notify me by email of replies to this thread

10:45 p.m. on November 5, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

Here's a tiny suggestion...

When we reply to a thread to which we're already subscribed,  the "notify me by email of replies to this thread" box is checked by default.  But when we initiate a new thread (like this one) it isn't. 

Shouldn't it be? :)  after all, if there's ever a time when we want to be notified of replies, it's when we've started the thread ourselves :).

p.s. the same goes for when we reply to a message in a thread to which we're not already "subscribed".  If we reply, we probably want to follow the thread...

p.p.s. and even more so ... when we go back to edit a post/reply we made previously ... even if we were previously subscribed to the thread, the box isn't checked when we edit our post :)

7:52 a.m. on November 8, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
938 forum posts

Since forum/thread subscriptions generate email, and most of us hate getting unwanted email, we decided to go the safe route and require people to "opt in" to subscribe — by manually checking the box — when replying to a thread. That's why, in most cases, the box is not checked by default.

But you raise an excellent point about new threads. I do think that's one place where it would make sense to have it checked by default. If you're starting a thread, presumably you're interested in the replies.

Before I make any changes, I'd like to hear other people's thoughts. Are there reasons we shouldn't check "notify me" by default for new threads?

7:53 a.m. on November 8, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
938 forum posts

when we go back to edit a post/reply we made previously ... even if we were previously subscribed to the thread, the box isn't checked when we edit our post :)

This appears to be a bug. I will fix it.

12:47 a.m. on November 11, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

Thanks Dave!

9:22 a.m. on November 11, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
938 forum posts

No problem, Bill. The edit bug has been fixed, and "notify me" is now checked by default when you are starting a new thread.

10:38 p.m. on November 11, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

Yup, both are working - thanks again.  Sometimes it's the little things that matter :).

8:59 p.m. on November 17, 2010 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

So when will I get notified about a thread?

9:59 a.m. on November 18, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
938 forum posts

The email notifications are sent out daily at about 5 a.m. ET.

10:22 a.m. on November 20, 2010 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

Got mine today, after reading them yesterday. But thats cool!

2:11 p.m. on November 20, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

Yeah, Dave was nice enough to add that feature after "someone" kept nagging him about it :)

11:51 a.m. on November 24, 2010 (EST)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I have never received any emails for replies to threads that I have started or just replied to myself.  I didn't even know there was a check box for the notify by email until I saw this thread.  Is unchecking that box something that will remain unchecked even if you logout and use a different computer and log back in, or is it just something that I must have setup when I made my profile?

1:19 p.m. on November 25, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

D&G, each time you're in the message composition box, there's a little checkbox near the lower left corner, and just to the right of that is the text "notify me by email of replies to this thread".

It could be that you're not scrolled down far enough to see it...

9:45 p.m. on November 25, 2010 (EST)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

Actually in order to "post" the message you have to scroll down that far.  I just said theat I never looked at it or noticed it.  Thanks though.

5:17 p.m. on November 29, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
938 forum posts

There are a couple different ways to sign up for notifications. you can read about them in detail in this blog post.

You can see which forums and threads you're subscribed to here.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply