VIDEO: Knife Clip Modification

3:33 p.m. on December 12, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,601 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

This is a nice little mod for someone who wants more grip for their pocket clip on their knife.  I lost a knife clipped to my pack two years ago and it broke my heart.  Loved that knife.  I did this mod to darken my clip so it is less noticable in my pants, but I've found that it grips a lot better now.  

If you need more grip for your clip, check this out.

1:17 a.m. on December 15, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Pretty slick Arson!

Ive got a knife that I just love but always afraid Im gonna lose it since the clip does not hold well. It could use to be tighter and needs something for friction, I think this just might be the ticket.  Thanx for the idea and I'll let ya know how it comes out.

11:50 a.m. on January 17, 2012 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Yep, gives more grip for the clip. Its not giving quite as much grip as I was hoping for but made a defrence for sure. I would recomend the mod to anyone thinking about trying. Its a quik and easy possible fix that if your not happy with you can just slice off.

Thanx arson

7:48 p.m. on January 17, 2012 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Nice tip, Arson. I watched my favorite spyderco rescue knife slip off my PFD, plop into, and sink to the bottom of a lake during a kayaking day trip. (sad face)

This tip made me think, and I might try a similar mod using black rubberized tool handle dip on the clip of my replacement knife. http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

6:48 a.m. on January 18, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,601 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

Ouch! That hurts to think about.

11:40 a.m. on January 18, 2012 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

another good idea f klock, let me know how that works for ya. Im not sure what the cost of the dip is but if it gives a better grip Im willing to try it on a few items.

1:14 p.m. on January 18, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Slick lil mod. Doesn't look all "boogered" up either.

On the plus side even though there is a lil more resistance when attaching it to the pocket this may be a positive being that it may also provide more resistance in regards to removal. 

Nice vid, thanks for sharing.  

2:58 p.m. on January 18, 2012 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

azrhino said:

another good idea f klock, let me know how that works for ya. Im not sure what the cost of the dip is but if it gives a better grip Im willing to try it on a few items.

It's not cheap if you're just looking to mod a knife clip, about 6 or 7 bucks for the medium can. However, I've used it to dip the whip end of rope, tool handles, eyeglass temples (at the ears bend), to reinforce tree climbing throw bags, and a variety of other things. Worth it's weight, as they say.

3:02 p.m. on January 18, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I wonder if the Flex-Seal that is advertised in a can would achieve comparable results. Its basically liquified rubber in an aerosol can from my understanding.

https://www.getflexseal.com/?tag=im|sm|go|tm&a_aid=011&a_bid=a4cc8494

Hmmmm...

10:57 a.m. on January 19, 2012 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

What happened to the video??  Or am I missing something?? 

Wolfman

11:36 a.m. on January 19, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,601 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

Wolfman said:

What happened to the video??  Or am I missing something?? 

Wolfman

I think your missing something.

10:26 a.m. on January 24, 2012 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Hey Wolfman, if the video isn't showing in the thread, here's a link to it on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5UuhvitYqs

11:45 a.m. on January 24, 2012 (EST)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

Great mod!  

If you have access to a heat gun, the shrink tube really can fit snug without burning.  There are a couple of different shrink tubes.  Some come with a heat release glue inside that really sticks.  Might think about that one.  If you know any folks who do industrial/plant type maintenance work, you could have a good resource for both the heat gun & the shrink tube with the glue.

8:50 a.m. on January 25, 2012 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

f klock thanks for the link.

6:53 p.m. on January 31, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,206 forum posts

Once again it proves that cops exist so firefighters can have hreoes

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply