DIY Forum

12:36 p.m. on October 21, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,079 forum posts

For a while I've been thinking about adding a DIY/Make Your Own Gear forum to Trailspace.

At the risk of having too many forums, I think it would be a useful spot for people to discuss how they actually make or change their own gear. I'd also put any potential student gear surveys there.

Please offer any feedback on this forum idea. Like it? Hate it? What you'd want to name it or see covered there?

Thanks.

6:28 p.m. on October 21, 2010 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

TLB has a Make Your Own Gear forum and it is very popular since the site is aimed at UL campers and they are always making stoves, tarps, quilts, cookkits and stuff like that.

9:11 p.m. on October 21, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,280 forum posts

It's an interesting idea, though honestly it wouldn't mean a whole lot to me.  While I build my own computers, can do some basic car repairs, and do some "home improvement" type projects, I haven't envisioned myself building my own camping gear. 

To me, camping gear falls on the "buy" side of the "build vs buy" debate :).

But I don't see any reason not to create it if it'll be popular.

2:36 a.m. on October 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
80 forum posts

We call our stuff "Frankengear". It's like some bizarre competition to see what gear mods we can come up with. It always starts with the sentence "You know what would be good here...." or "I reckon I could turn/bend/weld/machine/etc up something to....."

I think a lot of people here are high end users so there'd be a few gems getting around for sure. There'd probably be some manufacturers loitering and poaching though. 

4:56 p.m. on October 22, 2010 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

what did you make?

9:35 p.m. on October 22, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

I would definitely appreciate a DIY section, Alicia! I read the "Make Your Own Gear" section over at BPL all the time for ideas and innovations.

12:17 p.m. on October 23, 2010 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

I would read the forum. I am an open source advocate.

12:56 a.m. on October 24, 2010 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
596 forum posts

living in an apartment in the city doesn't provide me with a ton of options for building my own gear...but i'd like to think one day that'd be a cool option if i had a work space. I say make it happen

4:06 a.m. on October 24, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
80 forum posts

what did you make?

All sorts of stuff for splitboarding like boot mods(buckles, liners, soles), binding mounts (step-in, milled aluminium, vac formed/moulded plastics), board carry systems (packs, harnesses), pulks (for varied terrain), snowshoes (lightweight collapsible mods), transceiver and multi gear harnesses. We've just finished testing various ultra lightweight snow tent peg prototypes and will be machining up a batch of them next week. The list goes on and on. 

My backcountry companions are all tradesmen, including myself, and being male Australians also means we have to forever tinker in the shed with things that don't need it.

We don't adhere to the "If it's not broken, don't fix it" mentality. 

11:39 a.m. on October 24, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

what did you make?

All sorts of stuff for splitboarding like boot mods(buckles, liners, soles), binding mounts (step-in, milled aluminium, vac formed/moulded plastics), board carry systems (packs, harnesses), pulks (for varied terrain), snowshoes (lightweight collapsible mods), transceiver and multi gear harnesses. We've just finished testing various ultra lightweight snow tent peg prototypes and will be machining up a batch of them next week. The list goes on and on. 

My backcountry companions are all tradesmen, including myself, and being male Australians also means we have to forever tinker in the shed with things that don't need it.

We don't adhere to the "If it's not broken, don't fix it" mentality. 

Paully,

I'm a tradesman too, and I tend to do the same thing, only I have yet to make acquaintance with a machinist. That would be a big help.

I would like to see a DIY forum, I think a lot of what drives DIY projects is the need for light, specialized gear to meet the requirements of skilled trekkers. Tinkering also challenges the mind, and some people enjoy that in the same way they enjoy being challenged in the wilderness I think.

11:02 p.m. on October 24, 2010 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

still thinking about building a tent, so i'd welcome this

3:23 a.m. on October 25, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
80 forum posts

Hey trouthunter,

I work on big commercial/industrial sites and if there's something I need to have done and I don't have the contacts, I hit up blokes onsite that do. A quick explanation, a few raised eyebrows and head scratches, a case of beer or two and we're in business. 

I find most of the time they're happy to do an interesting job that's outside of their regular scope. Sometimes I'll take some shots of the gear in action to show them and they're rapt to be part of it.

7:08 a.m. on October 25, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,079 forum posts

I think this thread has helped prove that we could use a DIY forum. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm considering a slight reorganization of the forums and will consider how best to do this.

Thanks!

10:46 p.m. on October 29, 2010 (EDT)
79 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I have been searching seveal sites with this topic in mind. I am excited to that something like this might come to a web site with the outdoors in mind. I am moding equpment all the time for my needs. Someone is for ever sending me to Youtube or somewhere to see what they have found we could use. Hope it comes about, in pictures like Instructables or video as Youtube. . Great idea.

12:40 p.m. on December 14, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I would read it.  I make stuff and it is fun to share ideas. 

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply