About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Tapatalk?

12:16 a.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

I enjoy reading these forums and would LOVE doing it on my phone on the run... how much of a pain is it to interface with Tapatalk?  Or maybe a stand-alone android app?  I'm probably dreaming... :)

12:42 a.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I haven't had much a problem with it on android. I did this using speech to text. (Talk into the phone and it texts the message.) I am not familiar with tapatalk.

7:13 a.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
924 forum posts

I'm not familiar with Tapatalk, but a mobile-formatted version of the site is coming very, very soon.

8:47 a.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

I'm not familiar with Tapatalk, but a mobile-formatted version of the site is coming very, very soon.

That'd be great!

Tapatalk is a mobile forums app. Just one avenue... a full mobile site would be better

12:12 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I have no problem accessing TS on my Moto Droid 2. It comes up almost indentically to the way it comes up on my pc. I can still post links in forums, etc. There are a few things I noticed I can't do but its nothing major.

Dave- I guess there is going to be "an app for that?" lol.

12:19 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

I have no reall issues just pulling up TS on my android. the "visual" comment function doesn't work, so I can't post in pics, etc without typing out the HTML, which is was too much work. But for posting simple comments, the "text" function works just fine. Everything else works fine.

Rick, what browser are you running?

(Motorola Droid (1st gen), Verizon, Dolphin HD Browser in Desktop mode)

12:23 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

I have little problems accessing the site on my D-Inc with both the standard browser and Miren.  My interest was in a mobile-formatted site or pairing with an app to do that work, which would require less-scrolling and zooming (you know the drill). 

12:24 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

gonzan said:

I have no reall issues just pulling up TS on my android. the "visual" comment function doesn't work, so I can't post in pics, etc without typing out the HTML, which is was too much work. But for posting simple comments, the "text" function works just fine. Everything else works fine.

Rick, what browser are you running?

(Motorola Droid (1st gen), Verizon, Dolphin HD Browser in Desktop mode)

My phone runs Android 2.2. I am not to sure what browser it runs but I believe it runs Androids "webkit"/ standard but also supports flash. 

I am considering getting the Droid X2(tegra 2 dual processor.)

I am not sold on the 4G phones yet because with the specs I have seen I am not that impressed over what I am currently using. I was considering the Droid Bionic being I have Verizon but from what I found out they are not releasing that phone... At least not yet.

12:30 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Sorry, should have been clearer, I was asking not about the OS versions, but the internet browser. Dolphin is a market available browser that has much improved function over the OS provided one.

12:34 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hmmmmm, I will have to look into that. Thanks for the heads up gonzan.

12:43 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

It allows you to change and control a myriad of settings and has a really intuitive UI with bunch of bells and whistles. The pre-installed one defaults to mobile versions of websites where available, which I detest. Dolphin lets you change the setting so that it defaults to the full HTML version of all websites. You can elect to view the moblile versions, of course, but I prefer full versions better unless they just don't work.

Dave, will mobile image upload be supported on the new mobile site?

12:55 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
924 forum posts

Mobile upload will probably be a version 2 feature.

1:01 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

cool, as always- You da' man, Dave :)

1:07 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I can fire pics onto TS no prob, the only problem I have encountered is I can't fire them into a thread response or if I decide to do a gear review when I am not home. Then again I may be able too and just do not know how to yet(sometimes I am slow lol.)

Like I said other than that I haven't had any real issues on the mobile when it comes to TS.

1:17 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
924 forum posts

There are some incompatibilities between the Webkit browser (used on both Android and Safari) and the editor interface we use on the full site (TinyMCE), so we disable the editor for those browsers. Unfortunately that knocks out the ability to upload photos from within a thread reply. I believe that's at the root of what Rick's describing.

Rick makes a good point: you should be able to upload by going to your profile -> Photos -> Upload Photo. Unfortunately, the final step of getting them in to the forum post is still missing. (Unless you're comfortable entering the HTML.) It's not an ideal solution, and for that I'm sorry.

1:20 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

aw, snap! I just downloaded the newest ver. of dolphin and it supports upload, awesome. I had tried in the past and it wouldnt work from the stock browser either. Hmm, let me try posting a pic..
IMG_20100915_144246.jpg

Oh, heck yeah, it worked! Dolphin FTW!

1:26 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
924 forum posts

Nice! Are you in Grand Teton now? Jealous....

1:30 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Lol, you can't just go to TS on your phone and hit the "share your photos" tab then "upload photo" then "choose file?"  This automatically give me choices in my phones gallery, etc.

After I choose the photo and shoot it thru it always comes back as "not found" but it loads to TS.  It was the same way on my Droid 1.

I am with Dave on this one, I am a little envious as well if that is where you are.  Nice pic.

I was firing out pics on TS when I was on my last trip directly from the trail which was alot of fun.

1:32 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

I am not there now, I took this last september when I was out there for a plein air landscape painting conference. BUT, I will be out there again this sept for the same trip, and I am going to take a couple extra days and  hike the Teton Crest Trail. 

Seriously though, there are few people on TS I've thought about inviting, since right now I am going it solo. You guys Wanna come join me? :)

1:36 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

It hadn't worked before, at least not for me. But this is the first time I've tried in months.

The photo above past posted via my droid using the full HTMl "visual" editor using Dolphin in Desktop mode. That definitely didn't work until the last update I downloaded am in ago

1:43 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Sept might be a short time away for me to jump on this one.  I most certainly would love to go.  I am quite adamant on getting together with fellow members here in the future and seeing some new things.  I have done the LHHT 8x and counting. 

I am getting a bit burnt on it.  Need to see some new stuff if ya know what I mean. Nevertheless, I still appreciate what I have. I am actually considering volunteering as a ridge runner here to give a hand with trail maintenance being I think its the right thing to do just to give a bit back to a trail that has given me so many memories and more to come.

Granted I like soloing but I definitely would appreciate the company of being around others, especially the members I have encountered here.

Great bunch of people.

1:48 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

I hear ya. It was great meeting up with Trout, Rocklion and Beersheba to do Fiery Gizzard ealier this year. I never got around to posting my photos from that trip like I promised, but it was a great time.

But ya know, it'd be just the cost of a plane ticket, food, and a shuttle ride ;)

1:52 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

gonzan said:

I hear ya. It was great meeting up with Trout, Rocklion and Beersheba to do Fiery Gizzard ealier this year. I never got around to posting my photos from that trip like I promised, but it was a great time.

But ya know, it'd be just the cost of a plane ticket, food, and a shuttle ride ;)

Oh believe me, I have no problem with that at all. I just have a few larger jobs coming up around that time(one involves a bit of scaffolding.) Uggghhhhhh.

Please keep me posted of trips further down the road and I can guarantee I will certainly jump on the opporotunity to hit the trails with ya.

1:56 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Will do,  I am planing on doing the trip out to wyoming every year for a while, since business takes me out there.  Until I am 100% self imployed and ditch the corporate design job, that will probably be the only big  trip I will be able to make each year. Sucks.  Weekend trips keep me going :)

2:02 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Any trip keeps me sane. ;)

2:18 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I do wanna thank Dave and Alicia as well as all others involved in putting TS together and getting it to where it is now. I am really excited to where the future is headed here.

Its alot of work to put something like this together. I commend everyone for their efforts. Trailspace is an awesome site.

I get great "real-world" advice that has been extremely valuable at times when I am out and about on my treks.

Also this has to be one of the best(the best as far as I am concerned) ways to get the info one needs when in the market to purchase gear, etc.

I mean seriously, what better way to get the info you desire than from those who do it? Then there are the gear reviews. Look money is a tough commodity to obtain for so many. Times are tough. What better way to maximize your dollar spent than getting advice from the individuals who have utilized this gear? This site has saved me major greenbacks. Trial and error can be quite expensive. I know all to well from past experience.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate the info, as well as meeting great folks tremendously, and I cannot recommend this community/site enough to others. Trust me I have recommended TS to everyone and anyone I come in contact with that is into this kinda stuff.

Like I said previously, great all around bunch of people...

Thanks all, I will do everything I can to give a lil back. :)

***Thats wild, my 1000th post was a thank you post. Cool, I am sure there will be 1000s more.***

2:41 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

^ This +1000

I am pretty sure my friends and family are tired of my starting a sentences with "So, on Trailspace the other day..."

2:44 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I am gonna move this to a thank you TS forum topic under general with a little bit of added stuff. I'd like to see the response. :)

I just think it deserves its own thread and is kinda of a  thanks to those that put their time and effort into TS. I feel they deserve the recognition as well as the members that make up the community.

4:16 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

Hey Dave:

Perhaps you could facilitate a low tech interface for those of us who loathe to carry cellular gear.  A smoke-signal interface would be nice.... ;)

Ed

4:22 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

I do wanna thank Dave and Alicia as well as all others involved in putting TS together and getting it to where it is now. I am really excited to where the future is headed here.

Its alot of work to put something like this together. I commend everyone for their efforts. Trailspace is an awesome site.

You're very welcome, Rick.

You and the many other community members who contribute so positively to the site (a number of whom are also in this thread!) make Trailspace what it is.

12:20 a.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
924 forum posts

Gonzan: Thanks for the invite. Unfortunately, September is already a little crazy. I'll have to take a rain check.

Rick: Thanks for the kind words, and for all you do to make this such a great community. Congrats on your thousandth post!

Ed: I was thinking semaphore, but smoke signals would definitely require less dedicated gear. Maybe time for a redesign...

9:27 a.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

gonzan said:

... I was out there for a plein air landscape painting conference ....

We are having our annual plein air event right now, here in downtown Easton (MD).   Kinda cool to be able to chat with the artists, while looking over their shoulders.

Very well-attended.   Serious prize awards.   Lotsa support by the community.   We have scads of art galleries and museums in this little town.   Also host of an annual Waterfowl Festival every November.   Tens-of-thousands attend.

~r2~

10:13 a.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Robert,  if that event draws some of the better landscape painters in the region, it is very likely that I know some of them.

11:47 a.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,046 forum posts

@ Dave I have some Semiphore flags. Be willing to give them to (ED) LOL

6:37 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

gonzan said:

Robert,  if that event draws some of the better landscape painters in the region, it is very likely that I know some of them.

They mostly position themselves on  the streets and street-corners ... painting the  old Courthouse, the charming Colonial-era buildings, with landscape either in the background, or as a setting (with overhanging tree branches, etc.).

I helped one guy get some art-supplies this morning.

~r2~

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply