Well, I am at the end of the trail...

5:26 p.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I am going to keep this somewhat short.

I have been here for quite sometime now. I have had many a great conversation and correspondence with many of you. 

...some members of the past that are no longer here and some that are currently active. 

You all are a great bunch of folks.

Granted there are a select few over the years that I have had correspondence with that I wouldn't want to share any trail time with because quite honestly I feel that that their mere presence is the equivalent of having leprosy but nevertheless I took a bit away from these individuals as well.

Most times it was a very bad migraine.

In all seriousness...

It has been fun as well as memorable.

I hope for the most part any of you out there that want to stay in touch please feel free to seek me out on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/rick.horwat.3 

Email:

rickpittsburgh@yahoo.com

rick1976@comcast.net

Or for that matter feel free to shoot me a text(I have unlimited/Verizon ;)

412-925-6384

I have had a lot of memorable experiences here in the past years that I have been around but it is time I move on. 

To the Gear Review Corps members...

Keep up the great work & effort on the reviews you guys and gals have fired out.

...but most of all have fun doing it. DO NOT make it seem like a job.

As some may say the minute you turn what you enjoy into a job you no longer enjoy it. 

In closing.

From my heart I just want to wish each and every single one of you happy trails. 

I hope all of your outdoor adventures are nothing short of epic.

Dave, Alicia, or Seth- At this time I am requesting that you terminate not only my mod status from Trailspace but also my membership as well.

I am well aware of the fact that if this is done it is not reversible. 

Happy hiking everyone. 

I hope to someday see you on the trails.

Keep on keeping on. 

(I just didn't want to sail off into the sunset w/o saying goodbye 1st.)

-Rick(Rick-Pittsburgh)

5:58 p.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
1,367 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

It seems a shame to lose one of the more intelligent and experienced members.

I've enjoyed your contributions, and will certainly be keeping in touch through other means. 

6:02 p.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Thanks Peter, I appreciate that. I have to say that I have taken quite a bit from your posts as well. 

Your trip reports cause me to drool uncontrollably. ;)

6:39 p.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

Rick, your presence here was one of the reasons my lurking turned into active membership. Your friendly, helpful, intelligent advice has always been a highlight. And your gear reviews, a model of the genre. :)

You certainly went above and beyond in being personally welcoming and helpful to me. If you ever find yourself in Newfoundland and need a ride, a hiking partner, a home-cooked meal or a place to stay, I'd be delighted.

All best wishes. All of them. You will be greatly missed.

6:48 p.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Wow, thanks Islandess. 

Kinda don't know what to say. I hope you truly enjoy the CS1 up your way. I know it has a good home. 

If you ever need(or want)to get in touch with me please feel free to utilize on of the means above.

I promise I will most certainly respond. 

On a side note...

Ya never know. Maybe someday I will take ya up on your offer.

...maybe we can go bug hunting(just to observe of course. ;)

6:50 p.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,517 forum posts

Rick. This itruly sad and begs the question why are so many valuable people fading away.

6:57 p.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Gifto, honestly if I knew of another way I wouldn't step away but I just cannot come up with a rational alternative. 

I mean you all are my backcountry brothers & sisters. 

I dunno.

As much as I truly do not want to go away I just don't know of any other option. 

I am very passionate about the outdoors. 

Granted I may have disagreed with some here but I never once had "bad intentions." If I offended anyone along the way I apologize.

It wasn't my intention.

Hey we all are gonna disagree on our approaches of what we use, so on, and so forth.

It isn't necessarily what you use that matters though.

It is simply the fact that ya just get out there. 

Our different approaches to our backcountry forays is one of the biggest things that makes Trailspace what it is.

If we all used the same gear, and had the same logic & approaches what would there be to talk about?

9:58 p.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
624 forum posts

I will echo others sentiment in saying that this community is losing a positive, welcoming and knowledgable member.

I wish you the best in your future endeavors and hope that you have a change of heart....in say like a couple weeks?! ;)

7:00 a.m. on September 11, 2013 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Rick, I've been a member for over 4 years now. I don't post much anymore but I do lurk around. Why don't you just step down and post when you feel a need to. No reason to hike into the sunset. 

Just my .02 worth bro.

8:08 a.m. on September 11, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP REVIEW CORPS
2,003 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

Rick, even in my short while as a member, I've got to say the same as my friends, here, and say it'll be the loss of one of our more valuable contributing members here on TS, and the loss of a positive member and influence on this community. Be sorry to see ya go.

8:28 a.m. on September 11, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
583 forum posts

Farewell Rick Pittsburgh!

8:30 a.m. on September 11, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,310 forum posts

E-mail sent

9:53 a.m. on September 11, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,024 reviewer rep
448 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

As much as I truly do not want to go away I just don't know of any other option. 

The obvious option is to not go away.  Do what makes you happy. If there is something or someone making your experience here unhappy don't get involved in that negativity.  There is no reason to deprive yourself of the good parts or deprive others of the good that you bring here. Just skip the bad and enjoy what you enjoy!

10:10 a.m. on September 11, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,284 forum posts

What did I miss? Why is this the end of the trail for you Rick? Why have you chosen to leave the group? I sent a friend request via Facebook via Clayton Palmer my real name.

10:27 a.m. on September 11, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,517 forum posts

Loks like eventually, we will all only be connected on facebook and another strong forum will be gone. That day will be a shame.

10:52 a.m. on September 11, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,272 forum posts

I'll miss you rick.  You have added a lot to TS.

Respect.

12:54 p.m. on September 11, 2013 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,200 forum posts

Like GaryPalmer I have to say, What did I miss?  I must've been gone a few weeks too long cuz I have no idea what is causing this departure.  You say, "if I knew of another way I wouldn't step away" or something about not having any other option---so I must be missing out on a series of quick in-house retorts and emails and scuttlebutt.  Private matter, I guess.

2:25 p.m. on September 11, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
949 forum posts

Rick, I'm sad to see you go. Your contributions and leadership within the Trailspace community have made this a better place on many different levels. I'll miss your company, and would love to have you back if you should ever have a change of heart.

2:30 p.m. on September 11, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,086 forum posts

You added alot to TS with your advise and Reviews..You set the standards with your reviews to be honest..You have a whole community that you kept laughing with your humor and kept dialed in on the right gear at times. Where ever you do will be best for you is what it comes down to..I'll miss your reviews and gear advise from another point of view..I am also holding out you will be buying a Tarptent..Haha To see you drop some weight and expand your arsonal of tents..

3:46 p.m. on September 11, 2013 (EDT)
1,367 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Tipi Walter said:

I must be missing out on a series of quick in-house retorts and emails and scuttlebutt. 

Sure looks that way. Just a suggestion, but maybe Trailspace staff could step in as an intermediary to help resolve any conflicts that might have triggered this. Rick was a moderator and highly respected member of the community for some very good reasons. It would a shame to lose him over some minor quibble. 

4:05 p.m. on September 11, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
438 reviewer rep
1,084 forum posts

Hi Friends,

I have been in touch with Rick. He's fine, and more than a bit frustrated. I let Rick know that he's a valued member of the community, does a great job moderating, and writes a great review. I've shared a lot of laughs with Rick over the years, as well as debates over the relative virtues of different Hilleberg products! It is my hope that we haven't seen the last of Rick! I don't have any scuttlebutt to share, just a lot of goodwill towards Rick.

7:12 p.m. on September 11, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Rick, my man, if you do bow out for good, you will be missed! You and I joined TS about the same time, and it will be a bummer not having you around. 

Cheers, my friend. 

9:29 p.m. on September 11, 2013 (EDT)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

I hope Rick you find what you are looking for and I know this must be very hard to leave your friends.  I am new and you have with your writing help me make my hiking more safe and also avoid buying junk.  

Thank you, 

best wishes,

Mike 

10:03 p.m. on September 11, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,513 reviewer rep
867 forum posts

Rick,

For 8 years I was a regular member of a forum that focused on....wait for it...Disney World. I have well over 6,000 posts on that forum. I posted nearly every day. When I was away from the site, people would ask about me. I even had a member private message naked pictures of herself to me!

Then one day my wife got breast cancer and some jerk made an insensitive comment that threw me into a tirade. And then people got mad at me for my reaction (I really went over-the-top in my response to this person.).

I haven't been on that site for nearly a year. I don't plan to go back to it--we won't be visiting Disney until the kids are grown and gone (too expensive with 3 kids). But I miss that site. I miss the jokes and the arguments--I was the resident troll hunter, which entertained the regulars and exasperated the moderators. I miss the people I called "friends."

Whatever might be going on now, I would urge you not to permanently close the door. Take some time off. Come back when you're good and ready.

~Jeffery

10:20 p.m. on September 11, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP REVIEW CORPS
2,003 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

+1 on Jeff's advice.

12:04 p.m. on September 12, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,517 forum posts

This sort of thing is sad. We are in an era where social media is growing, yet here, where gear and experience are very important componants, the gear reviewers like Rick and the core are outnumbered by gear reviews that are starting to look like Amazon.com reviews that help little...and are downright fraudulantly produced, filled with inaccurate information that reveals the person faked the review, in order to win prizes. Long timers with eons of experience are seen less and less here. They seem to be being tossed by the wayside to give way to the masses who give limited advice either due to limited experience or unwillingness to learn from the ones who really KNOW. I am sorry, Dave and Seth, but maybe it is time to take a good look internally at why this is happening. Not Just Rick...but lots of the old guys are gone. A true brain drain occuring and then what is really left of TS? Reviews that are not worth the server space? No ability to get very much advice that is not only valuable but safe? Sometimes we have to look internally and make changes to relize we are in our own way and the results are counterproductive.  If not for OGBO and Rick and Bill Heiser and several others of you, my Everest Trek would have been disasterous in my boot/foot/blister department. Sure, there are still a lot of great minds here with good experience AND good personalities...but how long will you remain if little by little this becomes an empty forum and a stack of glib reviews?

5:03 p.m. on September 12, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,157 forum posts

Rick, I also hope you decide to stick around after having some time off. We can all use those breaks. I think Jeffery shared some great advice above.

And if you decide to keep moving on, I hope it's because you're off hiking and exploring the many trails of the world.

6:36 p.m. on September 12, 2013 (EDT)
1,367 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

I agree with both ladies' postings, above. 

• We should be looking at solving the frustrations that caused Rick (and apparently others) to want to drop out, and 
  • Maybe just a break will do it. If so, we'd all be happy to see you come back. 

Assuming GofG is correct, I was once a regular on another hiking website that had an active forum. I got fed up with the trolls (t was un-moderated) but I also realized that the internet format allowed people to post thoughtless or irresponsible information without taking responsibility for what they were saying. 

I once asked for suggestions for a good trail for a legally-blind client, but when I did it myself ahead of time and discovered it included narrow traverses of some slippery scree slopes, with a lot of elevation, I had to quickly re-shuffle my plans. I unloaded on some of the worst offenders on the site, and have yet to return.

That's one reason I believe strongly that our reviews here have to be accurate, and have to reflect a lot of testing under a wide variety of circumstances. Readers rely on us for good advice, as the blind lady relied on me to select a safe trail, and it's irresponsible to give them information that could get them into real trouble. 

Writing reviews is a skill that has to be learned, and Rick has always done a good job. Rather than have him leave, maybe we should be more proactive in finding the source of the frustration and getting rid of it. 

Just my two bits...

9:37 p.m. on September 12, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

Rick,

I have enjoyed connecting with you on Trailspace & Facebook.

Do what you feel is right, but I hope to see you back on Trailspace. I think you are insightful, experienced, and you have really been an asset for Trailspace.

See ya' on FB.

Mike G.

10:05 p.m. on September 12, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,086 forum posts

I just got off Facebook with Rick..He said to tell Everyone "How much admiration he has for this community".He also said he's on the Fence on this one..I told him how everyone is going to miss him and does and how much of an impact his leaving is causeing.. I think he needs time to think it through. I think some Emails and Online talking to him through facebook would go along way to keep him here. He's always been about the community. I told him how much he's impacted it in a positive way..So if you have a little time an email or Online chat will go along way..I really want to keep Rick here.

8:17 a.m. on September 13, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
949 forum posts

Giftogab, you've raised some really important questions here. I don't want to derail Rick's thread with my lengthy response, so I've started a new thread over here. I look forward to hearing everyone on the subjects you've raised.

10:32 p.m. on September 13, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,314 forum posts

I saw Rick's post, but was fully immersed in work all week, so didn't have a chance to post a meaningful reply.  It's probably too late for him to see a reply here, so I'll just throw in my "me too" that I will miss seeing him here.  I'll catch up with him on FB.

I'm sorry to see him go.  I consider him a key member of this community.  

