Trailspace app

8:35 a.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,793 reviewer rep
797 forum posts

A friend asked me the other day if TS was working on a phone App. I'd love to have a 'droid app to look up gear in the store.

9:25 a.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

That's not something we're pursuing right now. We do have a mobile-formatted version of the site, and you can add that to your home screen to launch it like an app. (directions for Android; directions for iOS)

We don't have a barcode scanner, but on both the mobile site and the full site you can search by UPC or manufacturer SKU or style number.

10:22 p.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

I use the mobile site on an iPhone fairly regularly and for the most part it works great.  IMO there's no real need for yet another app just for TS.  If TS were to go the app route, my preference would be to integrate with the Tapatalk app instead of creating a whole new one.

2:10 p.m. on November 14, 2013 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,746 reviewer rep
346 forum posts

Goose,

I have an Iphone, but I have added Trailspace to my homescreen and it does at least look like an app and it gives you quick and easy access to Trailspace. To me, it is the next best thing to an app.

2:34 p.m. on November 14, 2013 (EST)
BRAND REP TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,988 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

Ashleigh,

Did the same exact thing on my iPhone - adding the TS site to your home screen.

I like full site functionality, can't stand apps. 

More often than not, they're more limited and cumbersome.

Not sure how this translates over to your Android, Goose - but a google search might be the trick [and solution].

9:45 p.m. on November 26, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

I disagree with Eric Labanauskas in that I find apps very appropriate for certain kinds of things.  For example I use Zite and Flipboard to read special-interest and general news topics respectively.  I have yet to run across a mobile website that begins to compare.

If apps are "limited and cumbersome", then they're poorly designed apps (and it's true, with millions of apps out there, there are plenty in that category).  In fact it's usually the mobile versions of standard websites that are limited and cumbersome, typically offering a watered down version of the desktop site.

Fortunately for us, the mobile web version of TS is pretty-much full-featured :).  There's only one niggling little bug that I know of at the moment :).

10:07 p.m. on November 26, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

Only one, Bill? Clearly you're not looking hard enough. (Not that I'm suggesting you should. Dare I ask which one you're referring to?)

10:13 p.m. on November 26, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Heh heh Dave :).  The one I have in mind is when I click a message link from an email (on the iPhone), and find myself at a 404 since I'm not logged in when I hit the site.

10:20 p.m. on November 26, 2013 (EST)
BRAND REP TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,988 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

Oh, don't get me wrong, Bill: I can complete a checkout on the REI app faster than I ever could on their standard website. I prefer it. Guess I misspoke when I made my first response.

But apps take a lot of money, and a lot of time to develop - especially those with the levels of ease and functionality that are superior to their website counterparts.

Hence, likely, why most "apps" become nothing more than "mobile" versions of the home sites. Those, my friend, are where my frustrations lie. 9 times out of 10 (on a good day), I'll always opt to use the full site. And that's what I meant to say.

11:58 a.m. on December 2, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

Bill, you'll be happy to know I just fixed that bug (which, it turns out, actually affected the full site as well). If you're not signed in you should now get a signin screen instead of a 404.

4:22 a.m. on December 30, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Thanks Dave! Sorry for the slow reply, but I just tested this. No 404 now - when I followed the emailed link for a forum thread update, I was taken to the message, and given the option to login to post a reply.

Thanks again!

2:20 p.m. on January 1, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

The only thing that bugs me about the mobile site is not being able to see who made the last post. So i just made a shortcut to the regular site on my iphone instead of the mobile site. The mobile site drives me bananas!

11:42 a.m. on January 7, 2014 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

Thanks, Rambler. I've updated the mobile site to show both the name of the last poster, and the time of the last post.

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply