An article on non profit groups that teach wilderness skills to inner city youth

10:47 p.m. on December 27, 2010 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,065 forum posts

Alicia and Dave

I was wondering if an article has been done on non profits groups educateing inner city youth and or programs other than the GSA or BSA and if they take donations of gear we as in forum members have and want to donate to them and how. Thanks

3:55 p.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

To make a very long story short....yes. The problem is we somehow missed a generation. Today's inner city child thinks a camping trip means visiting a smaller city. The parents were never taught as children so the alure just is not there. Several times per year I advertise free camping trips. I take the children to places like Sleepy Creek in WV, or to the GW national forest. Usually for only a day or two and under strict supervision. Each year the number dwindles, until finally, I have not gotten one single call. As for Non-Profit, I am not. I pay for everything myself in the hopes of changing one child. I like to think I have, but only time will tell. I am a Quaker and a member of Sandy Springs Meeting in Sandy Spring MD. I am sure our organization would love any used gear. They are non profit and very active in youth.  ej

9:45 p.m. on January 16, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,079 forum posts

Alicia and Dave

I was wondering if an article has been done on non profits groups educateing inner city youth and or programs other than the GSA or BSA and if they take donations of gear we as in forum members have and want to donate to them and how. Thanks

Denis, thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, I'd like to highlight more outdoors related non-profits as we have the time. There are a number of good ones out there, especially working toward getting youth outdoors.

There are also a few that work to provide gear to such groups. We may cover a few of them in the next few weeks.

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply