I'd like to change some old ratings I've made

7:09 p.m. on February 16, 2009 (EST)
308 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

Any possibility of this in the future? There's a couple ratings I've made in the past, that I feel were a little generous now that I've had some experience with a wider range of gear. Or, the possibility of deleting a rating and re-entering it. Sorry if this has been discussed in the past and I overlooked it!

9:13 a.m. on February 17, 2009 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I think an update area would be nice.

Less take a tent, you use it 3 times keeps you warm and dry. Youre happy, you write a wonderful review. 2 years later the tent is toast. I've looked at many reviews and some people write them as they walk in the door having just bought the the thing. Maybe an time tested review area?

9:44 a.m. on February 17, 2009 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Hmm, I wonder... Maybe a comment section for each item reviewed? Not a full-blown review, but a place where people could add their experience with a certain product to an existing review, and original posters could add things like "3 years and 1200 miles later, this tent is still going strong!", or "3 years later and this tent has had to be repaired more times than my '74 Ford Pinto!"

10:01 a.m. on February 17, 2009 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

Sounds like a great idea, I've purchased products in the past based on reviews only to later have the item fall apart, and question the sanity of the reveiwer

LOL... f klock...I just described to my 19 yr old son what a "Pinto" was... he figured it was one of those crazy designed "hippie" cars, shaped like a bean or something... oh, and I uh, only remember seeing the Ford Pinto in pictures :)

11:10 a.m. on February 17, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
938 forum posts

These are all great ideas. We're going to be starting some updates on the gear reviews in the next couple months and I think we'll be able to incorporate a lot of this. In the meantime, humble_67, probably the best thing to do is to write a new review following up on what you'd previously posted.

1:17 p.m. on February 17, 2009 (EST)
308 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

Sounds good Dave, I'll definitely add some feedback on my items until then. And thanks to the moderator who placed my post in the correct forum!

10:58 p.m. on February 18, 2009 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,176 forum posts

I reviewed a tent several years ago and had a glowing report. Many trips later I wrote another report on the same tent, and pointed out some of its flaws. These two reports appear on the tent review page, one after the other. This system works pretty good.

12:00 a.m. on February 19, 2009 (EST)
308 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

That's true, the current method does work fine. I'll just make updates over time. No need to keep piling up the list of "to do's" if this method works!

3:51 p.m. on February 19, 2009 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

Dave, along those same lines, how about adding a feature for posters like myself who work long crazy hours, come home, write a "so so", "brilliant", "insightful", or "funny" post, read it a day or so later, and wish there was a way to tell the thousand or so readers that at the time, it was...but now, upon review, isn't. It would be nice to have a box in the corner of the post where a code could be added later by the poster... some suggestions...LOL (in case you couldn't tell), SR (stupid on review), D (wish I could delete this), I (ignore this), R (regret sending), S (sanity in question), NF (no longer funny), or GL (glad you don't know where I live).

Of course if you did this, then others would want the option of giving their feedback in another box such as YS (yes, stupid), IA (I agree), IK (I do know where you live), or NN (not nice, instead of the other two letter abbreviation that a few people probably would prefer considering some of the heated posts I've seen),

There are also times where I begin a response, go take care of the dogs, finish typing, post reply, only to find several people have already responded, and now the post seems irrelevant, it would be nice if there were a way to delete it without saying "hey delete this" (maybe this option exists, I just haven't found it yet).

1:25 p.m. on February 20, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
938 forum posts

Wow, that's a very comprehensive system of abbreviations! Probably the best way to accomplish that (at the moment) is to just post again saying "hey, my previous message was [SR/NF/GL/whatever]". At some point I would like to add a feedback mechanism where we can rate the usefulness of other users' posts, and especially their reviews, so we can do a better job of bringing the good stuff the the top.

In the case where you immediately realize you want to remove something, you can just edit the post (within two hours of originally posting) to remove whatever you want to remove. If you just leave something like "oops, please delete this" a moderator will probably see it and delete it for you.

5:20 p.m. on February 20, 2009 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

IMHO:
I believe that knowing a post is going to remain on the forum for a very long time, with a person's name attached to it, just might help to keep things from getting ugly somewhere down the line.

You could always just post "Please disregard my last post, I spilled alcohol on my keyboard and it was drunk last night!" ;-)

6:52 p.m. on February 20, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

F klock said: "

"You could always just post "Please disregard my last post, I spilled alcohol on my keyboard and it was drunk last night!" ;-)"

Ah...now you tell me, HaHa.

I would say that one of the reasons I like Trailspace is because it is NOT cluttered up with user options. Some sites have too many bells and whistles and look a little kindergarden-ish IMO.

8:56 p.m. on February 20, 2009 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

F Klock, great idea, except I'm one of those health nuts that has no alcohol in the house, so that excuse won't work.... Maybe, it would be easier for me to just add LOL, S after "laughingbear" it would save me from adding it to just about every post I send (in case the name itself wasn't enough).

I arrived at Trailspace from another site that quickly deteriorated due to a post that was misinterpreted ( no, wasn't one of mine), I thought a way to edit the initial post, before it has been read over and over and over and over by each and every person that clicks on the subject, who then makes a comment about it, before checking for follow-up post, would be a nice touch.

Trouthunter, IMO?, according to Wikepedia it means "country bumpkin" in Japanese? Is this what you meant? (do I add HaHa or a smiley now, or in a follow-up post several days from now). My son has gotten tired of translating all of the abbreviations for me, now I turn to Wikepedia.

2:50 p.m. on February 21, 2009 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

IMO -In My Opinion

11:28 p.m. on February 21, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

laughingbear, I did in fact mean In My Opinion

You are correct according to wikipedia, it translates to Japanese as potato, which is used as slang to refer to "country bumpkins"

I congratulate you on your prowess. I hear it's hard for folk up your way to spell wikipedia, this is where I put the Ha at, 'cause we don't have no bouncin' smileys.

9:41 p.m. on February 22, 2009 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

trouthunter, duh...

(moderator... my apologies if the above image is not permitted, I searched the site, didn't find mention of it, not sure if I looked in the right place, advise)

10:21 p.m. on February 22, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

From wikidictionary:

Interjection duh Disdainful indication that something is obvious. It's hot in the desert. - Well, duh!

I would like to be able to change the rating on some boots & a tent in the past, but oh well. At the time my ratings were based on how much better those products were compared to my old gear, I guess we all do that to some extent.

12:15 a.m. on February 23, 2009 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

Since I use the ratings alot when deciding to purchase gear, it would be helpful to know if someone feels differently about a product. Writing a new reveiw would just average out the rating. Would it be possible to have an edit option for the ratings field (not the whole review, just the "stars")?

Trouthunter, noticed you provided the meaning for "duh", don't all y'all say duh down yonder? up here, it can also mean, duh (of course, I'm not an idiot even if I do look like one), duh (duuhhh, I can't believe I was so stupid as to miss that spelling error after making the joke about IMO), and finally duh (it must be true about folks up our way)

12:24 a.m. on February 23, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
938 forum posts

What we'll ultimately do is something like what you describe, laughingbear: keeping the "history" of how reviewers' feelings about their gear have changed over time, but only using the most recent rating in the displayed and calculated average ratings.

7:10 p.m. on February 23, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

I have a couple items that I'll be posting a review on soon, I like to give new gear a while before reviewing. I'm one of those people who buys a peicepeice of gear and then uses it for twenty years, or however long I can make it work.

I can cook just fine oWhisperliteWhisperlitetion.

laughingbear,.... yes, we do say duh around here with slightly different meanings just as you posted above.

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply