getting out of a quoted block

7:22 a.m. on February 17, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
949 forum posts

p.s. I don't know why each time I hit return I create a new text block... sorry for the formatting... I couldn't get the cursor to register below the quoted block.  I typed this reply using Firefox 4.0 Beta 11.  I could go into text mode to fix it, but figured better to leave it this way in case Dave wants to check it out...

In most cases, the editor should include an empty line below quoted content. But in some cases that line can get deleted and you'll find that you can't put the cursor anywhere but inside a quote block, and pressing return within the quote block will either extend it or create an additional quote block. Here's how to escape:

1. The post you're working on looks something like this:

lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

2. Place the cursor at the end of the quoted text (after "amet" in this example).
  3. Press the return key on your keyboard to create a new, blank line within the quote block:

lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

4. With the cursor positioned on the new, blank line, click on the "quote" button in the toolbar at the top of the editor.
  5. Start typing. Your words should appear un-quoted.

The same technique applies for breaking out of bulleted or numbered lists. It's also handy for breaking up and replying to pieces of a longer quote -- put a blank line between sections of the quote and then "unquote" that line.

11:39 p.m. on April 5, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,314 forum posts

Thanks, Dave, looks like it was my bad.  Somehow i never noticed the "quote" button :).

10:37 a.m. on April 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Yeah ... BUT ....

I'm having the same problem.  The previous posting I did, using the quote block, and having clear space beneath to type, was working fine.

Wha happened ?   Did your IT-guy leave, and saddle us with this problem, just for spite?

Yogi Robt

10:54 a.m. on April 27, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
949 forum posts

Hey Robert-

It should be working as I described above. If you're still having problems, could you please let me know what browser you're using, and what steps you're take that lead to the unexpected behavior?

Thanks
-Dave

8:21 a.m. on April 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Hey Robert-

It should be working as I described above. If you're still having problems, could you please let me know what browser you're using, and what steps you're take that lead to the unexpected behavior?

Thanks
-Dave

OK.  This is a test.

I'm using your message to me, to go through the steps you have outlined.  Apparently, it works.

Robert

8:12 p.m. on April 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

DAVE ~~

What's with the BOLD feature no longer functioning ?

Or ... what do I NOW have to do (different than previously) to get it going?

I previously just clicked onto the "B"-icon in the tool bar.

Yogi Robt

9:03 p.m. on April 29, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
949 forum posts

Hmm. It should work just the same as you described. Has theBoldbutton gone missing altogether for you, or is it just not working when you click it?

9:09 p.m. on April 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

OK, Dave ~~

I am engaging the "B" icon, now ... to type this entire message back to you.

It  is showing me bold-face type ... as it has been, all along.   However, when I click to 'post reply' button at bottom-right, it shows up in standard (not 'Bold') in the post.

OK ... here I go ....

9:10 p.m. on April 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

See what I mean?

That entire message should have been in Bold-face.

9:11 p.m. on April 29, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
949 forum posts

Well how about that...

I'm seeing the same thing here. I'll see what I can do.

9:18 p.m. on April 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Thanks.

6:25 a.m. on May 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

One more thing, Dave ....

How's 'bout providing a "DELETE This Post" option, under the "Edit" cue?

Sometimes, I go back to one of my posts, and want to delete it entirely.  Usually because of mis-stated information, or a retort to someone else's slight or attack, when the subject becomes personal.  

I have posted things in the "heat of the battle" that I sometimes regretted.

Yogi Robt

11:39 a.m. on May 4, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
949 forum posts

I've made some changes that should have the bold function working properly once again.

Adding a delete option is more complicated than it first appears, especially in cases where there have been subsequent replies. If you're still within the 2-hour editing window, you can just edit the content of your message to remove whatever content you have concerns about.

7:54 a.m. on May 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Fine, Dave.

Thanks for your help.

Yogi Robt

November 23, 2014
Quick Reply