Active topic

9:41 a.m. on December 23, 2010 (EST)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

On another forum I frequently visit, there's an active topic button that when clicked shows all the new topics since you last visited. Maybe that could be implemented here? That way it's easier to follow conversations we participate in.

Food for thought. 

12:58 p.m. on December 23, 2010 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
4,359 forum posts

Hey, Louis-Alexis,

Guessing that name is a guy and his girl or is Alexis your last name? Thats what I was talking about, I belong to many yahoo groups and in most of them that is the way they are laid out so the original post can be seen without scrolling all the way to the bottom of a long list.

3:50 p.m. on December 23, 2010 (EST)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Actually, Louis-Alexis is my first name. I'm just one person. But your right it could be good also.  

3:56 a.m. on January 2, 2011 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

I was thinking that adding the name of the last user to post in an active list could help a lot. Something like:

Celebrate 2010, Welcome 2011 (6 posts)  latest by Trailblazer12

started by Alicia in Articles and Comments

I think it'll help us to keep trace of what is going on and save us double checking about new info posted in a conversations.

2:16 p.m. on January 3, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
952 forum posts

Louis-Alexis: I've seen some implementations that track not only which threads are new since your last visit, but also which threads contain posts you haven't read. Unfortunately, that level of personalization requires quite intensive logging and analysis of each user's activity.

On the other hand, setting up a single page that consolidates threads from all forums should be pretty straightforward.

Nirotem: We already list the most recent poster in the thread list for each individual forum (e.g. Feedback). I imagine we'd use the same layout for an "active topics" page.

3:24 p.m. on January 4, 2011 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

Dave: yep, now I see it, but it will be nice to have the same for TS homepage.

10:43 a.m. on January 5, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
952 forum posts

We're a little constrained by space on the home page, but I'll see what I can do to make it a little more informative.

Also, that list shows a slightly different selection of threads: generally speaking, only those with a lot of comments, rather than just the most recently-updated. So it's probably not the best spot to check for up-to-the minute updates, although if that's how most people are using it, I could change how it selects which threads to show.

12:09 p.m. on January 5, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
952 forum posts

I've added a basic page listing the most recently-updated threads, across all forums.

It's linked from the home page (bottom of the Popular Discussion list) and near the top of the forums main page.

The direct link is http://www.trailspace.com/forums/active-topics/

12:56 p.m. on January 5, 2011 (EST)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Hey that'a pretty awesome!!

I think it's perfect the way it is and good job to you mister Dave. It's even better than what I had in mind. Hopefully others like it as well.

Hapy new year to all, in the meantime, I'll go brighten up something with my brand new Petzl Tikka2.

5:45 p.m. on January 5, 2011 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

cool, that will do :)

last year I had more time and I went into every forum to see what is new, and now with less time, I just stick to the homepage and that is asaam. This new link will work great, case it shows all the new posts in the different forums.

Cheers for that!

December 25, 2014
Quick Reply