New Member Restrictions?

10:11 p.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

I joined a few days ago and have made less than 10 posts. As a new member, I can't find anything, anywhere that talks about restrictions placed on new members.

For instance, tried to post a link to an external websites...  not allowed... but didn't tell me how long that restriction would be enforced.

Since I can't post links to external websites, I assume I'm not allowed to post images, either, but I haven't tried that yet.

But today, something else started happening... or maybe I just noticed it... but it seems I can't login to the site but once every three hours or so... and nothing to indicate that when I attempt to log in... I just get a message suggesting my user name and/or password is incorrect.

To say the least, this has been very frustrating, made even more so because I can't find anything that explains why all this is happening, nor anything that indicates how much longer these restrictions will last.

Not only that, but if I can't log in, there is absolutely no way to get any help because I can't post and I can't contact a moderator or staff.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I would be extremely grateful. Or maybe point me to where new member restrictions are posted so I can read through them.

Thanks!!

10:28 p.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Now don't get me wrong because I understand the need to keep the spammers at bay... just trying to figure out how much longer this will last... before I get so frustrated I stick a sharp pencil in my eye!!! ;-)

7:09 a.m. on October 3, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
945 forum posts

Welcome aboard, George! Because of serious spam problems in the past, we've chosen not to publish the exact criteria used for new member restrictions. I realize this is not at all user-friendly; unfortunately it seems to be the price we have to pay to keep the site relatively spam-free.

The good new is that you now appears to have met all the criteria to clear those restrictions, so you should be able to link to off-site URLs and images. (New members can always link within Trailspace and upload images to their accounts.)

The login problem seems to be a separate issue. We shouldn't be intentionally logging you out after that short a time period, so there may be a bug here. Are you logging in with email and password, or using a Facebook or G+ account?

If you're getting an error message when you get logged out, could you please post the exact text of that message? That would really help me track down the bug.

If you're unable to login, you can always reach us by email at feedback@trailspace.com

8:36 a.m. on October 3, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,892 reviewer rep
817 forum posts

I was having log in problems on a secondary computer I use. I had to go in and change my "cookies" settings for TS. Then the problem was resolved.

12:46 p.m. on October 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

@Dave

Well, the system wasn't actually logging me out. It's just that after I logged myself out, I couldn't log back in for about three hours. Happened multiple times yesterday.

And I am entering my username (ondafringe) and password to log in. If it happens again today, I'll write the message down and post it here once I can get back in.

Oh, and when I was having login problems yesterday, I would always clear my cookies, start a new browser session, and try again. However, that didn't help, so I just had to wait it out for a few hours.

Appreciate the quick response.

3:59 p.m. on October 3, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Welcome, George. I suggest avoiding the pencil to the eye thing. You only get two stabs at that trick and when they are gone they are gone...so to speak. :)

4:23 p.m. on October 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

@giftogab

Good point, I'll have to come up with another way to relieve my frustrations. Today I've had no problems logging in so it was probably some glitch that worked itself out.

Now that Dave says my restrictions have been lifted, all is well in my new Trailspace world.

BTW, I am in New Mexico but moving to Vegas in a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll run in to you in Red Rock or on Mt. Charleston.

Thanks to both you and Dave for the "welcome." Seems to be a lot of nice and helpful hikers/backpackers around here.

8:09 p.m. on October 3, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

ondafringe said:

@giftogab

Good point, I'll have to come up with another way to relieve my frustrations. Today I've had no problems logging in so it was probably some glitch that worked itself out.

Now that Dave says my restrictions have been lifted, all is well in my new Trailspace world.

BTW, I am in New Mexico but moving to Vegas in a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll run in to you in Red Rock or on Mt. Charleston.

Thanks to both you and Dave for the "welcome." Seems to be a lot of nice and helpful hikers/backpackers around here.

I love this place. And Vegas too. Nice kayaking and hiking as well as biking for me. Rock climbers are fun group here too. There is a great bunch of meetups to get to meet people if you like.

7:50 a.m. on October 4, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
945 forum posts

I'm glad things seem to be working for you now. Let me know if you run into any other glitches.

October 2, 2014
Quick Reply