A REAL FORUM SEARCH

2:32 p.m. on December 22, 2008 (EST)
19 reviewer rep
160 forum posts

This is by far my biggest compliant about this website. I can google search the site, but not forum only topics. Which makes it frustrating to look for answers to questions people may have already posted.

Along with the lack of a archive.

10:48 p.m. on December 22, 2008 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts

Well, yes, there is an archive. You just have to do a lot of paging back. But it is an "educational experience".

For example, here is a 2001 Trip Report in Climbing by Dave. This was for Mt Washington, which has been asked about by someone named, what was it, "mikekey", who wanted to know about climbing that peak. http://www.trailspace.com/forums/climbing/topics/1436.html

Actually, I do have to agree. There are times when it would be nice to do a search on all of Trailspace, and only on Trailspace for "Climbing Mt Washington", for example.

By the way, Dave, did your ice ax ever get found and returned?

6:18 p.m. on December 23, 2008 (EST)
19 reviewer rep
160 forum posts

Yes, thats why I'd like to have a search, so we aren't asking questions already answered, sometimes old posts have good info.

Where is the archive? Becuase I just don't see it.

6:57 p.m. on December 23, 2008 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

You just click on the forum categories such as Backcountry or Gear Selection, and you get a list of previous threads each listed by thread title. It will at least get you in the ball park.

9:15 a.m. on December 24, 2008 (EST)
19 reviewer rep
160 forum posts

that's not really an archive like most forums have, that's just the normal category view.

5:12 p.m. on December 24, 2008 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

yep, but you have to work with what you have sometimes, but I do hear you.

1:59 a.m. on December 26, 2008 (EST)
19 reviewer rep
160 forum posts

It's the Feedback forum: "Help using the site, suggestions for improvements, feature requests, bug reports, complaints, etc."

That's my feedback, take it or leave it, I'm already working with what we have, I'm suggesting more.

6:58 p.m. on December 26, 2008 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

mikekey,
I think your suggestion is quite welcome, and a good idea.
I merely meant that things don't happen overnight, and there have been some nice changes of late with more on the way I'm sure.

You should keep the suggestions coming.

1:49 p.m. on December 30, 2008 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
951 forum posts

Good suggestions here; the current site search definitely leaves a lot to be desired.

I can and will add options for searching just the forums or just the gear reviews. Are there other restricted or more-specific searches that might be useful?

Mike: could you elaborate on what you'd like to see for an archive, or point us toward some examples of what you have in mind?

Bill: sadly, the tool was never returned, although its partner and replacement have performed admirably together ever since. And Molly and Josh -- for whom the trip was a first date of sorts -- are now happily married, so it wasn't a total loss.

3:46 p.m. on December 30, 2008 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

If you use the little search box in the upper right corner, it will return all of the posts, mixed in with reviews for the search term. You can do it by screen name as well. Not the most sophisticated search engine, but it does work. Other forum software I have seen has a more specific search program, but this one should find most of what you are looking for.

Be as specific as possible and try to use one specific word, like sled, or snowshoes instead of a more generic term.

4:32 p.m. on December 30, 2008 (EST)
19 reviewer rep
160 forum posts

Tom, the only problem as mentioned before is even then, you're still searching through some content you might not want. No matter how specific you get.

VB Archive: http://www.hrfbody.com/archive/
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/archive/index.php

Or perhaps just creating an RSS feed for the forums would be even better than the archive?

I'm only suggesting these things because I have experience running successful forums for a number of years.

EDIT: just noticed proper use of CSS for the CTRL ++

2:54 a.m. on December 31, 2008 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

I really don't know anything about what software runs this forum. Dave and Alicia own it, so they are the ones to respond to your questions. I know they periodically do upgrades of one kind or another, so maybe that may be on the horizon.

8:23 p.m. on January 10, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
951 forum posts

Mike, et al: I just launched a bunch of improvements to the search engine, incorporating many of the suggestions here. I posted details in the blog.

RSS and email notification for the forums are on the drawing board. We probably won't do a VB-like archive view. (Though I do find it very interesting that you use the archive feature; it's primarily intended for getting forums indexed by the search engines and wasn't really meant as an interface for serious human use. That you're using it says a lot about how overloaded the typical VB user interface can be.)
Anyways, check out the new search and let me know if you notice any bugs. Thanks for the suggestions and keep
'em coming; we're definitely listening, even if it sometimes takes a while to get new features onto the site.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply