About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Great Book for the Beginner

2:33 p.m. on March 29, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

Just like to thank who ever made up the FAQ page, when I found this site and read that page. It suggested for someone getting into backpacking to read the book, THE COMPLETE WALKER. Got a copy of it afew weeks ago, Great book good reading. If your just starting out and like reading, good book for explaining all types of gear pros and cons.

Link...http://www.trailspace.com/faq/#just-starting

And to give back to the forum to those that like reading I'll link some FREE ebooks. Might not be everyones cup of tea but for free can't complain. I really like the US Army Survival Book, lots of great tips.

Link...http://www.tracksandtrails.ca/tracks-and-trails/hikingdownloads.html

Enjoy.

2:48 p.m. on March 30, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

Just like to thank who ever made up the FAQ page, when I found this site and read that page.

You're welcome, manalishi! That's me.

I actually am planning a big, expanded redo of the FAQ section this year, so I'm glad to know that book was helpful for you.

2:54 p.m. on March 30, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts

manalishi -

Yes, Colin's book is one of the great classics. Unfortunately, he passed away just after finishing editing the current edition (4th, IIRC?). I have a couple of the earlier editions (first and second), as well as the latest. They just kept on getting better and better.

I also highly recommend his "The Man Who Walked Through Time"

3:15 p.m. on March 30, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,743 forum posts

I have the Third Edition and might still the original one around somewhere. One of Fletcher's big contributions, as far as I'm concerned, is his concept of systems-kitchen, shelter, sleeping. Much of his earlier hardware info is now outdated, but the concepts of how to assemble your kit and use what you have still apply,even if you have an older version.

Another good Fletcher book is The Thousand Mile Summer. There is fairly good, if somewhat short article about him on Wikipedia.

One thing the article mentions is that The Complete Walker, in its various editions has sold over 500,000 copies. That is pretty astounding for this kind of book.

6:25 p.m. on March 31, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

Thanks again Alicia lots of other good info in FAQ but the book was the best assignment ;)

And TY Bill and Tom I'll have to check those other books of Colin's out.

That is Unfortunate to hear he passed on, I didn't know that. But after reading the article on him on Wikipedia, it sounds like he managed to cram 2 lifetimes in to 1. And to know that your accomplishments were in writing for others to enjoy and learn from for many years to come...Priceless.

8:14 p.m. on April 11, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

I have an early edition of this book and his novels. A talented writer and storyteller.

12:05 a.m. on April 29, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,931 forum posts

I always liked anything by Dr Suess myself as a first good book for beginners. In kindergarten we read "Dick and Jane" but that was in the early 1960's, ancient history.

2:04 p.m. on April 29, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

Ah, Doctor Seuss, a perennial favorite. Always so wise, but fun.

Did you know, they actually have reissued the Dick and Jane series for beginning readers. I've seen them at Barnes and Noble.

2:40 p.m. on April 29, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,931 forum posts

Cool, good ole Dick and Jane and Spot the dog. See Dick chase Spot, see Jane go to school....

And the Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham....

10:05 p.m. on April 29, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

See Trout get back up! Hear his friends laugh.

I remember those books fondly.

My faves for backpacking are:

The Complete Walker / Colin Fletcher

Bushcraft / Mors Koschanski

Backpacking with Dogs / (sorry)

Trouthunter, the way of an Angler / Rene Harrop

10:44 p.m. on April 29, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

We learned to read from Dick and Jane books in the 70's. Great stuff.

As far as backpacking goes I recommend two for beginners:

The Backpacker's Field Manual by Rick Curtis

and

Beyond Backpacking (or whatever he calls the new book) by Ray Jardine.

Both good, both are pick and choose for your situation.

12:56 p.m. on May 5, 2009 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Ultralight weight backpacking legend Ray Jardines new book 'Trail Life' is an excellent primer for those who want to go ultralight. It is the new kinder, gentler Ray. He wrote this one with much less attitude and it is very comprehensive. You might not agree with everything he does but I'd bet you find lots of ways to carry less and lighter gear.

Amazon does not have it but Campmor does.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/CAMOmnifindQueryCmd?langId=-1&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&searchCategory=&ip_state=&ip_constrain=&ip_navtype=search&pageSize=24&currentPage=&ip_sortBy=&searchKeywords=99447

cheers,

thetentman

8:12 a.m. on May 10, 2009 (EDT)
100 reviewer rep
762 forum posts
9:53 a.m. on May 10, 2009 (EDT)
100 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

I always liked anything by Dr Seuss myself ...

"I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees! Trees are things that everyone needs!"

Everyone, EVERYONE, EVERYONE needs...to read the LORAX. Now THAT is an important beginners book!

April 21, 2014
Quick Reply