working with silnylon

11:56 a.m. on December 20, 2011 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

I am making gear with silnylon. Does anyone have advice on sewing this stuff ?

7:23 p.m. on December 20, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,481 forum posts

Pig Pen,

As much as I like Trailspace, it wouldn't be fair to not tell you to go to  Hammock Forums. It is free to join.

Hammock Forums has many members who routinely make their own gear, including several members who own cottage business selling custom gear including Cuban Fiber, PU/Silnylon, Silnylon, Event, Gore Tex, etc.

They have a "Do it Yourself" forum, as well as forums about specific gear makers.

Silnylon knowledge is easy to come by over there.

For the sake of disclosure I am a member of Hammock Forums also.

12:17 a.m. on December 21, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

seam tape

12:56 p.m. on December 22, 2011 (EST)
84 reviewer rep
66 forum posts

I made a one man tarp tent, stuff sacks and rain pack covers out of silnylon. Pins, pins, pins. Before you sew any seams, always pin it in place. That stuff will slide all over if you don't. Then make sure you go over all seams and any pinholes with a coat of clear silicone sealant. I use DAP 100% clear waterproof sealant for aquariums from my local hardware store. 

8:32 a.m. on December 24, 2011 (EST)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Doesnt the DAP just peel off in time?

11:57 a.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
84 reviewer rep
66 forum posts

I haven't had any DAP peel off, yet. I dilute it with either paint thinner or white gas. White gas works better. Once it gets more runny it saturates the stitches and sets into the fabric rather than laying on top in a thick coat. The white gas mixture dries quicker too.

2:35 p.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Hey Capow, nice to see you're still around! 

I am looking at making a shelter sometime, and am glad of all the advice and suggestions as well. 

4:39 p.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Very nice to know. I've been using a polyurathane glue mixed with a thiner. But the last time ot took weeks to dry. It works great and has lasted over 4 years. It just takes so long to dry.

5:15 p.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

,mineral spirits mixed with GE brand silicone.  Mix it really well.

7:21 p.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

How long does it last?

12:00 p.m. on January 24, 2012 (EST)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

denis daly said;

,mineral spirits mixed with GE brand silicone.  Mix it really well.

Use the low/ no odor minerals spirits or you will smell the minerals spirits for a while.  The low/no version can go in a couple of days.  Brand of silicon doesn't seem to make a difference.  Just make sure it is 100% silicon.  I've found the best way to mix the coating is 3 to 1 on a scale.  9 ozs (total solution) did the entire bottom of a Kelty Grand Mesa with some left over for the fly.  Stands up to the water hose test well.  Haven't had the opportunity to test under real and severe adverse conditions yet.

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply