Lowering My Base Weight thread crashes browser

4:41 p.m. on April 28, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Dave, I just discovered that Wolfman's thread in the Gear Selection forum crashes my browser. This is Safari on the iPad (3rd Gen). It is repeatable (happens each time I try to load the thread). The browser loads the thread and then disappears. Sometimes the iPad goes to the screen lock.

I guess this is an iOS issue, not Trailspace, but I figured I should let you know in case there's anything special about that thead. I do see safari crashes on the iPad occasionally but not repeatable like this.

The iPad is running iOS 5.1.

P.s. this is while using 'full site' mode, not mobile

4:43 p.m. on April 28, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Well that's different. Are you referring to Wolfman's thread? 

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-selection/topics/124463.html

4:47 p.m. on April 28, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Yep, good catch, thanks. Oh, and I viewed it just now following that link and it loaded ok. Go figure...

I fixed my post. Btw when I went into edit mode, the graphical edit mode had HTML markups embedded.

4:51 p.m. on April 28, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

bheiser1 said:

Yep, good catch, thanks.

Never a problem.

Oh, and I viewed it just now following that link and it loaded ok. Go figure...

I haven't really ran into much trouble viewing the desktop version on my "dumb" smartphone. Then again I prolly just jinxed myself. :p 

10:12 p.m. on April 28, 2012 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

bheiser1, really it's not you, I just deiced to block you from accessing my little thread! :p 

No not really.... 

I did invite my two hiking partners over, and I see at least one posted.  Big-W is on a few other sites too, so maybe he'll join here too. 

I swear I did not think this thread would go so crazy. I think it's one of the largest (most post) I have seen on here!  Crazy fun. 

Back to your original post, it may have to do with the size of the thread?  I know if I look up this on my android phone it take a wile to load. 

Wolfman

4:40 p.m. on April 29, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Being that I'm still on dial-up,  this is one of the threads that takes a while for my computer to catch up on.  This along with other really long threads shuts  down on my the ability to scroll or do anything on my computer because there is just so much script to down load.  It only happens to me on really long threads where there are tons of posts.  Pictures do not seem to affect me being able to scroll the page as pictures will down load as time permits but when there's alot of script I can't do anything till the whole page loads.

5:41 p.m. on April 29, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

I haven't had problems with any other threads, and that one is working now.  It seems like there was something in the thread at that specific point in time that caused the browser to choke.

10:41 a.m. on April 30, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

Glad the problem seems to have resolved itself. I also haven't been able to reproduce it here. Please let me know if you run into anything similar again.

10:46 a.m. on April 30, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

bheiser1 said:

I fixed my post. Btw when I went into edit mode, the graphical edit mode had HTML markups embedded.

Was this in full or desktop mode?

The graphical editor has some incompatibilities with some versions of Mobile Safari, so we disable it for the iPad/iPhone in most cases. Seeing HTML (specificly, lots of <p></p> tags) when editing is an unfortunate side-effect.

12:11 a.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Dave said:

bheiser1 said:

Was this in full or desktop mode?

The graphical editor has some incompatibilities with some versions of Mobile Safari, so we disable it for the iPad/iPhone in most cases. Seeing HTML (specificly, lots of <p></p> tags) when editing is an unfortunate side-effect.

Dave, at the time I was using the full version of the site, as opposed to the mobile version.  I'll keep an eye out for any recurrences.  Thanks!

4:26 p.m. on May 6, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Dave, just FYI this issue is back. The strange thing is if I navigate to the thread using Safari, it displays ok. But if I navigate to the thread by clicking the link in the email informing me of a recent update, Safari opens, the thread loads partway, and then the browser crashes.

5:54 p.m. on May 6, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

That's unusual. If you still have it, could you forward the notification email to me? (dave at trailspace dot com) Thanks.

8:16 p.m. on May 6, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

ok, sent - thanks Dave.

10:00 a.m. on May 9, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

Thanks, Bill. I've checked this on both an iPad and iPhone ad haven't been able to duplicate the problem you're having.

Is anybody else here experiencing similar problems?

11:30 a.m. on May 9, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Thanks, Dave. I tried just now on the iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1 and Safari didn't crash.  I tried again on the iPad 3 (iOS 5.1.1) and Safari did crash again.

It will be interesting to see if this is just mine that's doing this...

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply