Highlighted words?

12:08 p.m. on March 22, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,207 forum posts

Why do some word in a post stand out in blue when it wasn't the intention of the poster to have it be this way? Now and then I see some words in my posts coming out in blue.

12:27 p.m. on March 22, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Gary, typically this is because the word(s) is linked to an article, etc that lies elsewhere on the web or even here for that matter.

If you view some of my posts you may see a reference too "big blue" in the post highlighted in blue. The reasoning for this is some may be wondering what a big blue is so I linked it to the word and all the individual has to do is place their cursor on the word and click on it at which time they will be directed to the manufacturer's/review page here.

Not quite sure why it is happening the way you are describing when you didn't initiate it but I am sure you will get an answer here.

Btw, I have moved this from off-topic to the feedback forum so you have a better chance of getting the answers you are seeking.

-Rick

2:42 p.m. on March 22, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Gary, are the letters themselves blue, or is background that would normally be white blue and the letters white?

4:32 p.m. on March 22, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,207 forum posts

The letters come out blue, I know how to make the words/letters blue to make a clickable link. But I have seen words in blue that I typed in a post or other places on the net which were not intentionally highlighted or blue?

2:49 p.m. on March 23, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Hmm. Not sure. Could you post a few links to your posts here on TS where they appear that way? 

4:35 p.m. on March 23, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,207 forum posts

Can't just make the words become blue, unless they are purposely highlighted. I just ahppen to see them in blue now and then. Just was curious.??

1:09 p.m. on March 26, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,207 forum posts

Example: message from a friend: 

This is ***** from Flagstaff.  Came across your trailspace stuff a while back and thought I would write to see where the heck you are now.  I went to work at GC for xan-terrible for about a year and now I am back in Flag.  I really can`t stand this town any longer.  Trying to find a ranch/caretaker job somewhere where I can absorb life in quiet open space.  Anywho, get in touch when you can.  My phone is 928-***-****

See in the message the word phone is highlighted in blue. If you click on it it brings up a site pertaining to telephone (in this case).

Also in a post I just read under Trip Planning. "PCT this summer" the word next is highlighted in blue, click on it and it brings up a website/link saying Next Visitor Survey?

Almost seems like someone monitors websites and takes certain words to make away to advertise links?

9:29 a.m. on March 28, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

Hi Gary - seems to me to be two issues. 

1. If you paste text with a link into a comment, like:

trailspace.com

The word is highlighted blue to indicate that this contains a link.

I've looked at the thread you just described, and don't see any links in the text there.  This leads me to wonder whether the computer you're using is infected with some sort of malware.

5:39 p.m. on March 28, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,207 forum posts

Okay, new question: My laptop has Avasti as its anti-virus but sometimes I still get pages that load (or unload)slow like the edge of the page drops from the top of the screen to the bottom or my pages freeze and others will load very slowly. If I have more than one window open at a time it takes longer for other windows to open? What can I get to speed it up?

I have been using PC's for 20 years but still am not very smart when it comes to their workings. Or I forget how.

9:09 a.m. on April 1, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

Hi Gary,

For your PC issues, I recommend you contact the manufacturer of the laptop itself, or the particular browser you're using. There are a lot of variables to consider: How fast is you internet connection? Processor? How much RAM?

2:11 p.m. on April 1, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,207 forum posts

I decided to and sold my laptop, I am about to ride to Utah and losing 6 lbs of laptop was a nice choice.

4:29 p.m. on April 1, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

That's the best tech support solution I've heard in a long time!  Ride safe!

-Seth

12:53 p.m. on April 2, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,207 forum posts

I may be catching a ride to Show Low AZ which will get me up out of the heat of southern AZ. Its in the White Mountains near the Apache Reservation. From there I will ride to Flagstaff then up to SW Utah where I hope to be working this summer.

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply