to comment on durability and quality over such a short period of time.

*and hey ape, the more pics mogh is in the better!

7:27 p.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey Jake, thanks for the mention. I personally think pictures make a review. There are many aspects of a gear review that are utterly impossible to explain w/o them. For instance when I did my Copper Spur review I was explaining an H-clip. 

Now would one know what I meant if I didn't show a photo of it? No... I wouldn't. 

Another thing is I do not/will not pull the trigger on a review unless I have hammered on a product for a bit of time. I want to make sure that if any failures are going to occur I have given them a fair chance to do so so I can add this bit of info into the review. 

I look at it like this. I want my reviews to help those reading them as much as possible. Alot of people do not have the shops around them to get the products into their hands to see what they are about.

I try my best to give them the next best thing.

Honestly I give anyone kudos for just putting forth the effort to fire one out.

8:01 p.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

..............and I'm really wondering now why there are only pictures from the corporations and companies who are trying to sell me(us) something rather than real ife pictures of the item. Ever see the Double Whopper or the Big Mac on a commercial. Ever see one of those things coming thru the drive thru widow looking like they do on the commercial. I haven't,  just the opposite as a matter of fact. I think it would be nice to have the manufactures picture(why is it they usually have one picture for a $500+ item) and enough room to post real pict's of the item that is being reviewed be it good or bad in real life situations. IMHO

9:30 a.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I to will put up pictures with reviews. Those stock photos dont tell much of the story. Like they say 1 picture is worth 100 words. I would go on to say 10 pictures can tell the whole story. Thats what I did with that Yellowstone tent I PIFed. I think it took me 24 minutes to get a response.

10:36 a.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
946 forum posts

Apeman, your timing is impeccable.  We're actively working on some significant enhancements to the product image system, and the first of those changes should be rolling out within the next couple weeks.

Currently, on most product pages, we're only showing a single photo, usually an image provided by one of our retail partners (REI, Backcountry, et al). The changes we're working on will increase the number, quality, and diversity of photos shown for each product, pulling from both retailers and user-uploaded images.

Hopefully this will allow us to recover some previously-used imagery for discontinued products, and also open up the ability for community members to share their own photos of those products.

I'll follow up with more info as we roll out each stage of these changes.

11:06 a.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Very cool! And It will be a big help seeing the gear in use. Good job

4:49 p.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
614 forum posts

This is going to be an excellent addition to this website.

10:58 p.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Yea know............I had a feeling,  Thanks Dave I think it will make reviewing equiptment much more informative and enjoyable.  I know that befoer I pull the trigger on certain items I really want to take a look at them.  As I'm loath to go to places like REI  this will be a tremendous advantage as well as to those who jsuet don't live anywhere near a stor they can get to on a regular basis.  This will also make a big difference when buying vintage gear in regards to seeing exactly what it is supposse to look like.   In many cases it will help one figure out little oddites such as slight changes in the same model both in design and color, etc.  Thanks again Dave for the fantastic work in all the many things you do for the Trailspace community.

11:00 p.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Dave is the man... Hey Dave... You da man... :p

10:14 a.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
946 forum posts

Thanks, guys. One point I should have made earlier: currently you can include photos in the reviews that you write. Those will be displayed on the product page, within your review, but not at the top of the product page. But eventually we will also pull those existing review pics up into the product summary. So definitely include photos in your reviews!

11:48 a.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,601 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

I would like to add my two cents......  I post the video reviews of products that I review on my youtube channel in the gear review section.  I haven't seen any other video reviews in the gear review section.  Maybe I'm missing them.  Maybe I don't look up the products that have video reviews.  Maybe I'm the only one doing video product reviews here (I doubt it).

I would love to see more video reviews done.  I get very positive feedback from the video reviews I post here, both in the gear review section and the forum. 

Dave, if you are in the process of re-working the site, perhaps there is a way for users to access the video reviews without looking up the product.  They may see a link to video gear reviews and click on it.  They may see a product they might not have looked up through the gear review section, and like it because they saw a video of it.

I love how technology has changed the way we do business.  I think video is the way of the internet future, and that we should get on board.  

I am part of the review corps.  Though I have not yet been asked to review a product, I will include both pictures and video to show the product in all its diversity.

I'm adding a video to this post of one of my favorite pieces of gear just to show how nice it is to be able to "one click" your way to movie magic..... 

11:58 a.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Arson, I find your reviews great. And I like that you make video reviews. I was looking at them on youtube before you came over here. U the man for video reviews!

3:21 p.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
946 forum posts

Arson: we love your video reviews! I wish that more people did them too. I see one come through from someone else every now and then, but they're pretty rare. Doing more to integrate, encourage, and highlight great videos like yours is very much on our radar and to-do list!

4:16 p.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I actually bought a hd cam for this sole purpose... I'm slipping. Maybe I could dress up as a dinosaur and fire one out? Hmmmm.... I have all kinds of wonderful thoughts; my problem is I need to put them into action.

Ugghhhh... I am becoming such a procrastinator. I wish I knew more about editing and how to put all of the fun stuff Arson implements into his reviews. Guess I have to do some research huh? They add personal flavor to the review. Something that I feel is a very strong part of any review.

Arson, simply put you're reviews rock and I think in a sense you have raised the bar. Good job.

1:50 a.m. on November 18, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,305 forum posts

@Arson, did you actually include a link to a video as you mentioned in your post above? I am wondering if I don't see it because I am reading from the iPhone, or if it just isn't there.

4:27 p.m. on November 18, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,601 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

I did put a video link in my post.  Sometimes I can't view videos on my iphone either.  Something about the way it's embedded I think.  

9:35 p.m. on November 18, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,305 forum posts

OK, that's good to know, thanks!

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply