write a review pop-up

8:12 a.m. on November 25, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

every time I look at the boards, I get that little pop-up window about writing a review (in the upper right corner).

How does one disable the pop-up?

years back I wrote a couple reviews. I've done my duty

8:19 a.m. on November 26, 2012 (EST)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

I agree. It's annoying.

9:32 a.m. on November 26, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

How often are you guys seeing it? Under most circumsances, it should appear no more than once a week.

10:32 a.m. on November 26, 2012 (EST)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Every time I sign in.

11:59 a.m. on November 26, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Yup, everytime and on any different IP.

2:21 p.m. on November 26, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

I leave my desktop computer and my iPads signed in to Trailspace. Well, more correctly "sign me in automatically every time". As Peter and Ed said, the popup appears every time I click the bookmark, so sometimes once a week and sometimes several times during a single day. But it is mostly restricted to when I click the basic Trailspace bookmark www.trailspace.com. It usually does not appear when I go to www.trailspace.com/forums - usually does not, but sometimes does. Funny thing this morning was that I was close to ready to post my next Gear Review Corps review, clicked on the "Write a Review" at the top right of every page and the "Write a Review and win a prize" popup appeared. Didn't post the review yet, though, because I wanted to check something out with the product.

3:18 p.m. on November 26, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I see it pretty frequently. That may just be because I use at least 3-4 devices a week to access Trailspace, and on multiple different browsers. 

3:52 p.m. on November 26, 2012 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Hardly ever comes up when I use my desktop but when I use my wifes laptop it will come up every single time I go back to the home page. Had me a little irritated yesterday...

7:01 p.m. on November 26, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

"By Dave, I think you've got it!"

seems to be a non-issue now.

Thank you!

e

12:58 p.m. on November 27, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Still there :(

5:48 p.m. on November 27, 2012 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Ed G said:

"By Dave, I think you've got it!"

seems to be a non-issue now.

Thank you!

e

Uhh... Did the rest of us miss something?

5:17 a.m. on November 28, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

"Uhh... Did the rest of us miss something?"

apparently so - you missed my follow up post that says it's still there...but yet,  it wasn't when I logged on just now.

easter eggs

9:03 a.m. on November 28, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

Our intent is that each visitor sees the review promo pop-up at most once every 5 days.

A little technical background on how it works: whenever you see the promo, we store a cookie (named "seenReviewPromo") in your browser. On subsequent pageviews/visits, the site checks to see whether you have that cookie in your browser. If you do, we won't show you the promo again. The cookie is set to expire (be deleted by your browser) after 5 days. At that point you will be shown the promo again, and we'll store a new "seenReviewPromo" cookie.

If you're using multiple devices/browsers to view the site, you may see the promo several times in a short time period on various devices (as I believe Gonzan and Bill describe). This is because the cookie is tied to the browser, not to your Trailspace user account. It should still be limited be once every five days on any given device/browser.

If you're seeing the promo once every time you visit the site (Ed, Peter, others?) it's likely that your browser preferences are set to delete cookies whenever you close the browser, or you may have your browser set to browse in "private mode."  These settings cause your browser to delete cookies at the end of your current session -- in effect, forgetting whatever you've done, including seeing our review promo.

The exact controls for this vary from browser to browser, and may be labeled differently in different versions. But examples include: in Internet Explorer having the "Delete browsing history on exit" setting is checked; or in Firefox "History" is set to "Never remember history." Changing your settings so that your browser retains cookies between sessions should solve the problem and allow you to see the promo just once every five days.

JerseyWreckDiver, it sounds like you may be experiencing a different issue on your wife's computer. A couple questions: What browser and version are you using on that computer? How are you navigating to the home page when the promo appears? (back button, link, bookmark?) Does is appear on any other pages, or just the homepage?

10:25 a.m. on November 28, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I run some heavy duty 3D solid modeling software, so I clean my temp files a couple times a day.

Guess I'll just learn to coexist with the pop-up.

11:27 a.m. on November 28, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

Yeah, that would do it. I don't know if this is applicable or desirable in your situation, but both Internet Explorer and Firefox can be configured to delete space-hogging cache files, but leave cookies (which are generally quite small) intact.

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply