Heads Up about spying

2:28 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

The management reads your private messages at this site. Same as reading your email at the office. Thought you'd want to know.

2:32 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
53 reviewer rep
135 forum posts

How do you know that? do you have proof?

2:38 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Yes, a email I got from Seth, your community evangelist (whatever that is).

2:41 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

jad said:

The management reads your private messages at this site. Same as reading your email at the office. Thought you'd want to know.

That is a interesting assertion.  It would bother me a bit if they did.  On the other hand this is a private site so they mostly likely legally have the right to do that.  As with anything else I will go to the source and ask the moderators if this is true. I am also wondering if you have any reason to believe that what you say is true.

2:43 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

The only time a message is able to be read by admin, etc is if it is copy and pasted by a member and then sent to someone else such as a mod or what not from what I am aware of.

I personally have absolutely no way what so ever to look into others personal messages unless the message is forwarded to me by another member by copying and pasting the message as stated above.

Typically this happens when a message may be taken as a rule/guideline violation or a potential matter of concern on the receiver's end.

3:06 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Hey Jad I understand that your request to become a moderator got silly. But at first your request was answered in a reasonable and respectable way. Then like allot of post it became silly. This wasn't a reflection on your request. just how some of our group gets at times. In fact my last post there I was considering how these responses might make you feel. I assure you that we were not picking on you in any way. It was just stupid fun.

I hope you aren't going because of this. 

3:29 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
949 forum posts

Trailspace administrators (currently myself, Alicia, and Seth) have the ability to access any content that is posted on Trailspace, including private messages. Forum moderators do not have this capability.

The only time we view other members' private messages is if a member has specifically approached us with concerns about a message they have received, such as spam or alleged offensive or abusive messages.

We view the message(s) in question in order to verify the authenticity of the complaint and, if circumstances warrant, to determine whether similar messages have been sent to other members.

Unless we receive a complaint, your private messages are completely private between you and the recipient(s).

3:53 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Yeah I feel better knowing big Brother is watching me.

4:47 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

OK...I had fun on the MOD thread and it was all meant to be in good fun. But now I am starting to wonder what the motivation for these two threads really is. Maybe a Ban Hammer is needed if all jad wants to do is make clearly unreasonable mod request or to begin tearing down the site by implying this ability Seth Dave and Alicia have to see our underwearis being abused. Community Evangelist is, from what my social media analyst friend tells me, not an uncommon term for the job Seth has here...even on other sites. This is a good, fun, informative site and if jad wants to be a part great....but jad, if you are just here to stir the pot......

5:35 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

... or what, giftogab? What are you gonna do about it, serve me a summons?

6:04 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

So jad, Where are you going with all of this? This site is here for people to share their experiences, fun, joy and happiness of the outdoors. All you seem to be doing at this point is antagonizing people and then getting mad if they respond. What’s your point? Even after Dave gave you a perfectly reasonable response as to what going on you still retort with a silly juvenile response. Is this all really necessary, or do you want to continue talking of the outdoors and the gear we use in our pursuits?

6:10 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
60 reviewer rep
115 forum posts

Or what?! Or you won't enjoy the sight, that's what! It's like having a lollipop and just chewing on the stick and throwing the fat end out. It's like dumping all the Ben n jerrys into the trash to use the container to drink sour milk. Your peeing in your own nalgene bottle and wondering why your water tastes bad.

6:28 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

lol .... "book him Dano"

6:46 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,407 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

jad said:

Yeah I feel better knowing big Brother is watching me.

so what if he is? not a problem if you don't misbehave... :) we all get out of line sometimes.

So far "big brother" has been a fair, reasonable, and open-minded to family improvement. If you don't want to get into it with Big Brother, then keep your hand out of the cookie jar (sorry for the reference - I have a terrible sweet tooth) until it's time for us all to have dessert.

The fact that you call Seth "Your community evangelist" instead of "Our.." indicates that you prefer to be, or unfortunately if so, feel like, an outsider - can't tell which. Hopefully you can continue to share your considered opinions on things outdoors (as you have in gear reviews and some gear suggestion posts - Go Tipi's, merino, and eVent!), and then begin to feel more welcomed as a community member - or prefer to be a member.

6:52 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Thanks man, I'll post once in awhile, but I prefer my own bottle and my own company.

7:01 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,407 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

understood. wishin' you the best and I'll look for ya when you're here.

7:13 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,089 forum posts

Jad I think you should reconsider.You obviously would like to contribute to TS. You seem to enjoy the topics.So reconsider your position before making a hasty decision. AS the saying on the trail. Wait for a good day before you decide to stop or quite.

7:24 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

jad said:

... or what, giftogab? What are you gonna do about it, serve me a summons?

I rest my case.

8:05 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
303 forum posts

Dave said:

Trailspace administrators (currently myself, Alicia, and Seth) have the ability to access any content that is posted on Trailspace, including private messages. Forum moderators do not have this capability.

The only time we view other members' private messages is if a member has specifically approached us with concerns about a message they have received, such as spam or alleged offensive or abusive messages.

We view the message(s) in question in order to verify the authenticity of the complaint and, if circumstances warrant, to determine whether similar messages have been sent to other members.

Unless we receive a complaint, your private messages are completely private between you and the recipient(s).

Solid.  Thank you for the work you three put into keep this site running cleanly and respectfully.  

9:30 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

jad said:

... or what, giftogab? What are you gonna do about it...

Oh dear, someone call the fire department... 

Before you defend this retort of yours as being provoked, do observe this is one site where the overwhelming majority of participants show restraint and respect.  Your general demeanor on this site lately has taken on a confrontational quality.  Now it appears you have the site owners/admins in your cross hairs.  Are folks monitoring sidebar PMs?  Why assume otherwise?  This is their property, right down to owning the very posts we all pen as participants, including the PM content.  Certainly if you owned something, and were responsible/liable for circumstances arising from use of said property, you would retain and avail to whatever control necessary to protect your own interests.  In any case welcome to the electronic age.  Owners of web sites are god over their domains, and like God, they have the prerogative to hear everything, should they choose.  I am surprised you don't understand otherwise.  With that in mind if I had something to share with you that was intended for your eyes only, I would PM you for your email and share my dirty secret beyond the prying eyes of Trailspace.  Certainly you also act accordingly?

Thus when you post content along the lines of this topic thread, it comes off as FLAMING HOT in the first degree.  This is a community.   We look out for each other; flaming on Trailspace is disdained by the owners of this site, and this policy is embraced by community.  We have moments here when debates get spirited, but they usually stay on topic.  It is all about the ideas and gear.  EVERYONE will surely tell you I debate anything, and you my son, may become my latest project!  But never do I purposefully provoke folks into acting in an antisocial manner.  I leave that for trolls.  It should be apparent to you by now most consider this thread provocative to the point your motives are questioned.  GifttoGab was not taking on a threatening posture, she was providing a heads up, stating the obvious:

..but jad, if you are just here to stir the pot…

Come on, come on, connect the dots, Jad – the admins may feel compelled to lock you out.  JMHO

See, that’s the thing when you own the platform, you get to set the standards.  GifttoGab was not threatening you, she was confiding you appear to be crossing a line, and wanted to make sure you were aware of this.  Based on other posts to this thread she is not alone.  Unfortunately the hint went over your head, you saw only provocation.  But she meant no malice.  On the other hand your retort to her can only be construed as trash talking, particularly given the flippant and provocative manner you have expressed yourself on this thread, and elsewhere at times on other forum topics.  A lot of chest beating, dude.  So my preemptive reply that you were responding in-kind to GifttoGab is Bullocks!  “What are you going to do about it” ”big Brother is watching me” and “book him Dano” are all worded to inflame.  It lacks class.

Not like the point requires any further driving home, but as one man talking to another, I ask what are you thinking, addressing a woman in such a manner?  This isn’t even an issue of chivalry, which I assume you consider archaic.  This is about you - an issue of how you comport yourself, self respect, and dignity.  Man, where is yours?  The image such attitude paints in the mind’s eye of onlookers has you physically squaring your shoulders and setting your jaw.  Really! You want to intimidate a girl?  If it is a fight you want, GifttoGab has already won.

PS: I noticed you have no avatar image - may I suggest this cool monogram below...  Thought you may appreciate the humor.  And yea, I feel lots better, thanks for asking.

Ed

JAD.jpg

9:46 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Was that cut and paste, or did you think that lecture up all by your lonesome?

9:57 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
603 forum posts

jad come on man. Hostility for what reason? Because you didn't get accepted as a moderator? This is a cool place with cool people, cool contests, and TONS of good information.

If that's not what you want to use it for, don't come here. The childish crap you've written here really doesn't hurt anyone but yourself. It doesn't hurt the moderators' feelings, it doesn't hurt any member's feelings, it just makes you look foolish and weird. Think about it and realize more future childish responses only hurt your case.

be an adult - use the site as it's meant to be used, or go away. No point in hanging around just to flame people. Don't waste your own time.

10:00 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
624 forum posts

Anyone else remember the kid in grade school that wouldn't take any responsibilty or accountability for his/her actions.....

Trailspace is not mandatory, no one is forcing you to choose this site. You are givin fair legal warning when you decide to activate an account. I choose to come here because of these open, encouraging and respectful members. Its an incredibly welcoming site and group of people when you carry yourself with some humility and class. The flip side of that is the sense of ownership and protectiveness you develop towards the site when someone outright attacks it.

So to recap, so far you've attacked the moderators, the site owners and the community evangelist as well as gifto. The one thing we havn't heard from you is why someone had to look into this message in the first place. To quote Dave...

"The only time we view other members' private messages is if a member has specifically approached us with concerns about a message they have received, such as spam or alleged offensive or abusive messages."

So which one was it? Someone just reported you and you did nothing wrong?

I know I've sent and recieved many PM's without getting a warning. Has someone looked at them? Don't know, don't care. I don't have anything to hide.

10:04 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

jad said:

Was that cut and paste, or did you think that lecture up all by your lonesome?

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him think... Just saying.

Ed

10:18 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
303 forum posts

Time to let this one die folks?  Don't see any good trails from here... 

10:52 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Bout time

November 27, 2014
Quick Reply