About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Gear Reviews

2:41 p.m. on April 5, 2001 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
924 forum posts

Alicia and I have recently finished cleaning out and organizing several years' backlog of accumulated gear reviews. Hopefully this will make the reviews much easier to use than they have been in the past. We've also added to each review the date it was posted.

A couple things we're thinking about and would love some input on are:
- additional categories: what sort of gear would you like to review/read about?
- better sorting and search capabilities: what organization schemes would you find useful?
- a manufacturer directory with web links, addresses, etc.: would this be useful to you?

If you have an opinion on any of the above, or any other ideas about how we could improve the gear reviews, please post here or email us. Thanks!

-Dave

4:21 p.m. on April 5, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Dave:

This is kinda picky, but you're too efficient! It would be nice if there was always a block of newest reviews on each top list. Then maybe periodically move 1/2 of them down to the mfg consolidation. Makes it easier to see all the newest reviews.

8:58 a.m. on April 6, 2001 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
924 forum posts

That's a good idea. Thanks! I think maybe we'll try to leave the most recent 10-15 reviews at the top of each page from now one.

2:54 p.m. on April 6, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Rich, Rich Moore

Quote:

- additional categories: what sort of gear would you like to review/read about? Headlamps, water carriers and water filters.

- a manufacturer directory with web links, addresses, etc.: would this be useful to you? I think this would be very useful.

I really like the new format. Thanks!!

Quote:

If you have an opinion on any of the above, or any other ideas about how we could improve the gear reviews, please post here or email us. Thanks!

-Dave

10:58 a.m. on April 10, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Eugene Colucci

I agree that the new format is an improvement over the past -- good work. I think inclusion of the date, price, and currency along with each item are factors I would like posted.

Quote:

Alicia and I have recently finished cleaning out and organizing several years' backlog of accumulated gear reviews. Hopefully this will make the reviews much easier to use than they have been in the past. We've also added to each review the date it was posted.

- additional categories: what sort of gear would you like to review/read about?
- better sorting and search capabilities: what organization schemes would you find useful?
- a manufacturer directory with web links, addresses, etc.: would this be useful to you?

-Dave

3:47 p.m. on April 11, 2001 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
924 forum posts

We have added the date to the individual reviews and will soon be adding them to the indexes (or at least the the most recent reviews at the top of each page).

Standardizing price and currency is a long-range goal, complicated by the fact that we have a geographicly wide user base, and that "suggested retail price" and actual sale price are often quite different.

Would you prefer to see the manufacturer's suggested price, the price the reviewer actually paid, or both? (I'd like to show both, but sometimes it's hard to find the MSRP for all these items).

As far as currency goes, I guess we could standardize on US dollars and maybe provide a conversion for people outside the US. Any thoughts?

Quote:

I agree that the new format is an improvement over the past -- good work. I think inclusion of the date, price, and currency along with each item are factors I would like posted.

3:36 p.m. on May 17, 2001 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
5,188 forum posts

Dave -

Questions on navigation tools seem to recur every couple months. So a "Navigation" section, maybe with sections on mapping software, GPS receivers, altimeters, pedometers, and so on would be in order. Or perhaps this might fall under "Miscellaneous Gadgets" and include types of useful/amusing gadgets and widgets.

6:39 p.m. on May 17, 2001 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
924 forum posts

I hear you, Bill. More gear categories are coming.

Unfortunately, it took me quite a bit longer than expected just to get the existing reviews into a semi-usable format. That experience taught me that any new categories are going to have to run on an easier-to-maintain system (e.g. database). So there's some work to be done to set all that up, but it's getting there.

My short list of potential new categories includes:

Navigation gear (GPS, compass, altimeter, etc.)
Stoves
Water Filters/Purifiers/Treatment
Climbing Gear
Ropes
Harnesses
Rock Pro
Ice Pro
etc. (okay, this list could get long)
More Footware (rock shoes, approach shoes, etc.)

I've also thought about setting up an area to review books and maps. But maybe people are too attached to the reviews on Amazon to make that worthwhile...

Any additional thoughts are welcome.

11:34 p.m. on October 7, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. CornFedMidget, Don Masters, ihadtoshootthehorse, midget of love, Mike, Mikey, Mikey_America, Skip and The Magic

you all should make some womens brands available. I write straight up honest reviews. My wife had me write one for her jacket by Isis. So, keep in mind the ladies for heavens sake

5:48 a.m. on October 11, 2004 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,916 forum posts

I absolutely agree that we need to include women's brands like Isis on Trailspace and encourage your wife and others to share their thoughts on products by Isis and other manufacturers of women's gear in our reviews.

You may be interested to know that one of our longer-term plans for Trailspace is to add info about choosing women's specific gear. We want to have helpful info available for all of our visitors.

-Alicia

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply