FaceBook woes

8:24 a.m. on November 12, 2013 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,627 reviewer rep
768 forum posts

Seth,

Facebook has started treating review posts as spam. I know have to enter a code to post any review to my page. When I try to click on that link, I get a warning that says:

Facebook thinks this site may be unsafe. If you're not familiar with it, please provide feedback by marking it as spam (you'll be brought back to Facebook).

Can anything be done?

8:34 a.m. on November 12, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,042 forum posts

Great feedback GOOSE! I'll share this with Dave and we will see what we can learn. The ability to share reviews on Facebook is an important part of bringing new members to our community, so we'll try to get some answers as soon as we can.

10:55 a.m. on November 12, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
941 forum posts

Well that's not good!

I haven't seen that warning. Could you provide a little bit more detail on what exact steps you're taking that result in that warning (including the specific URL you're trying to share)?

Thanks
-Dave

11:05 a.m. on November 12, 2013 (EST)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

I shared a review I wrote on FB about 2 weeks ago and didn't have any issues.  

8:32 a.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
5,627 reviewer rep
768 forum posts

Dave,

So...today it's not doing it. It did it every time I clicked on the Selk' Bag review link in FB since Sunday. But this morning, it seems to be fine.

When I finished reviewing the Selk' Bag, TS gave me the standard prompt to post to Facebook. When I clicked on that, FB gave me one of those pop up boxes where you have to type in the distorted word provided.

Then every time I clicked on the link, I was getting a mostly white page with a single line that read:

Facebook thinks this site may be unsafe. If you're not familiar with it, please provide feedback by marking it as spam (you'll be brought back to Facebook).

I had two buttons to click on "Spam" & "Not Spam."

Wish I had taken a screen shot, because, as I said, it's not doing it this morning. If I see it again, I'll get more detailed info.

9:01 a.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
941 forum posts

Wierd. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep an eye out for it as well.

9:17 a.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,494 forum posts

It seems, no matter what the content, page or subject, Facebook is simply hinky. Mostly on phone app stuff but from day to day something in their changes. For instance, If I post to a page I manage, it is a crap shoot whether it will post as the page or me personally when posting from my iPhone. That is frustrating because it makes a difference as to what dispays to the viewers of the page. The next day it could be completely different and other little hitches occure. ARGH FaceBook!

8:55 a.m. on November 14, 2013 (EST)
5,627 reviewer rep
768 forum posts

Dave,

It's doing it again this morning with my new Gerber review. Here is what popped up when I tried to post the review to my FB page.

pop-up.jpg

And when I clicked on the link in my FB page.

Warning.jpg

Also, this occurred on my work computer. Last time the problem was on my home PC.

9:56 a.m. on November 14, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
941 forum posts

Okay, I'm getting the same thing when sharing that review.

Here's the official non-explanation explanation from Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=36280205765

I've tried sharing a few different things, and it looks to me like possibly Facebook shows these messages when you share a URL that is brand new or where the content has changed recently.

In any case I would suggest doing the following things to make sure they know it's not spam:

When sharing a link: If you get the "Security Check" message, click the "let us know" link and on the resulting screen provide a brief message telling Facebook you don't think your review is spam. Then proceed with sharing the link by entering the Captcha text.

When clicking a shared link: If you get the "Facebook thinks this site may be unsafe," click the "Not Spam" button.

The more people share Trailspace, (and mark it as not spam!), the more likely Facebook is to stop putting up these silly roadblocks.

4:29 p.m. on November 28, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,267 forum posts

I'm actually glad FB is taking steps to filter potentially dangerous links.  With the likes of the insidious Cryptolocker trojan horse going around, we need to be very wary of following links to unfamiliar sites.  Facebook is, by its very nature, a breeding ground for distribution of these things.

However ... it seems they need to do some tuning to not flag sites like TS which clearly aren't "unsafe".  :D

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply