Blow up your Air Mattres in 60 seconds

2:39 a.m. on November 27, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

I just stumbled on this video and thought that it was pretty good idea. I have'nt tried it yet cuz I have'nt bought my new pad yet, but sure plan on trying it.

10:12 a.m. on November 27, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Kids these days......what a great trick!

12:40 p.m. on November 27, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,495 forum posts

There is, or was, a product on the market just for this.

I cant remember who the manufacturer was, but I saw a demo of the product on YouTube, it's been a while.

Thanks for the posting the video azrhino!

1:29 p.m. on November 27, 2011 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

The instaflator! I have one and they work great. Better then huffing and puffin.

7:58 p.m. on November 27, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Now, if I could just get rid of my lungs to make up for the weight of this extra piece of gear than I just might go for it.  Do they have anything that will set my tent up and unroll my bag for me?  I sure could use something to do the cooking as well. ;-}>

Neil Young on his 1972 album Harvest  "A man needs a maid"

9:51 p.m. on November 27, 2011 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Interesting, the original video title says 60 seconds, but even the cameraman said it took 2 minutes. Cool idea though. Not sure which came first, but both videos together show that:

1. A good, cheap idea can be made more complicated and sold to the unsuspecting public. 

Or: 2. An idea that is marketed to be sold can be made simpler and less expensively at home.

10:38 p.m. on November 27, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

f_klock said:

Interesting, the original video title says 60 seconds, but even the cameraman said it took 2 minutes.

The demo did take 2 mins, but the actual inflation was far less time.

12:56 a.m. on November 28, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

The Instaflator... whoda thought. even if it took 3 mins I think its still kinda cool way to blow up a pad. 

Niel Young's Harvest was one of the best albums ever produced, IMHO a real classic

1:44 p.m. on November 28, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,311 forum posts

The standard stuffbag that comes with the NeoAir does just exactly the same thing. And the optional stuff sack that allows conversion of the NeoAir into a stool is faster, plus allowing you to use it as a stool. I would have to look back at the ORShow blogs for last summer's show, but I believe that Alicia or Seth wrote about it. Since you will have the stuff sack with you anyway, no need for the plastic garbage bag.

I tried the Instaflator out a couple years ago. Yeah, it works, but it is a huge piece of gear that weighs a lot and does not compress. Besides, the air mattress that comes with it is just a plain old air mattress that allows a lot of convective heat transfer, hence is (1) useless when sleeping on snow or ice (or just plain old cold winter ground) and (2) like any air mattress, is easy to puncture. The NeoAir 4-season (or is it All-season) is double-chambered, plus has a mylar reflective surface on the inner chambers, so it is quite comfortable in winter. I tried a prototype last February during the Winter Camping course I teach and found it warmer than my regular Thermarest. However, any inflatable, whether conventional air mattress, NeoAir multichambered, or filled with foam (Thermarest), down (Stephenson's or Big Agnes), or Primaloft, if you puncture one, you have to find the hole and patch it. 2 of my climbing partners and I spent several hours finding a tiny pinhole in one of their pads, luckily holed up during a 4 day storm on Denali, so we weren't going anywhere. Otherwise we would have lost a day. That's why I and many of my partners on high altitude or polar treks use a closed cell foam pad ("Blue Foam" or the commercial Ridgerest or Z-Rest) in addition to the inflatable - bulky, but they don't go flat and do provide at least some insulation against the cold ground, ice, or snow.

4:03 p.m. on December 6, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

This is awesome

4:10 p.m. on December 6, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

I like both options but will adopt the first

12:45 p.m. on December 20, 2011 (EST)
2,430 reviewer rep
5,311 forum posts

I looked at the Instaflator video (finally!), and it is not the device I was thinking it was. So cancel that part of my post above (first two sentences in the second paragraph). Question I do have about the Instaflator, now that I have viewed the video, is (1) cost and (2) how durable is it when being continually stuffed into a pack and taken out, particularly in cold weather (being what appears to be a poly plastic of some sort).

9:42 p.m. on December 20, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Well I bought my Noeair pad and took it out last week. Love it. Hope it holds up.

I gotta say that its really no big deal to just blow it up using good old lung power. Its more of a pain trying to deflate it and roll it up then it is to inflate.

I just thought the bag inflation idea was pretty slick, but it too is probably a bigger hassle then just lung'n it

6:08 p.m. on December 21, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Bill S said:

I looked at the Instaflator video (finally!), and it is not the device I was thinking it was. So cancel that part of my post above (first two sentences in the second paragraph). Question I do have about the Instaflator, now that I have viewed the video, is (1) cost and (2) how durable is it when being continually stuffed into a pack and taken out, particularly in cold weather (being what appears to be a poly plastic of some sort).

That's funny, I'm sitting hear thinking "what the hell is his definition of heavy"? I have one, two actually, they are cheap enough I figured I would just buy a spare straight off. Don't think I could even get it to register on a scale, if I did put it on one. Weighs pretty much nothing. I think I paid like seven or eight dollars for both, including the shipping. Looking back at the site it's $3.99.  http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Floats-Toys-and-Games/Floats-and-Lounges/76052.html

I haven't put a ton of use on mine but it's pretty durable, no troubles yet. I just slide it in between my sleeping bag and air pad in my pack. Don't know about sub zero temps. Even if it does get a pin hole in it, 95% of the air is still going to go into the pad and should be easy enough to patch the heck out of it with duck tape, surgical tape etc. Usually fill my Big Agnes standard rectangular IAC with two cycles of the instaflator.

What I like about it is I'm not putting the moisture of my breath into the insulation of my air pad which would definitely take away some r value.

One draw back is it is very long and kind of has to be inline with the pad, end to end. Sometimes it's easiest to work from outside the tent with the pad inside, if you can. The garbage bag has it beat in that respect.

7:41 p.m. on December 21, 2011 (EST)
2,430 reviewer rep
5,311 forum posts

There is another device that combines air mattress with the inflator acting as the carrying container, with a somewhat similar name. When I saw the name, I did the mental connection and moved on.

The NeoAir (at least the All-Season) comes with a stuff sack that acts like the plastic garbage jury-rig in the OP. Alternatively, you can buy a larger optional bag that you use to inflate the NeoAir part way, then roll it lengthwise and slip it into the inflator bag to make a stool. Since the included stuff sack is the way you would normally carry it in your pack, there is no extra weight. The optional "stool bag" is only a couple ounces heavier.

7:52 a.m. on December 22, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

I found the standard stuff sack that comes with the All Season Neo Air to be far more work than just blowing up the pad manually. It seems too small for the task.

And I didn’t notice a large difference in effort between blowing up the All Season versus the regular Neo Air.

Bill, I didn’t see the stool stuff sack…that’s an interesting idea…

10:59 p.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
211 forum posts

There is a new inflator from CAMP-TEK that is really slick for blowing up the Neo-air and other mattresses that can accept the nozzle.  Weighs a couple of oz...i used it on my older Exped DAM and my Neo-air and it was impressive.
Microburst-by-Camp-Tek.jpg

11:04 p.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Isn't using your breath cheaper?

1:02 a.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
211 forum posts

For guys like you, David, money's no object!  ;-)

2:01 a.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
34 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

The Microburst is pretty cool but the $35 price tag, with S&H, is a deal breaker for me.

6:41 a.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I find it ironic we have the pipes to slog our butts and kit over hill and dale, yet fuss enough about blowing up a cushion that we would muse over the alternatives. 

Someone needs to drink more, or be cut off!

Ed

5:18 p.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Heh. heh.  Only the best Charlie.  

9:51 p.m. on February 24, 2012 (EST)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

This is a cool idea not only for air matresses but also floatation devices of all kinds. The great thing about this idea is that the air that goes into whatever is inflated does not include the moisture we exhale. Undoubtedly the humidity in the air would affect the humidity air that is transfered but should be considerably less than what comes from our lungs. This would go a long way in eliminating a lot of the mold growth in these inflatables.

3:12 p.m. on March 16, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

I just got slimed

3:14 p.m. on March 16, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Yep I bought a green one.

3:18 p.m. on March 16, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

It packs smalle than those plastic bag options which I did try and did not like.

It blows up my Therm-A-Rest NeoAir in 2:30.

It is very very light.

Love it.

I am volunteering to blow up the pads while camping now.

Going to score some brownie points.

9:18 p.m. on April 1, 2012 (EDT)
2,430 reviewer rep
5,311 forum posts

Last weekend during the High Adventure training course for Scout leaders I help teach, one of the staff had the Instaflator. I tried it out and found it worked well - except for being a gazillion feet long. Certainly wouldn't fit in my tent, but it was quite fast. I took a look around and found that my neighborhood Leslie's Pool Store sells them for inflating pool floats and toys for $0.99. Yes, that's ninety nine cents. Well, hey, ya can't go wrong, so I bought two.

Preliminary gear review - The fitting provided includes two attached insert funnels for blowup toys, that slide into the tubular opening, plus a clear plastic sleeve to adapt to "screw-type valves" (i.e. inflatable pads). It worked ok on my Thermarest standard 3/4, but needed a short breath to touch up. It worked very well on my NeoAir 4-season, except that the plastic sleeve was too tight and shoved the rubber outer cover on the valve out of the way. So I fitted the provided plastic sleeve over the inner part of the inflation tube in the NeoAir's standard stuff sack, putting the slightly larger NeoAir adapter on the NeoAir's valve - perfecto! 1-1/2 bags full gave just right inflation on my full-length Neoair. I then tried it on a Big Agnes insulated inflatable that I won as part of a prize package (first time in about 5 years I have won something in a drawing). I had tried blowing the BA up by mouth and found it to be a super pain - harder than any other inflatable I have tried or used. The Instaflator didn't do any better - rating for the Big Agnes pad - 1 star, and that much only because it was passably comfortable the one time I actually got it inflated and instantly flopped on it gasping like a landed catfish.

Ok, so the Instaflator gets 4 stars - 5 for performance, minus one for not fitting withing the confines of a backpackable tent for 3 or fewer persons. The price is right at $0.99, and if it isn't storming, I can just inflate the pad outside the tent or through the open door of the tent. And of course, I had to add "sales tax" to the $1.98 for the 2 I got, plus the $4.80/gal gas I had to burn getting to Leslie's and back home.

11:52 a.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

I tried this but kept popping the bag.  So I bought a MicroBurst, very happy.

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply