What I like about this site.

10:39 p.m. on December 28, 2008 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

This site has a feature other "local" sites don't have: a diverse group from all over the country and the world. It is enjoyable to read perspectives about equipment or experiences hiking in environments outside of New England.

6:29 p.m. on December 29, 2008 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

I think so too!

9:07 p.m. on December 29, 2008 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

Sorta like staying a international hostel and meeting folks from all over the world and talking about everything.

12:29 p.m. on December 30, 2008 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Wall Street has Warren Buffet. We have Bill S.

6:59 p.m. on January 8, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,362 forum posts

Yeah, but Buffett has billions of dollars. I only have millions of aches and pains.

6:25 p.m. on January 10, 2009 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

You sound like Tarzan or Evel Knevel after their careers?
I like this site because we discuss all the pros and cons about the out of doors!

6:56 p.m. on January 10, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

...millions of aches and pains..., BOY, do I hear that!!!

We have had very heavy snow here in Vancouver, B.C. and impassable roads, flooding, 10 killed and 2 injured in avalanches in B.C. and over 200 cm. of snow on Grouse Mtn., all since about Christmas Eve. I have dug out, pushed and driven my largely well-off Asian immigrant neighbour's cars, none of which I could afford a replacement dipstick for until my ancient carcass is BEAT!!!!

Last Sunday evening, I was in the alley, helping my Vietnamese neighbour who speaks zero English to garage his Lexus. I got that done and walked through our carport, then 3 ft. into the bottom level of the house. I took off my jacket and cap and turned around to see the entire carport collapse in a thunderous roar of breaking wood, snow and shingles....I had been standing under it at my wood pile TWO minutes before, contemplating carrying an armload of wood in for the fireplace. Had I started to do so, I would have been totally squished and probably deader than h*ll....reminds one of the name of the tiny RURPs used in rock climbing!

So, now I get to clean this mess up and salvage all the old Cedar siding for beds in my organic garden next summer.....ill wind and all that as I was looking for some good Cedar boards for that purpose.

Ah, life, aches, pains, getting old like Bill and I.....BUT, the WORST part is that they closed the trails I wanted to snowshoe on due to avalanches and both highways to the interior are closed by huge slides!

11:07 a.m. on January 11, 2009 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

I tried to work at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon one year, then the forest service started a "prescribed burn" of 400 acres. But Mother Nature blew it into 16,000 acres and they closed much of the rim to hiking. That was the whole reason I took the job (to hike and explore the north rim). So a few days later I quit my job and came back to Jackson Hole another summer.

7:29 p.m. on January 11, 2009 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

You know what I love about this site?

It is the people. no big headed ego maniacs talking about how great they are or what mountain they conquered last week. No one being sarcastic in response to noobi posts. People here seem genuine and real.

I feel like I know most of you guys on a personal level, kinda weird for those of us in the pre-internet social networking era. I would be glad to have any of you as a hiking partner. Don't get any ideas though, the wife has the number one slot. Good luck bumping her, she loves getting out there as much if not more than I do.

8:45 p.m. on January 11, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,160 forum posts

Aww, that's nice. It's also nice to hear about other couples who get out there together.

I'm glad we have a community that is welcoming to all, regardless of experience, and civil, even when we don't all agree on something. I've learned a lot, and even changed my opinion on occasion, simply by listening to many of you.

I regularly remind myself that everyone knows something that I don't. So, I better listen to others if I want to learn those things.

9:20 p.m. on January 11, 2009 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

On some sites, the noobi can take a licking, that's for sure. Not here. The Blog, News, and Gear Reviews are outstanding too.

10:41 p.m. on January 11, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
84 forum posts

Sorry to hear about your carport Kutenay. I have helped and cursed my neighbors for their attitudes during this wonderland. They don’t want to push snow, but boy do they want to drive on pavement.

For me the rain we have got has been more of an inconvenience than the Snow. On the 4th I tried to hike/snowshoe out at Jordan River, no parking available so I and my friend had to drive to Loss Creek. There was no place to pull over before, because of the snow piled on the side of the road. We hiked down an abandoned logging road for a while. It was very nice. I wanted to do the same again this weekend but the rains have washed out part of the West Coast Road. It just happens to be at the Jordan River turn off. Anyway there will be plenty of time to hike and snowshoe over the next few months. Good luck with your carport

10:48 p.m. on January 11, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
84 forum posts

I should have said that I like to read about all of the adventures each of you have shared with us.

The experience and information shared has been priceless. I like to describe this sight, at least the forum part, to others as a great big camp fire where stories are told. I have told others about the Website and gear review section when asked about gear or the pros/cons about gear.

This is for me almost a home of sorts for the outdoors.

11:36 p.m. on January 11, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
247 forum posts

There is a lot of reasons why I like this forum. It is factual, not just interested in US conditions and not filled with slang words. Also I feel a genuine interest in solving the question, not just boast about own merits. I have benn looking at several sites, but now its this and the german outdoorseiten I post in outside the scandinavian countries.

Glad you made it safe Kutenay, lots of snow is heavy stuff especially if there comes a bit of rain in it. We're used to snow here, but now it just rains like h... All the nice snow we had is gone. We had a bit of storm on 31/12. I have a wind meter and it read 45,9 M/s (over 100 miles/h). The lid of my mailbox were wrecked, had to fix it with one screw. No more damage for me, but a roof came off in the town!

6:10 p.m. on January 13, 2009 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Outdoorseiten....thanks for the idea, ottostover.

5:33 p.m. on January 20, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

One of the biggest thing I like about this sight is that there is not an overabundance of obnoxious people here. Shur we all like to have fun and games and joke around with each other but for the most part everyone is courteous & helpful to each other. I have been on some forms that if the mods didn't agree with your opinion it turned in to a full out gang bash from the mods and members hammering on you. You don't get that here and im sure not everyone agrees with each other all the time we all have are own ways of doing things.

10:11 a.m. on January 22, 2009 (EST)
85 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

I like this site because it has taught me a lot of information that cannot be found in books or other Websites.

Before discovering this site, I thought I knew a lot about camping and hiking. I live in Alabama where very few people get out into the outdoors. After discovering this site, I see that I know very little. But I am learning a lot!

I have especially enjoyed reading comments and tips from you winter outdoorsmen. In fact you have inspired me. Later today, I am leaving for a two day trip to southwestern Tennessee. I got my new Integral Designs Renassiance sleeping bag and I am anxious to try it out. Daytime highs should be about 50 and nighttime lows should be about 30. Next week, I'll tell you what I think about my new bag.

9:03 p.m. on January 22, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

Hello Frazier,

I have learned a lot on this site as well, I haven't been able to travel much and it's really good to get advise and tips from those who live in other regions/climates. You never know when something you learn may come in handy.

I'm curious, where are you going to in TN?
And I would like to know what you think of the new bag!

I will visit your site as soon as I have a chance, (work is killing me right now).

I too am working on a book, well it's in the idea/draft stage. I'm just taking my time, it's not a for profit endeavor per se (thanks Bill S.) but something I wish to do none the less.

10:46 a.m. on January 27, 2009 (EST)
85 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

trouthunter,
I posted a little information about my new bag and my trip on a new forum under Gear. I plan to write a complete gear review after using the bag a few more times.

PS. We like to camp in some of the same places. I have frequently camped in the Cherokee National Forest Parksville Lake Campground and I love the Smokies. I hope to eventually camp in all of the frontcountry sites and want to backpack to at least one of the backcountry sites.

5:55 p.m. on January 27, 2009 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

I love all the info and gear reviews. This has become my first stop when thing of getting some new gear. Everyone is just so helpful. I have also found some new places I want to go thanks to members here.

4:31 p.m. on March 17, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I do like this Site (trailspace.com) much better than that other, more well-known Site that is connected to that certain Magazine (think backpacker). Those forums are questionable, judging from my experience.

Never in my entire life have I seen people so devoted to only BIG name brand gear. Seeing I offered a different perspective in regards to gear, I suffered the most horrible of abuse on that particuliar Site, something I will never forget.

I received many hate-filled e-mails from those forum members simply due to the fact I did not acknowledge Sierra Designs or Mountain Hardware were the brands to have. Even the moderator participated in this most horrible of behaviour.

Therefore "forgive them not".

This Site is ALOT better. Thanks Trailspace.

Plus I love all the gear reviews, many of which are from lesser-known brands. Very informative to say the least.

9:52 p.m. on March 19, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Ministercreek, you're right about that. Plus, a lot of clothing/outerwear, that is suitable for three season hiking and camping, can be found at low cost stores. Keep an eye out, and some good high tech equipment can be found in Goodwill stores; stuff that the dreaded "yuppie" no longer finds fashionable.

1:44 p.m. on March 20, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Sabino,

I truly believe and experience hath shewed me great gear neither needs to be expensive, BIG name or "fashionable"/trendy.

I use alot of clothing from house brands (i.e. Campmor, Cabela's for example) and lesser-known/non-trendy brands for gear.

I never purchase tents from Mountain Hardware, Sierra Designs and MSR. These are some of the most trendy brand names on the outdoor market today, in my opinion.

I prefer brands such as ALPS Mountaineering, High peak, The Backside, SunnyRec, Campmor, MEC, LL Bean, Chinook, Terra-Nova, Red Ledge, Cabela's and all other non-trendy brand names. Included in this non-trendy list is Diamond Brand gear. Unfortunately, they are no longer making gear for the general public. :(

All this really upset those people on that other so-called backpacking forum. They seen to it I was most severely persecuted for my position, something I refused to compromise on for the sake of popularity.

2:18 p.m. on March 20, 2009 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Sabino and Ministercreek,

There is currently a thread about cheap gear in the off topic section. My suggestion would be for you to continue your discussion there, for the sake of thread continuity.

Thanks

1:43 p.m. on March 21, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Ministercreek, anyone who jams anyone else over their gear selections or their choice of hike is hiking for the wrong reasons. Sometimes the respondents at message boards are like the stereotypes of the "yuppies": "My BMW is better than yours.". It doesn't happen here.

2:15 p.m. on March 22, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I fully agree Sabino. Amen.

10:46 p.m. on March 22, 2009 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

I like this site because of all the gear opinions, member reports and meeting new people that do what I enjoy.

2:26 p.m. on March 24, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I like this site because of all the gear opinions, member reports and meeting new people that do what I enjoy.

I have to agree with you Gary. I enjoy this Site very much. It's like getting an free outdoor education for me.

12:19 a.m. on June 9, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Wall Street has Warren Buffet. We have Bill S.

yup, us kids like to say "mad respect"....

9:54 a.m. on June 9, 2009 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

I like this site because you don't flame the newcomers or beginners.

I ran across this site while researching tents - and found a lot of great gear reviews. I've also learned a lot just by lurking on these forums, things you wouldn't normally think to research.

12:34 p.m. on June 10, 2009 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

I do like this Site (trailspace.com) much better than that other, more well-known Site that is connected to that certain Magazine (think backpacker). Those forums are questionable, judging from my experience.

Never in my entire life have I seen people so devoted to only BIG name brand gear. Seeing I offered a different perspective in regards to gear, I suffered the most horrible of abuse on that particuliar Site, something I will never forget.

I received many hate-filled e-mails from those forum members simply due to the fact I did not acknowledge Sierra Designs or Mountain Hardware were the brands to have. Even the moderator participated in this most horrible of behaviour.

I have been posting over at the backpacker forum for nearly a year... I think there has been a total changeover of posters, because I routinely post about Gossamer Gear and other cottage industry gear without harrassment. People may come up with pros and cons of things like carbon fiber vs aluminum poles but I have yet to see someone harass the brand name. There's been a few threads where old timers have remarked on the changes. there's even been threads where people lament that the magazine itself only focuses on the big name gear makers and doesn't include the smaller backpacking gear makers.

There was a guy who was a little unhinged about a few issues, who had a grudge on for a couple of cottage industry posters who did not spam outright about their product but would include a link to their website in their footer. He's still there but better behaved and under a different persona as the moderator banned him.

Usually, what I've seen when people ask about what to get for a tent (for example), is a list of suggestions from posters ranging from tarptents to hammocks to Eureka to Six Moons to Hilleburg... depending on where the poster wants to go and what season.

1:14 p.m. on August 9, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Trailspace is so much better than backpackers. I was on there for a while I responded to a few posts. Then I asked a question in a new thread and the only response I got was someone telling me that until I had a bunch of posts (I took it to be over a hundred) no one would really take me serious or respond to my posts. So I came back over here and haven't left since. I do get the backpacker.com newsletter and backpacker magazine I just don't like the forum. Its full of crap that doesn't even pertain to the outdoors. You don't get that here yes there is an off topic thread but it exactly that an off topic tread not mixed in with the outdoors discussions.

6:08 p.m. on August 14, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

I've enjoyed the sense of community that is fostered on Trailspace ... very open-source style. It's also nice to be able to get a mixture of viewpoints on anything from gear selection to hiking style. It's good to expand one's horizons by getting the opinions of people with different backgrounds and experience levels ... Trailspace does a good job of making that possible.

12:23 a.m. on August 15, 2009 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

I like Trout :-) He's given me lots of ideas to do with new hikers, like jumpin out of the bushes during night at Site #24 in the Smokys (its known for bears).

6:07 p.m. on August 16, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

Shhhh.

5:15 a.m. on October 23, 2009 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

Too late, I got to hear more about this Site #24 in the Smokys..... Just kidin'.... we like Trouthunter too:-)

We get lots of good and valuable information from this site.

Gretchin

11:20 a.m. on October 25, 2009 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

I like this site because I enjoy the diversity of things to do in the outdoor adventure lifestyle. I come to this site every chance I get to read all the new posts and share my insights on gear, trips and what has worked for me these last 33 years of adventure travel.

2:55 p.m. on October 30, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

I always consult the gear reviews before making a purchase. I find them to be most helpfull especially when you see that all gear, no matter how high rated, has problems. Helps to hear both sides of the story on gear so you can make a better informed descision. Plus, it is always better to learn from others problems and mistakes to help avoid your own.

November 27, 2014
Quick Reply