2:15 a.m. on September 16, 2013 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I have been away for a while because my work has been taking up most of my time and energy. I can understand why people get burned out, lose interest or for whatever reason decide to leave or at least cut back their involvement. That is my case for the moment as well. I think it's too bad Rick is leaving, but I can understand his reasoning.

As for reviews, this is not a problem unique to Trailspace. Frankly, I pay little attention to them unless it appears that the reviewer actually knows what he or she is talking about. Reviews on backpackgeartest.com for example are thorough and the reviewer puts up a mini bio. Granted, that could be fake too, but I have found them to be pretty believable. I personally know one of the reviewers. Not well, but enough to know he's a real person with real experience, not some wannabe or a company shill. That helps, but obviously, we rarely have that opportunity.

5:45 p.m. on September 16, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,517 forum posts

Might I bring all of your memories back to a time when Hilary Clinton was secretary of state. Without debating whether her methods were effective or not, I seem to recall her advocating a reset button with the ruskies. In this particular case, I do believe a reset button is in order going back to a date preceding all of this kerfluffel. Say back to early September. Like when you reset your computer to a date BEFORE the virus hit. Or when you gather in the deck of cards, shuffle and deal again. Or a mulligan. Or a 13th donut in your baker's dozen. As you can see, even by this very short list, there are any number of ways to start fresh, renew, get do-overs etc.

Perhaps on this side, we simply ignore any idea that Rick is gone. Restore him to whatever he was back before 9/10. Turn a blind eye etc. And then we simply encourage his return and hope he comes. We will have done our part...and he can come back should he choose, no bruises or scratches and no different roll. I offer this as a bold and innovative solution. The end.

3:51 p.m. on September 21, 2013 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

I have not been around much lately, not much posting on any of the forums I follow.  But I have been hiking a lot, almost every weekend when work would allow it.  I don't know Rick personally, but have always found his post and information useful and interesting.  He will be greatly missed and I wish him the best and good hiking!

Wolfman

12:36 a.m. on October 16, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Rick,

Don't blame you! Not sure if you may even read this now as your last post was some time ago and mine was even longer but this website has gravitated to being less and less user friendly. Sometimes change is good and sometimes not...My guess that this is in the NOT catagory!  Like you...I just do not bother to even log on to it anymore.

Hike on Brother!

The Schlock

8:48 a.m. on October 17, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,513 reviewer rep
867 forum posts

Schlockmyr said:

Rick,

Don't blame you! Not sure if you may even read this now as your last post was some time ago and mine was even longer but this website has gravitated to being less and less user friendly. Sometimes change is good and sometimes not...My guess that this is in the NOT catagory!  Like you...I just do not bother to even log on to it anymore.

Hike on Brother!

The Schlock

Wow! Walk talk about walking into someone's home and spitting in their eye!

Were you insulting the entire community in general, or were you just intending to insult the folks who work hard to provide a free website to provide us with peer gear reviews and forum discussions?

7:36 p.m. on October 17, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,517 forum posts

G00SE said:

Schlockmyr said:

Rick,

Hike on Brother!

The Schlock

Wow! Walk talk about walking into someone's home and spitting in their eye!

Were you insulting the entire community in general, or were you just intending to insult the folks who work hard to provide a free website to provide us with peer gear reviews and forum discussions?

GOOSE: 40 posts? No reviews? This may be a stick in the eye post. Sad to see Rick gone, myself. But this Shoclemeyer post serves no purpose.

7:05 a.m. on November 1, 2013 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Rick you can't go, I can't fend off all the flamers by myself!

I'd say much more but you have already left the station (you and  Elvis); so that leaves a half empty bottle in front of me and the hapless Trailspacers as my remaining audience.  I would have imposed otherwise, engaging in a free and gratuitous psychoanalysis of your impressions and reactions to this hobo camp of alleged dirt baggers, blowhard peak baggers, thru hiker braggarts and wannabes, John Muir clones passing themselves off in Banana Republic Coultur, expeditionary picnickers, bug juice addicts, gadget junkies, granola scented God smacked flower children, and certified authentic nut jobs, like myself, who would probably spend more time outdoors if we weren't monitoring this forum.  (BTW: is internet addiction a substance dependency, a compulsive obsessive disorder, or a sublimated, surrogate reality?)  But since you are logged out, I will cut it short and say I hope you step away wiser and enriched.  In the meantime make new friends in your new pursuits, and indulge in those forums, until you enjoy all you can stand there, too. 

Ed

November 22, 2014
Quick Reply