Burned a hole in my Down Sweater!

4:52 p.m. on November 12, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

So as I was trying out my new Pocket Rocket, I bumped the cuff of my down sweater on one of the hot prongs and burned a hole in it. It is not through and through....I had the cuff rolled up so it is a small hole in the inside, actually, of the sleeve. I used some tape recommended by REI for tents, tarps, jackets, bags etc. I ahve applied it but wanted to know what you all have had success with to repair a rip in the down jacket.

5:46 p.m. on November 12, 2011 (EST)
60 reviewer rep
115 forum posts

How you liking that pocket rocket now?  I hate it when a well liked piece of gear gets its first battle scar, but on the flip side its finally a part of the team then.  No more wearing it to church, now its bonafide trail gear.

I sew/stitch up my down gear when it rips.  I'm not so proficient that I use a special knot or anything but I just keep going until its sealed.  I do wax my thread for strength and longevity.  I save duct tape for waterproof things as duct tape is watertight.  At least according to Red Green it is anyway.  

6:02 p.m. on November 12, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I was thinking of adding sewing around the tape...which was not duct tape but a different, more fabric type tape. I will put the remaining tape in my kit in case of rips on the trail so I can repair there too.

8:18 p.m. on November 12, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,079 forum posts

I always hand stitch the tape in place, seems to work fine, though I am a lousy hand sewer.

3:30 a.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Tenacious Tape

9:59 a.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

CALLAHAN! That's the stuff I got! Hope it was the right choice.

5:07 p.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

A good choice until you find something better.  I like how the neutral color will camouflage itself.

9:43 p.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

If you can find a sailmaker in your neighborhood or online, get the ripstop tape used to repair sails. It comes in various colors and works like duct tape. I've used it on a number of things. One way is to make the hole big enough to slide a piece inside the cut, so you wind up with two pieces of tape-one inside, one outside.

10:59 p.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

THANKS Tom.....I will do that!

7:51 p.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

If you can't find any locally, this online store has it-

http://www.beaconfabric.com/vindex.html?cat278.htm

so should West Marine (www.westmarine.com)

Some tape may be stronger than others, but for a jacket, the lighter stuff may work better because it will not be as stiff. Unlike a sail, you probably won't be putting any stress on the fabric or the repair, so the lighweight stuff should be fine.

Something that will stick to a sail should stick to most any kind of fabric except maybe that Kevlar stuff Kelty used to use.

7:05 a.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,316 forum posts

Stitch the tape in for sure. But obviously prevention is the key to the future after you do the repair. I always put my l/s columbia hiking shirt over my puffy to protect it from any flying embers or otherwise things that may not be kind to it.

9:08 a.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Thanks, Rambler. And all the others too. It is now repaired other than the stitching which I will do tonight. It really was due to being so excited about the Rocket that I was not even thinking. :S

10:38 a.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Just a little hint.Round the corners of the patch tape and it will be less likely to get caught and peel off.ymmv

3:13 p.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Also Tear-aid is another product that will work well for this type of repair. I keep some in my repair kit. They make 2 different types for different applications. 

http://www.tear-aid.com/?gclid=COTMiOH7u6wCFQFX7AodDktCqw

12:25 a.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

...............and stop using your sweater as a pot holder! ;-}>

2:02 a.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

HA Ape....that would have been better than simply dragging the big sleeve across what essentially was a hot poker! I got my repair supplies and am sowing that puppy up!

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply